Author Topic: Ride to Cailfornia  (Read 6015 times)

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Ride to Cailfornia
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
In the next couple weeks, I am planning to go to California to pick up a car. So far, it looks like I will be taking the bus, but if someone here is driving there anyway, I would be happy to divert that money to a more worthy recipient. And I would be glad to have better company than a busload of random strangers.

I think I have exhausted my other options. Airlines? Not a chance unless they dismantle TSA first. Train? No, AMTRAC avoids Wyoming completely. Car rental, one way? Doesn't look promising. Hitchhiking? Possible, but I would rather pay the bus and have assurance of getting there in a reasonable time.

So, is anyone going to California soon?
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Ride to Cailfornia
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »
Flying out of Gillette is the least invasive TSA experience you can have.  Rarely do they pat people down and they don't have a backscatter machine.

If it's on principle you avoid flying (and I don't disagree), then I hope you can find a ride.  I've done long bus trips and they are hateful.

Good luck,
Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
You could try zimride.

There won't be anyone going from WY to CA but you can usually find people going from NYC or Chicago to LA or San Fransisco. I've never actually used them but I think if you email a driver they will quote you a fee for pickup.

I just checked & someone is going from Denver to LA tomorrow and offering seats for $90.

If you keep an eye on it and if you're flexible you should be able to get a ride for an OK price.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline tpuig

• Social Type
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
Where in CA?  I've used ride sharing boards before.  (actual bulletin boards on a college campus)  A hate to say Craigs list, but that's an option.   I've also delivered rental cars to their home base after one way rentals.   (SF to Seattle for one tank of gas, pretty good deal)

Offline tpuig

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
It's a long way off, but I'll be in Aladdin in November and driving back to CA...

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Where in CA?
Anywhere in the Bay Area should be fine. Using BART and walking I can get to El Cerrito, where my brother is.

A hate to say Craigs list, but that's an option. 
I just noticed that, and I have it on my RSS feeds.

Thanks!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »
Here is a ride from Yellowstone on the 29th +/- to San Francisco for $85.

http://www.zimride.com/ride/share?ride=909750&searchPageID=1
Give them your teeth, not your belly.