Author Topic: What's the best truck for Wyoming?  (Read 25522 times)

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
Re: What's the best truck for Wyoming?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:08 AM »
How about a steam powered vehicle?  ;D They used to be all the rage (in the 20's!)

How about a hay powered apparatus? I have quite a few of those and I could be talked out of a few fairly cheap. They too were all the rage at different times in history. Should something catastrophic ever happen, I expect they will be all the rage again.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 02:49:47 PM »
How about a steam powered vehicle?  ;D They used to be all the rage (in the 20's!)

How about a hay powered apparatus? I have quite a few of those and I could be talked out of a few fairly cheap. They too were all the rage at different times in history. Should something catastrophic ever happen, I expect they will be all the rage again.

Tex

And the advantage to utilizing hay powered equipment is the output.  Good for the garden or most anything that likes sunshine...  Sure beats buying triple12.  Sorta like recycling, the old-fashioned way.  Heh.
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline J-B-T Jager

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
Hey Tex I hear ya. When we had that hay farm up in Deaver, the farmer who came to cut my hay had one of those Cummins 12v engines running the mower IIRC.

And yeah, it's largely true about the emissions stuff. But I wouldn't sneer about the urea. At least it is better than the emissions technology it replaced, EGR (it's a pain in the rear to take your intake manifold off every 50k miles or so to clean the grunge out).

Make sure you run some biodiesel in those old engines with injection pumps that depend on sulfur for lubricity...

To be honest, I like running a clean diesel for my everyday driver. But I know it won't survive EMP. What do you think of my idea for 2 vehicles, with the old diesel truck held in reserve?

Another idea is just to get a 2WD truck and put a winch on the bumper for pulling you out of trouble. I think more people have 4WD than really need one. I've never felt the need to pay that weight and MPG and initial cost penalty to get 4WD. If 2WD trucks with the old Cummins are all that are available for a reasonable price, get that.

BTW I do love those Cummins engines. We had a Dodge with the 24v version for the ranch, it was something else. Definitely prefer it to the V8 diesels.

BTW what's the last year for the 12v without computer? All this talk has me looking in craigslist!

89' to 93' had bosch ve44 pump.

94' to 98' had bosch p7100 pump.
Quote "the constitution is just a goddamn piece of paper" george w. bush, Nov.5 2005, Capital Hill blue

Offline wyoprairielady

• Casual Observer
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »
79 F250 400 automatic 4x4 with a winch
No guts, no glory.  No pain no gain.

Offline wildman

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
Get a FORD!
YOU are the resistance.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
Lately, I have been wishing that I could buy an Isuzu diesel 4x4, sold in the US as the "Chevy Luv". My wife's light Toyota pickup is decent, but I could really go for 4wd and diesel.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"