Author Topic: Hello Wyoming FSP  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Jimbo11

Hello Wyoming FSP
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
I thought I would drop in and say hello, I been a long time follower of the FSP in NH and considered moving at one point. I was born and live in Washington state so it was a really far move from family and the North East has a lot of negatives I wasn't comfortable with. My daughters are getting to be outside and playing age so we are over due to get out to a rural farm and get them out of Seattle. We sold the house this morning. Me and my wife both grew up out on the San Juan Islands and were going to go crazy one more month in the city.

Arizona had been the leading candidate but I began having reservations about the long term security, and it really came down to security vs weather which is making us looking further North, all of the rural western states with the exception of NV and NM are under consideration.

My research in to Wyoming is beginning, the weather and the lack of seclusion on flat land is a bit worrisome the low population and the FSP are bright spots are keeping it on the list.

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
Re: Hello Wyoming FSP
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
I am sure these fine folks will weigh in on their particular regions, but after my recent research and visit, the NE corner (black hills region, Crook & Weston counties) sound like what you are looking for, as you mentioned climate and terrain.

Welcome, by the way...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:05:55 AM »
Welcome, Jimbo11. You'll find weather, good and bad, anywhere in the world you might go. It's just something more to prepare for, adjust to and even make use of.

I lived in So. California most of my life, and was very afraid of the snow and cold. It didn't take me long to adjust, astonishingly so, and now I don't mind it at all. Actually having four seasons is wonderful in so many ways. So don't let that hang you up from finding a strong community to ride out the REAL storm coming. The key to survival will be those close community ties, mutual help and mutual defense. Nobody's going to survive this alone.

Come visit as soon as you can. Get to know us face to face. Then make a decision. But I wouldn't linger over it...  The fan is rotating fast.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »
Jimbo,
There is no Wyoming FSP. That's a east coast thing. We are the Free State Wyoming. FSW. No "project" here!
Welcome to the forum.
Mac (Devils Tower)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
Hey Jimbo,

I'm like you, I don't live in NH or WY. I'm trying to decide when/if I should move. I've been to NE Wyoming as well as western SD and it's nice. I have relatives who live in western WY and I'm a big college sports fan so I'm thinking carefully. Good luck in what ever you choose.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Jimbo11

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »
Hey Jimbo,

I'm like you, I don't live in NH or WY. I'm trying to decide when/if I should move. I've been to NE Wyoming as well as western SD and it's nice. I have relatives who live in western WY and I'm a big college sports fan so I'm thinking carefully. Good luck in what ever you choose.

The last thing I'd want to do is discourage a prospective mover but I will share why I didn't end up going to NH, 

Number one was the distance from the west, To far from familiarity & family.

2) Population density of the East coast & Nuclear plants.

3) Property Taxes and prices. (High)

I've been accused of being paranoid, I prefer to look as it as paying attention but any kind of societal collapse major world wide disaster or serious war and New Hampshire is not where I want to be, there's no escape by land if there's any type of massive civil unrest which I give a high probability in mine or my childrens lifetime, I believe sooner than later.

I went to a few festivals out in NH I really enjoyed myself, the people are great for someone not as catastrophe minded as myself you might not find it as unsuitable.The population density of Wyoming is very attractive, my current dilemma with it as a candidate is the Off-grid house I've designed is entirely based around a desert climate and Wyomings climate will require a lot of modification. (Solar powered & earth bermed.)

We move out tomorrow, First to Oregon for a brief stay with relatives Then our routes Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, then North Arizona settling on the best prospect.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
Jimbo,
Just FYI regarding solar heated homes:
I live in Crook County, in the Black Hills. I have a well insulated modular (not manufactured) home. R21 walls, double pane windows, R kazzillion in the attic. I have a good southern exposure and even on a day with a high of 20F, when the sun is out there's enough solar insolation to keep the furnace off during the hours of 11 to sunset. I frequently open my front door and let the sun shine in thru the glass storm door.

I have a full basement, that I've insulated with R19, and with all the heat vents closed it maintains a nice year round temp of about 65F. As you are probably aware of, there's about 1KW/sq meter of solar power and it doesn't much matter on latitude if you can accept a low angle. My latitude here is 44.52N with an elevation of 4,950'.

Just saying that I wouldn't exclude WY because of your building plans for direct solar heating.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
Actually Wyoming has a lot of solar plusses. It's sunnier than a lot of states that far north, and it is dry (which is good for bermed homes). I have seen several such homes there. The main thing is to build out of the wind.  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.