Author Topic: "Make My Day" Law  (Read 3590 times)

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
"Make My Day" Law
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
You've all probably heard about MMD law in Colorado (and other places?).  Does WY have something similar?

KK
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
Re: "Make My Day" Law
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »
You've all probably heard about MMD law in Colorado (and other places?).  Does WY have something similar?

KK

It doesn't yet, but we are working on it. ;)
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline Mjolnir

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • The Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
Make my day laws (better known as Stand Your Ground/Removal of a Duty to Retreat) do not yet exist in Wyoming.

But, Wyoming does support Castle Laws (Duty to Retreat is removed in residences)

I believe that Wyoming also expanded the definition of a residence to possibly include places of temporary residence (ie motels) but I'm not 100%. 

I'm also not a legal expert, so don't quote me on anything either :)
”Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”<br />~George Washington

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
Hmmm, surprised that WY is actually behind CO on this important law, but good to know it is being worked on.

KK

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
Often, such laws appear in states as a reaction to prosecutorial abuse. I don't think there is much of that sort of thing in Wyoming (outside of things like drug busts) so there's probably not so much pressure for the law. But I wouldn't downgrade Wyoming on that account.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
Paul:  Often, such laws appear in states as a reaction to prosecutorial abuse. I don't think there is much of that sort of thing in Wyoming (outside of things like drug busts) so there's probably not so much pressure for the law. But I wouldn't downgrade Wyoming on that account.

Oh no, never even thought about that being a mark against Wyoming!  Good point though on the prosecutorial abuse issue.  I have no idea what precipitated the law for CO.  There are pockets of sanity here so maybe it was pushed by some conservatives.  I do know that El Paso County where I live has a "shall issue" law for the CCW permits.  Heck, when I went to get mine, they almost served it to me on a silver platter.  I was expecting to be grilled, but just the opposite.

KK