Author Topic: n00b  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Tron

n00b
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:56:48 AM »
Hail friends!

I decided to follow the web trail that Boston left all over his books and I've followed it here.  I always thought that we were pretty free here in the US of A but, alas I've been mistaken about that.  Through 12 years of military service (ongoing) and Boston's books I've pretty much decided my course of action.  Unfortunately, due to duty requirements and such its going to be somewhat more drawn out than I'd like.

Anyways, I am a 12 year Navy vet, trained in avionics repair and troubleshooting and ship's security.  As such I have working knowledge of electrical theory and design and have been qualified on the standard issue firearms in the Navy: M9, M16/M4, M240B and M500.  I toy with leatherworking, enjoy homebrewing and ride an American motorcycle.  I follow an 'alternative' religion that emphasizes community and honorable service.  My wife and I believe in doing the right thing even if it nips us in the bud after and we're expecting our first child in November.

My migration will probably come around my 20 year retirement from the military unless the 'admiral' wants us to move sooner and set roots before then.  But, I still have to sell the idea to her first.  Any 'lessons learned' that have been found useful would be great in that endeavor.

Till then, cheers and cowboy up!

Ben, aka: Tron

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
Re: n00b
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:04:22 AM »
Tron,

Thank you for your service, even if it is in the Navy… I think you will find plenty or camaraderie and advice here. This forum is very deep, I have only been wading around for a few months and while I have not lost interest, I have not “seen the half of it”.

Welcome aboard!

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
Don't take KTKEWW's anti-Navy Smack to heart... there are several Ex Squids here... (but not me..)  ;)  ;) :D

The rest seems right in keeping with the general local nonconventionality...  ;D
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
Speaking as the female half of a couple...leave stuff around for her to read (like Boston's book? I haven't read it but it might do nicely). Ease into it slowly. Answer questions and talk about things as they come up - as SHE brings them up.

I guarantee you there is an excellent chance that she, too, is feeling a little uneasy and uncertain about what the future holds! A recent poll said 65% of those in the U.S. are expecting some sort of catastrophe to happen and only 10-15% thought they were ready for it.

Re: easing into it....She'd probably be open to the idea of stocking up on staples when they are on sale, if for no other reason, to let her have the freedom to rest up and enjoy the new baby rather than having to make trips to the store all the time!

She might be willing to consider renewable infant items, rather than disposable ones. I found that "old" diapers from the diaper service were completely serviceable, lasting through two kids of my own, incredibly absorbant, and better quality but cheaper than those in the stores. I only bought disposables for when they'd be at (for example) the church nursery. Washable nursing pads were nicer, too, than the disposables. Cloth is just kinder to skin than paper!

Renewable items, of course, take a little more effort to clean and reuse - but not much more effort than a trip to the store and hauling out the trash. And they are certainly kinder on the wallet!

Not to mention that nursing a baby is essentially "free" (the mom might eat a tad more), and a lot more hassle-free and healthier than going the formula route!

These habits also get you used to being in a mindset of "how would I do this if I couldn't run down to the corner store to just pick something up?"

Read a lot. There are a lot of good blogs out there, and some very good apocalyptic fiction is being published right now. Much of it is of the free/.99/1.99 variety in e-book format - and there are programs allowing you to read e-books on the computer, so you don't even need a Nook or a Kindle.

Finally, the goal you will have is obvious: a safer place for her and the baby, and a safer place for your child (or children) to grow up. At the heart of it, this is something she wants, too. Remember that.

My significant other found a blog entry somewhere about "how to get your spouse to go along with your prepper ideas" or something like that. It had some good ideas...although, unknown to him, I'd had almost a year's supply of food and a bunch of water, along with emergency shelter (tent), first aid, clothing, and shoes, nearly two decades ago - long before I met him. For me, this is largely just returning to the level of "prep" I had before, ramped up a bit, with the idea of adding some more useful items and skills. I didn't take much convincing. ;)