Author Topic: Self-move question  (Read 11118 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Self-move question
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
mcphoto.tif

Trying to insert pic of my Virago...taken about 15 yrs ago at a rally up in Steamboat Springs.

Take a look at this thread about how to post pictures and so forth.
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=12281.0
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Thanks, ML.  I actually just did that, but since the photo isn't on the internet and just on my thumb drive and in the computer, I am unable to post it. 
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
Thanks, ML.  I actually just did that, but since the photo isn't on the internet and just on my thumb drive and in the computer, I am unable to post it. 

Figured it might be that. :) You can get a "flicker" account or photo bucket and upload them there. I have my own website.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline mystica

• FSW Associate
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

Mystica:  I got the riding thing down pretty much, it's the "picking the bike up when you drop it" thing that I have trouble with! ;D  If this WY thing happens, I will definitely let you know.  Heck, you've already been there and done that with a 20' hauling an 8' U-Haul, and on a much longer move.

So I now see :). Maybe they should make hydraulic lifts for smaller girls on big motorcycles. I'm not going to Sturgis or probably even I-70, just want to ride open in the mountains and back roads (and around town), so am looking for a 350 something. Would be happy for yours and Paul's input on a good starter bike.

As to lonely-among-a-crowd, I agree, the important thing is community, people who share your interests and values. Very happy to meet you.

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
  Thanks for the offer.  You, Mystica, other single ladies, and I need to get together at the rally!

Absolutely. Keep me posted- I love road trips, and you sound like great company... it would be a fun drive!

We should do that, good idea! A thing for all the ladies to meet, a 'Womens Circle', if you will. I read a nice book recently, Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel, and one of the main theme's in these ladie's journals and letters (both attached and unattached) was a longing for female companionship both on the road and when they arrived out West. It's cool to just kick back and relax with the girls once in a while, it would be a nice way to introduce ourselves to the others. I imagine lots of chit-chat and quite a few belly-laughs! Let's do it.

Offline nurseJT

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
Be sure to check for price differences for dropping off at various sites near to your final destination.
Just this morning I was quite surprised to see that it would cost $300 more to drop a 26 foot truck in Casper than in Lander.
I was expecting to pay a premium for dropping in the smaller town.

FWIW - one of my co-workers last year hit the 1 million mile mark as a professional mover (side business).
His recommendation is to stay away from U-Haul for long trips as they have a bad reputation for durability and fleet maintenance.
It seems that a U-Haul vehicle is much more likely to break down and leave you (and all your stuff) stranded alongside the road.
He says Penske is a much better choice for long distance hauls.

Fine tuning my plans for the move to WY in July.
Take care,
nurseJT
"We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it." - William Faulkner

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
Congrats NurseJT on your upcoming move!  Should I make the move, it'll only be about a 6-1/2 hr trip.  I get mixed results on U-Haul, Penske choices. 

KK

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
re: AIM [We should do that, good idea! A thing for all the ladies to meet, a 'Womens Circle', if you will.]  Absolutely!!!

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
I concur with JT. When I came out here from NV I found it was cheaper to drop off the trailer at Sundance, a bit farther, than at Moorcroft or even Gillette. I believe it has something to do with where they have an excess or a shortage.

Also, the season makes a big difference. Most people move in the summer, hence a higher price due to greater demand. Same with weekend/weekday.

I kick myself now for renting that trailer (enclosed). Like any rental, it seems that if you rent it twice it nearly pays for the retail cost of BUYING it! But I thought that twice would be it, and I'd be done, but then my wife needed to make two more trips. We could have BOUGHT a trailer and kept it, but each time we thought it was the LAST time. Duh. Live and learn.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
re: I concur with JT. When I came out here from NV I found it was cheaper to drop off the trailer at Sundance, a bit farther, than at Moorcroft or even Gillette. I believe it has something to do with where they have an excess or a shortage.  Also, the season makes a big difference. Most people move in the summer, hence a higher price due to greater demand. Same with weekend/weekday.  I kick myself now for renting that trailer (enclosed). Like any rental, it seems that if you rent it twice it nearly pays for the retail cost of BUYING it! But I thought that twice would be it, and I'd be done, but then my wife needed to make two more trips. We could have BOUGHT a trailer and kept it, but each time we thought it was the LAST time. Duh. Live and learn.  Mac

Really good, practical info to know.  Thanks, Mac.

KK