Author Topic: What's the best truck for Wyoming?  (Read 25520 times)

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
Re: What's the best truck for Wyoming?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »
Actually Paul, the Cummins 12v is very versatile. From the factory, they were getting better than 20 MPG in a lot of the trucks that historically would get crappy mileage. That particular engine is an old engine that has been used in many different applications. Years ago, I decided to try logging and the log skidder I drove had the same engine as my pickup. Because it is a common engine with a lot of history, their a quite a few different a proven ways in which it can be modified to increase performance as well as economy.

Damn near all of the advances in diesel technology these days is for emissions control. Yes, there have been a few advances in the power department, but those were all made because something had to be done to overcome the power losses due to new emissions requirements. They came out with a good product years ago that had plenty of power and good economy and then the environmentalists stepped in and made their demands. tying to appease them, the power deisels are know for was lost. Then the engine makers figured out a way to regain the performance their product used to have and they try to sell it as something new. Their is very little that a new diesel engine can do today that an older Cummins or International can't do just as well or better, and more often than not, cheaper.

Alot of what goes into a new vehicle these days is something they convince you that you need, when the main purpose is to simply be able to charge you more. I don't need gps, or a urea additive to keep my exhaust clean. I don't have to have a light alerting me to a low tire or a loose gas cap.

There are lots of options when it comes to trucks and none of them are wrong. A person just need to decide what their reasons are for wanting a truck and not buy into all the hoopla that is out there. With the prices they charge for new trucks today, They ought to come with a Swedish hooker and an alibi. I can't see the sense in paying so damned much for the trucks they are putting out these days.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 06:00:32 AM »
If I was in the truck buying realm...

Unimog Doka.

Here's one I wish we could get in the US:

The Brazilian "Troller" - Diesel 4x4

Watch it swim: (about 2/3 the way into the Brazilian news clip...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDsxbUpaQ0k  >:D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:22:42 AM by Old Ironsights »
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Hey Tex I hear ya. When we had that hay farm up in Deaver, the farmer who came to cut my hay had one of those Cummins 12v engines running the mower IIRC.

And yeah, it's largely true about the emissions stuff. But I wouldn't sneer about the urea. At least it is better than the emissions technology it replaced, EGR (it's a pain in the rear to take your intake manifold off every 50k miles or so to clean the grunge out).

Make sure you run some biodiesel in those old engines with injection pumps that depend on sulfur for lubricity...

To be honest, I like running a clean diesel for my everyday driver. But I know it won't survive EMP. What do you think of my idea for 2 vehicles, with the old diesel truck held in reserve?

Another idea is just to get a 2WD truck and put a winch on the bumper for pulling you out of trouble. I think more people have 4WD than really need one. I've never felt the need to pay that weight and MPG and initial cost penalty to get 4WD. If 2WD trucks with the old Cummins are all that are available for a reasonable price, get that.

BTW I do love those Cummins engines. We had a Dodge with the 24v version for the ranch, it was something else. Definitely prefer it to the V8 diesels.

BTW what's the last year for the 12v without computer? All this talk has me looking in craigslist!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:48:18 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
98 1/2 was when they came out with the 24v. I do not know when the last year for the noncomputerized 12v is. One thing I do not like about a 2wd with a diesel is the excess weight of the engine and no way to help pull itself out of a mudhole. Growing up in Texas, the 4x4 didn't really get popular until recently. When diesels started becoming popular and showing their worth, alot of people would buy one in a 2wd. The weight of that heavy engine would insure that you got stuck if the ground was wet.

We have a 99 Dodge 3/4ton 4x4 with the 24v and we have a 96 F350 4x4 with the International. Both trucks are is serious need of upgrades, but they will get that before we buy a new truck. Occasionally a patient person can find a 1st generation Dodge with a 12v Cummins in a 2wd model. I have actually seen these trucks for sale for less than the core charge on the Cummins. When the time comes, I will be looking for one of these. I'll pull the motor and scrap the truck. I will be fixing the 96 F350 into another welding truck within the next few weeks. The next truck though will probably be a mid80's Chevy 4x4 dually with a beefed up 12v dropped in it. I have an old 79 F350 that was my late uncle's last rig truck and the plan is to build that thing from the ground up the way he would have if he were doing it today. That truck will also have a 12v in it.

As I said before, there is no one correct answer. If having two trucks works, I say stick with that. We have five different trucks here on the ranch and it seems they all have a different purpose. I saw a biodiesel refining set up for sale on craigslist that I wish I could afford. With some of those older diesels there are options when it comes to what one can use for fuel. There may come a day where I do get a newer truck for meeting clients and checking on jobsites, but for the actual work, I hope to stick with the older diesels. There are a lot of options available for someone willing to take the time to get exactly what they want and need.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »
Looking on the Portland craigslist I find lots more 4WD than 2WD and lots more auto trans than manuals. I don't think the gearboxes were mentioned yet on this thread. Here is one example:
http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/4157524369.html
The gassers are much more numerous and cheaper than the diesels especially around this age. When you do find 2WD trucks they are very often duallys...

Fuel injection is also better for places with mountains than carburetors since it compensates for altitude, at least in motorcycles (true for trucks as well?)

One other factor is a good support website. I've been very lucky with the VW marque which has tdiclub.com. Knowledge about what to do for maintenance is half the battle. Some folks go to ridiculous lengths to show how to do a job with lots of photos. BTW this is why I am less concerned about electronics (outside of the EMP problem). A good website handles such issues. Maybe it doesn't hurt that I spent half my life troubleshooting electronics though! Most electrical problems are corrosion or other problems with connectors, and corrosion is not so bad in a dry place like Wyoming.

Offline 338_LM

• Reader
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
Having lived off-highway on a horribly-maintained county gravel road and 1.25 mile long private driveway for 24 years, here's what I've found to work (and not), from best to worst...

Mercedes Unimogs - unrealistic for on-highway travel, but unstoppable off-road.  (It's not just their slogan...)  Most retired military vehicles are robust enough for an off-highway life.  I have four Unimogs, and they all do very well so long as you don't pound too much pavement with them.  For the ranch, THE BEST, most capable, most reliable, hands down.  (But you gotta love working on stuff, you can't mind waiting for the occasional part, and it's nice to have a lathe around...)

Toyota Land Cruisers - also very robust and capable.  I have three of these remaining (a '75 FJ-40, '85 FJ-60, and '85 HJ-75) and they're built to handle the tough roads and bentonite mud we have around here.

Mid 1970's Chevy 2500 pickup -  fed my cattle for 20 years, and mostly survived.  The weak spot was the front axle, which was always needing some love.

2000 Ford F-350 Diesel - I've been pleasantly surprised.  The body and chassis have held up well, but the plastic-riden clutch system is a joke.  When the 7.3 "PowerStroke" wears out, she's getting a 12-valve Cummins with NO computer, and metal clutch parts, if I have to make them myself.

I'll throw in Subaru, tho' not a "truck" at all.  TOTAL JUNK off-highway.  I had bought a new '03 Outback for my wife.  It was designed in such a way that virtually ALL the mud coming from inside the front tires wound up packed up above the exhaust heat shield and around the reap prop-shaft.  That mud nearly cut that prop-shaft in half, and White's in Casper told me they would not honor the warranty at 3,500 miles because the wagon "showed signs of abuse from atypical use" - from that mud.  It was 100% design-flaw.  And abuse?  For driving on a muddy road?  Have you SEEN their commercials?

My biggest complaint is that virtually nothing today can take the mud here.  As with Subaru, engineers don't plan on it.  It rips the fender liners out, cuts prop-shafts, and destroys just about everything that's the norm for modern-day vehicles, which seem to be, to quote Frank Zappa, "A little bit cheesy, but nicely displayed."   

Older stuff is, hands down, MUCH better, IMHO.  I just bought a 2012 4x4 Tacoma to cap and use for a dog-hauler...  I am not impressed, and it will be my last Toyota, ever.  Ride is nice on and off-highway, but the fuel mileage is a joke - 18.5mpg is the best I can do, even keeping interstate speeds to 65mph - and the mud's pulling the fender liners off already.  At 6,500 miles, the seats and dash rattle horribly, and worst of all, the exhaust runs UNDER the transfer case, unprotected, so not only is there a serious crush-risk, but if I take it off a maintained road, I'm gonna light the ranch grass afire.

One dear friend spent 30 years in the coal industry in Thunder Basin.  He had multiple Fords that suffered terribly running in dirt and coal.  He ended his career with two Toyota Tundras, and they did fare far better than the Fords.  The weak spot for the Ford F-150s was the rear disk brakes...The coal dust would seize the calipers every year (or less).  The trouble with the Tundra came in the air pump (emissions), which was over $3K to replace - TWICE in 100,000 miles, on his last one.  His factory extended warranty DID cover it, tho'.

- Darrin (be back in six months...  ;D )

--------------------
A government should not be conflated with "the country", or "the people". It's an entity with its own interests, and will always put it's interests first. It treats its subjects as milk cows and if it has to, it will treat them as beef cows.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »
To Hell with all this nonsense about macho trucks. I've found the vehicle that is ME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Well, maybe this one instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo

There will always be an England...  :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:03:36 AM by Paul Bonneau »

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
To Hell with all this nonsense about macho trucks. I've found the vehicle that is ME:

Well, maybe this one instead:

There will always be an England...  :D
? They are the same link?
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
Oops, my bad. I fixed it.

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
There is a REASON that even Mr. Bean takes exception to the Robin... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1U-85lzkQ

(This became a running Gag in the Show...)

>:D
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
Fuel injection is also better for places with mountains than carburetors since it compensates for altitude, at least in motorcycles (true for trucks as well?)

No question that a computerized engine with a closed loop system is superior on naturally aspirated gassers, Paul.  And if a guy goes diesel and is at altitude, a turbocharged version is absolutely necessary, particularly with an older diesel with a mechanical pump.  -And it'll still smoke...  Gotta get pretty old to find a truck minus a turbo.

Even with computers compensating for lower pressure, and turbos/aftercoolers on diesels, there is a significant loss in power, especially as you get above 7K and 8K ft.  Just not enough O2 available for adequate power output.
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
EMP may not be as much of an issue as thought:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
EMP may not be as much of an issue as thought:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Another great, but inconclusive article.  :)

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »
Sounds pretty conclusive to me:

The EMP may have been as high as 10,000 volts per meter in un-monitored areas of Kazakhstan, but not any higher.  We know that it is possible to rather easily generate 50,000 volts per meter with an old second-generation nuclear weapon of the proper design.

In other words, we are all screwed. Keeping an old truck going when there is no fuel in the face of this sort of attack seems pretty pointless. An optimist might keep a few totes filled with diesel fuel and enough biodiesel to lend lubricity, as well as biocide to keep the bugs out. Mount them high enough to use gravity feed into the truck filler necks. And cycle through this fuel to use it before it goes bad. Good luck.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
How about a steam powered vehicle?  ;D They used to be all the rage (in the 20's!)