Author Topic: Moving From Virginia~Looking for an area  (Read 11829 times)

Offline poply3

• Reader
    • zionist outrage
Moving From Virginia~Looking for an area
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
Greetings from the Communist state (Virginia). I am in a position to move to Wyoming now but I am having difficulty deciding on a county. I think I am leaning toward the Black Hills area. I don't want to live in town if I can help it but I am open minded. I plan to car camp to start with. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks, Larry 
Pop

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Moving From Virginia~Looking for an area
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »
The first question is whether you need to get a job with a local company. If yes, then that might limit your location search somewhat.

If not, then maybe you have other options. Maybe you have a great job that you can do anywhere so long as you have good Internet access. Or maybe you have savings or investments that allow you to retire wherever you like. Maybe you don't have a lot of assets but can live forever if you stay frugal.

It's not easy to give advice from the limited information you gave.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline poply3

• Reader
    • zionist outrage
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
I am sorry about the information. I am 65 years old and on social security and alone. No Job is needed. Larry
Pop

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
Then my suggestions are to look at the towns of Newcastle and Sundance.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline poply3

• Reader
    • zionist outrage
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »
Thanks, I will
Pop

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:38:58 AM »
I am sorry about the information. I am 65 years old and on social security and alone. No Job is needed. Larry

Come visit us in Newcastle! Would love to show you our little town. And there are places available around it too.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:25:22 AM »
Welcome from an ex Old Dominioner. Do go visit with mama.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:13:57 AM »
Poply3,
Welcome to the forum. We have LOTS of info here, just look around.
Take a look at the Housing and Real Estate pages.
My advice is to rent something in the area you're interested in and stay at least 6 months or 12 to get a feel of the local folks, the climate, the lay of the land. I live up in the boondocks in the Black Hills and love it. A bit tough at times. To each his own.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline poply3

• Reader
    • zionist outrage
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
Thanks for the help and friendliness, these two things are in short supply in my neck of the woods.   
Pop

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »

Not to be a party pooper, but it's unlikely social security will remain unchanged and paying forever. You may want to have a plan B.  ;)
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline poply3

• Reader
    • zionist outrage
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
You are absolutely correct about Social Security. I agree with you as anyone who has spent much time at my web-site knows.  Thanks, Larry
Pop

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »
Greetings from the Communist state (Virginia). I am in a position to move to Wyoming now but I am having difficulty deciding on a county. I think I am leaning toward the Black Hills area. I don't want to live in town if I can help it but I am open minded. I plan to car camp to start with. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks, Larry 

Larry, if you've got the freedom to car camp then why not take your time on a tour
around the state before settling?  It's certainly been my favorite mode of seeing
the entire area. I think the savings on hotels has more than paid for gas.

Welcome,

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
I second Terence's idea. You might want to temporarily get a mailbox-store mailbox somewhere centrally located to get your mail at, then explore the areas that you think are most likely. You can easily drive through most of the state in a few days, or spend more time poking around and take a couple of weeks to do it. Then settle where YOU like it best!  ;D

Offline poply3

• Reader
    • zionist outrage
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 07:05:57 AM »
Very Good advice. Thanks, Larry
Pop

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:47 AM »
I really like Weston County and lived there for 6 months. I live in Johnson County now. It's pretty here and there's a lot to do if you like the outdoors, but I miss the people in Weston and Crook counties because I think they are friendlier and more welcoming towards outsiders. I recently met some really great folks living in the Casper area as well. I suggest staying away from Johnson County. Your mileage may vary, however.
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner