Author Topic: Hi, for the third time.  (Read 3212 times)

Offline HerrDreyer

• Reader
Hi, for the third time.
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
Hi again guys,

Just checkin' in. Still planning on coming on over to Wyo, and I'm making a way to do so. Trying to save up some money, and get a little better prepared. Some of you urged me to just uproot and come over, but it's about 2,000 miles and I would think that I'd be needing food, and a place to stay along the way so it isn't that simple, for me at least...

I have a few more questions;

What's the growing season like for vegetables?
Where's some of the more affordable land around some FSW members?
Is there anyone out there open to a roommate/renter?

How's the jobs? I'd work anything I could find, and around here there is nowhere to work...unemployment is 20+%...and some 37 of 40 construction workers just got laid off after being outbid on some work...right when I though I might have gotten a job... :-\

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Hi, for the third time.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
What's the growing season like for vegetables?
In Crook County, the growing season might be as long as May to October.  A hard hailstorm like last year could change that quickly.  This year, I think we planted a lot in May and the rest in June.

We got good early crops of snap peas and lettuce.  We got some cilantro, but it wanted to go to seed pretty quickly.  Our carrots were a waste of time, as well as our onions, even though we started with "sets".  The potatoes grew like crazy and almost certainly kept their neighbor plants from doing as well as they might.  (Note: grow potatoes in a completely separate area!)  Tomatoes produced nicely this year, especially the cherry tomatoes started from seed.

Corn grew well for a while, then pooped out while the ears were still rather small.  We enjoyed eating them though.  The squash, eggplant, cucumber, and bell pepper plants are trying to produce, but they really need a longer season.  Yes, I know that squash should be dead simple and a big performer -- anywhere!  Go figure!  With some luck, we may have a few more weeks of growing so we can harvest two or three bell peppers and maybe one eggplant.  I doubt that we will get even one squash or watermelon before the frost kills the plants.

To make the story short: tomatoes, snap peas, and lettuce are good performers.  Corn is a decent second place.  Potatoes take care of themselves and produce a small but easy harvest (just keep them away from the other plants).  If you like radishes (I don't), they give a decent early harvest.  Beets, onions, and carrots are a COMPLETE waste of space and effort, from my experience.  The herbs basil and rosemary do produce, but very slowly.  And cilantro may or may not produce well before going to seed (coriander).

How's the jobs? I'd work anything I could find, and around here there is nowhere to work...
That sounds like a good reason to just move here and throw the dice.  You have probably read the reports of jobs at the mines, and rumors of high pay for overtime and company buses to get the workers to the job site easier.  I am sure there are worse jobs than driving a truck around a coal mine.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:52 AM »
The growing season can be extended nicely by starting plants indoors and then transplanting to the garden. The soil you have - or create - makes a big difference, of course, but rhodges is correct that corn and most squash might not do too well because it just doesn't get hot enough here sometimes - especially at any elevation and in a forest.

I got about 25 pounds of salad type tomatoes off 4 plants this year, but the zucchini has not produced much. The grasshoppers certainly didn't help any.

Gardening here is a real challenge, and it changes from year to year - sometimes month to month! But it can be done. A greenhouse or series of cold frames would make it much better. I'm working on it. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
Look here.http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/HR/hrEmployment/listjobs.asp?jobtype=1
I know I'm gonna get beat up for this but time is growing shorter to get ready. Take whatever you can find NOW and sort out the details later. Being here will open a lot of doors. Good luck. ;D

Offline HerrDreyer

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
I really appreciate the replies guys and gals. Thanks for the growing info rhodges and MamaLiberty!

How's the jobs? I'd work anything I could find, and around here there is nowhere to work...
[/quote]
That sounds like a good reason to just move here and throw the dice.  You have probably read the reports of jobs at the mines, and rumors of high pay for overtime and company buses to get the workers to the job site easier.  I am sure there are worse jobs than driving a truck around a coal mine.
[/quote]

Well, easier said then done. Right now I'm a college student with no real work experience outside the farm, and that seems to not matter to anyone anymore.

Being here will open a lot of doors. Good luck. ;D

I certainly hope so, because I've been looking for a steady job for about 2 1/2 years with closed doors....

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »
There actually ARE farm and ranch jobs available around here. Most of the young men here prefer the mines, etc., so the farm jobs go begging often. You might really fall into a great deal with your experience!

Offline biathlon

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:11:28 AM »
Mama's right. There's lots of ag sorts around here and Laramie also has(insert most young mens favorite passtime here)too! ;D

Offline B-LINE

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »
Mama's right. There's lots of ag sorts around here and Laramie also has(insert most young mens favorite passtime here)too! ;D

Norm, is the (insert most young mens favorite passtime here), Girls, or Guns? ;D ;D

Offline biathlon

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »
Young female members of the opposite gender. ;D The weather here has been in favor of the new style, heels longer than skirts.  >:D

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
Young female members of the opposite gender. ;D The weather here has been in favor of the new style, heels longer than skirts.  >:D

Still trying to figure out what this has to do with farm/ranch jobs...  >:D