Author Topic: Wyoming Drivers' Licenses  (Read 4141 times)

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Wyoming Drivers' Licenses
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
Has WY inserted a computer chip in its drivers' licenses?  If so, can a person opt out?  Talk about invasion of privacy--I think Colorado either has instituted the chip or will.
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
Re: Wyoming Drivers' Licenses
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Has WY inserted a computer chip in its drivers' licenses?  If so, can a person opt out?  Talk about invasion of privacy--I think Colorado either has instituted the chip or will.

Chip?  In Colorado, they demand your digital fingerprint to get a license.
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
Looks as if you can get one, but not "mandatory" yet.

Driver's licenses to feature radio chips  http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/40970/
State introducing cards that encode personal information
...enhanced driver’s license will require verified proof of citizenship, identity and residence.

“They will look similar to current licenses and ID cards,” Jacobsen explained, “but will have an icon on the front that indicates the holder is a U.S. citizen.”

The $40 fee for the RFID license is designed to be less than the cost to apply for a passport ($97 on initial application, plus $67 to renew every 15 years). Regular driver’s licenses in Washington state cost $25 to renew every five years.

“The enhanced driver’s license will cost significantly less than a passport, but will carry many of the same features,” Jacobsen stressed. “Features will include an embedded technology that will allow for quick and effective identification checks at border crossings.”
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
ML: “The enhanced driver’s license will cost significantly less than a passport, but will carry many of the same features,” Jacobsen stressed. “Features will include an embedded technology that will allow for quick and effective identification checks at border crossings.”

Like gun laws do not stop criminals, the enhanced driver's license will not stop illegal immigration.  Just another overreach by big brother wrapping his tentacles ever tighter.  But, just my opinion.
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »

Like gun laws do not stop criminals, the enhanced driver's license will not stop illegal immigration.  Just another overreach by big brother wrapping his tentacles ever tighter. 

Well, of COURSE! :)  We weren't talking about that - just whether or not the silly "license" had a chip or not. For now, you have to pay lots more for it.  Never had a "passport," and never will.  ;D

It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
I have a passport so Ill just opt out of the enhansed DL. ::)

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
I got a passport about month ago. It cost $45 all told. $10 for the photos, $5 for the clerks fee, and $30 for the state department. Now I didn't get the "passport book," which will cost you extra, so I can only go to Canada and Mexico. But travel wasn't my motivation for getting the passport. Like this so called chip, a passport shows your identity and your citizenship. (Although I do have fundamental issues with being constantly accosted by supposed authorities demanding to see my "papers," that's another discussion in and of itself.) So the benefit of the passport card is that you can "identify" yourself without revealing key pieces of your personal information, namely your social security number and your address. Usually people request your SS# to verify your citizenship status, but the passport eliminates the need to give out your number. You can't get a passport without one (again there's another discussion involving this item, but I'm talking in general terms here), so having a passport proves your citizenship. And while it has a photograph and your date of birth, it does not show your address. So you can show "proof" that you are who you say, without revealing where you live. As far as this chip is concerned, I would be very leary. Sounds like just another tracking device to me.
Nunya Bidness