Author Topic: Fairly new to the forum  (Read 4618 times)

Offline herofish

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
Fairly new to the forum
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Frederick, my family and I (wife and 3 very active boys) live in (brace yourself Boston) Boulder, CO.  While not quite the mecca of Liberals its made out to be in Molon Labe (there seem to be many shooters here), I think its more realistic to relocate to a more libertarian environment rather than trying to convert my current environment.

We have traveled a bit in Wyoming mostly on summer vacations, and have found that it can be very barren, and also very beautiful.  I am also enticed by many of the same reasons that Wyoming was chosen originally by the Free State Wyoming project.  I like the lack of a state income tax, as well as the friendly business climate.

I plan to purchase some land and establish residency in the next year if I can find a reasonable place.  I hope to meet in person some of the characters I have had the pleasure of reading about so far on this forum.

Frederick

Offline epilido

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • So walk tall, or baby, don't walk at all.
Re: Fairly new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »
Welcome.  I was just in your neck of the woods.  It is good to be home in WYO!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
I hope to meet in person some of the characters I have had the pleasure of reading about so far on this forum.

Welcome! If you come up to the NE corner here, be sure to let us know and we can gather at least some of the clan most any time. In any case, please plan to visit MamaLiberty! Just PM for directions to Mama's house. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »
Always wondered why the Coloradians are always up here hiking the Wyoming mountains instead of their own...just curious, what is the draw?

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline herofish

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :D

We were in Wyoming this year because of weather.  We actually had planned to camp for 2 weeks around Crested Butte, but there were torrential rains, so we checked the weather at the last min, and I convinced my family to check out Wyoming.  So, spur of the moment we decided to head through Wyoming to Montana, but liked Wyoming so much just stopped and stayed the whole time there!

Offline Beulahtrash

• Wolverine
  • Needs To Get Out More
  • I enchant the easily entertained
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:57 AM »
There are good people in CO. I know a few good shooters and libertarian minded individuals down there. After meeting people of good character who share my same interests, I have been known to go out of my way to help them move to this great state. Welcome.
"May your enemies be on full-auto" -Col. Jeff Cooper
"& may their side arms be modern 1911's." -Beulahtrash

III

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:48:53 AM »
Herofish,
Yes, much of WY looks like much of eastern CO! Barren.
Not much to look at.

But it's what we LACK that is most important: People.
We don't have DENVER and its masses.
We don't have CO SPRINGS and its masses.
Or the other big cities like Boulder.

Living in a state with a large urban population is like living in a county with a large city in it. No, you may live out of town, but the taxes, laws, regulations, zoning, fees, will be controlled by those in the city.

A Denver cop told me to my face (when I asked about OC) that they "would take me down at gunpoint" if they found that I had a perfectly legal handgun on me or on my front seat while driving thru town. How very friendly.

Contrast that out here where the local deputies are our Friends and Neighbors in many cases and support our carrying of weapons.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline herofish

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
@manfromnevada -- I agree with you 100%.  Fairly recently there were 2 men both carrying in the pedestrian zone in Boulder.  Both legally, one openly, the other concealed.  While I was not there (and can't vouch for the exact circumstances) both were arrested, even though they both have CCW permits, and their weapons taken away.  The last I heard they had already spent $10K defending themselves against charges stemming from exercising their lawful right to carry a handgun.

My goal is to be in a state the leaves me alone to pursue my goals as long as I don't hurt others, and to be near people who feel the same way as I.

The problem is that I moved to Boulder with my family as one of those Liberals.  I was focused on other things, and never really paid any attention to why I was voting the way I was voting, and why I believed what I believed from both an economic and political standpoint.  I was never exposed to economic or political theory except the very simplified and narrowly focused information fed to me by the public school system.

When I started teaching myself, and doing research I found that my former views were unfounded, and realized that I believed in ideas that put me at odds with most of the other people around me.  Thus I now find myself swimming against the current, and while it may be a noble idea to try to change the culture I find myself in, I would rather move to a culture that shares my beliefs.

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »

My goal is to be in a state the leaves me alone to pursue my goals as long as I don't hurt others, and to be near people who feel the same way as I.

The problem is that I moved to Boulder with my family as one of those Liberals.  I was focused on other things, and never really paid any attention to why I was voting the way I was voting, and why I believed what I believed from both an economic and political standpoint.  I was never exposed to economic or political theory except the very simplified and narrowly focused information fed to me by the public school system.

When I started teaching myself, and doing research I found that my former views were unfounded, and realized that I believed in ideas that put me at odds with most of the other people around me.  Thus I now find myself swimming against the current, and while it may be a noble idea to try to change the culture I find myself in, I would rather move to a culture that shares my beliefs.

This is a wonderful way to put it! Exactly what I feel too.
Welcome to the forum.

Offline stpeter

• Reader
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »
Always wondered why the Coloradians are always up here hiking the Wyoming mountains instead of their own...just curious, what is the draw?[/color]

The usual draw: freedom (even if only temporary in this case).

Offline stpeter

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »
Living in a state with a large urban population is like living in a county with a large city in it. No, you may live out of town, but the taxes, laws, regulations, zoning, fees, will be controlled by those in the city.

So true. I'm in Denver myself -- although working hard to move about 100 miles north :) -- and folks in the less populated parts of the state are simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of Front Range people. I figure Wyoming might be safe from such a decline, at least for the rest of my lifetime...

Offline herofish

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
Well, at least if there is an increase in population in Wyoming, hopefully it will be made up of people who cherish free-markets and liberty who can shoot. 

Does anyone care to comment on their first hand view of recent transplants?  I am curious if there is also a liberal migration for example in areas around Yellowstone of wealthy liberals, or in other areas for that matter?

Offline biathlon

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
Welcome to FSW stpeter. I love Corona lift at Eldora and ski there often. Usually have dinner at the Duchambe Tea House right down Canyon blvd afterwards and then(insert your favorite after ski activity here). I'm in Laramie with many other FSWers. ;D

Offline herofish

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 03:41:21 PM »
@biathalon,  you will have to ping me if you come down to ski at Eldora on the weekend, we spend the weekends there during the winter since its only 30 min away for us.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:13 AM »
Cool! Some new dogs to play with! I'm a ski patroller and get sweet deals often, especially at Eldora. Tell ya what. I'll get with ya when I get down there and if you guys come up here lift tickets are on me to Snowy Range. We're goin to the SNIAGRAB in Denver tomorrow. Ya gonna be there?