Author Topic: Sheep and freight wagon 4 sale  (Read 6896 times)

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
Sheep and freight wagon 4 sale
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
bzrk has these items and will post info soon.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
Re: Sheep and freight wagon 4 sale
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »
What is the Price on the them?  I know some folks who may be very interested.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline bzrk

• FSW Associate
Re: Sheep and freight wagon 4 sale dimensions & prices
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
Here are the dimensions:
Sheep Wagon, needs new canvas & work inside, & new tongue
track 64", outside to outside of wheels
wheels front 2" x 45"
wheels rear 2" x 49"
Box at bottom 43" x 145"
Box at bottom of curve 82" x 145"
Height, ground to top of bows 9'3"

Freight Wagon, needs canvas, if desired
Box 37 x 127
track 37", outside to outside of wheels
Wheels front 3" x 36"
Wheels rear 3" x 45"
Height, ground to top of bows 8'2"

Both are horsedrawn, though Sheep Wagon had ball hitch attached to tongue.
They actually belong to my father-in-law and he is ASKING $12000 for Sheep Wagon and $6000 for the Freight Wagon.  I am pretty ignorant of wagon values, but willing to show them and give Scott's phone #, to interested parties.  Thanks for your interest.

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Thanks for the information, I will pass it on. Hopefully he will get his asking price, but it does seem a little ambitious.

Tex

=2

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
I thought so too. May be worth a look see!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
Thanks.  Horsedrawn would be cool if I had horses...  ;)

I was hoping for something less collectible.

Cool though.
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Sheepwagons have always been a big "Want" of mine. They are often said to be the original RV, although I don't think there was much that could be called recreational in their use back in the early days. It is believed that the first Sheepwagon was built in Douglas, Wy and I want to say it was on an old Studebaker frame and box.

You don't see them in use as much anymore, but I do know a woman (very recently passed) who lived in one for two years while she and her husband got their ranch started back in the late forties and fifties. The thought of living in onewhile starting a ranch and a family is not something most folks today would like to think about, much less actually do. There are still quite a few of the bigger ranches that use them, although we will rarely see them as we drive down the highways.

If I had $12,000 I could play with, I would seriously think about buying the one listed above, simply so I could take it aart and rebuild it. There is a very neat history with almost all Sheepwagons, but the old horsedrawn Sheepwagons are especialy neat. As some of them have been rebuilt, there have been small discoveries opening windows back in time that would tell about the day to day lives of the herders who called them home. Sometimes people have found an old grocery list that would tell of the simple needs of the men who lived in the middle of nowhere all alone and other times a person has found a stack of old letters the herder had saved from family found back home in the Basque country of Spain and France.

Occasionally, a person can find one for sale and the prices I've seen have been anywhere from a couple grand up to the $25,000 price tag I saw recently for one up in Buffalo. If a person had the money and wanted a piece of history that probably represents Wyoming better than anything else this side of Devil's Tower, buying and refurbishing a Sheepwagon is the way to go. It is becoming popular these days to buy one and refurbish it to use as a guest room for visiting friends and family who want a true Wyoming experience.

Bzrk, I hope your father in law is able to find it a good home as I would hate to see something like this just sit out in the pasture and fall apart, like I've seen so many others do. If you can get some pictures of it, I would be very interested in seeing them, for no other reason than I am a huge history buff and this type of history most especially.

There is a book simply titled, Sheepwagons, that I would encourage folks to pick up. I just went to look for one of my copies to see who it is by, but my collection is in disarray at the moment and I didn't see it right off. If I'm not mistaken, it is put out by High Plains Press out of Glando and it can usually be found in quite a few places around the state that sell books about Wyoming and Western History. If you come across a copy, buy it and check it out. It isn't a big book, but it does have alot of historical photos detailing the lives of sheepherders in early Wyoming.

Tex

=2

Offline bzrk

• FSW Associate
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
Tex,
I agree prices probably way too high- especially for working folks.  Come on down and take a look and I will get you his phone # if you are interested.  Both wagons are stored in a barn, and I have a couple of pics if you want me to post them.  By the way, I got him SheepWagons years ago.  You are right: a very interesting book.
If you are still interested in elk hunting down here, let me know and I will give you Clyde's phone #.
He is now working for welding shop in Wamsutter, so no telling what his work schedule will be, but he will be elk hunting, that I know.  I only go out for birds and antelope any more.  Legs cannot hack "real" hunting.
You have my number, so give me a call.  I'll be up in Sheridan this weekend for an Appleseed shoot/event, but will be back Monday.
take care
berk