Author Topic: Wyoming Tour  (Read 10788 times)

Offline Rich-in-MD

• Casual Observer
    • Chex Quest Fan Forums
Wyoming Tour
« on: April 09, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
Greetings,

Let me preface this post by saying how delighted I am to find that this project is still active.  I had been following this project for years, but kind of fell away from any desire to leave Maryland after I began to become more entrenched in this state.  Now that some time has past, I feel as though my interest has been re-kindled.  I'm not as sure as I once was that Wyoming is the right place for me, but I definitely want to find out.  I'm getting tired of being so physically close to the masses.  I thought it was bad here in Baltimore until I visited Boston a couple of weeks ago.  The population density was absolutely overwhelming to me, in a bad way.  Anyway, here is the point of my post...

I have quite a bit of vacation time saved up, and was thinking of taking two weeks just to explore the state of Wyoming.  What I'm really interested in is avoiding the touristy areas (although, I do want to hit up Yellowstone in maybe another trip), and exploring some of the small towns.  My first question is, has anybody here done that before?  I'm worried that I might get bored.  Is there plenty to see and do in these small towns which would compliment exploration?  I'm willing to travel long distances and go through multiple towns in one day.  I'm also willing to take more time (like multiple days) in some of the larger towns, such as Casper, Cheyenne, etc.

I would, of course, be trying to get a taste of the place to determine whether it is where I want to steer my life.  Am I setting myself up for boredom, or is this really a good idea?  If so, can you suggest a starting point?  I'm kind of overwhelmed.  I think I prefer southern and eastern Wyoming over northern and western, but then again, I'm basing that off of what I've read.

Thanks,
Richard

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Wyoming Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
I have quite a bit of vacation time saved up, and was thinking of taking two weeks just to explore the state of Wyoming.  What I'm really interested in is avoiding the touristy areas (although, I do want to hit up Yellowstone in maybe another trip), and exploring some of the small towns.  My first question is, has anybody here done that before?
My first visit took us first to Evanston for our first night in Wyoming. It seemed like a perfectly ordinary city, unremarkable. We then stopped in Green River, saw some sights, but did not spend the time to see the Flaming River, which is supposed to be quite the sight. From there to Rawlins was boring desert. We were not interested in Laramie or Cheyenne, so we turned north to Casper. Over the next few days, we stopped in Douglas, Lusk (small town and WINDY), Newcastle, Sundance, Moorcroft, Hulett, Gillette, Buffalo, and then Yellowstone. It was a great trip, and we eventually decided on Hulett.

I suggest stopping at the real estate offices in the towns and have a chat with the people there. They know their towns and areas very well and can be a fun visit even if you are just playing tourist. You can tell them you are just playing with the idea.

I would, of course, be trying to get a taste of the place to determine whether it is where I want to steer my life.  Am I setting myself up for boredom, or is this really a good idea?  If so, can you suggest a starting point?
I think it is a fine idea. In general, everything I have seen in the southern half of Wyoming is desolate wasteland (except around Yellowstone). It makes Nevada seem interesting. The south-west is next to Utah and is heavily Mormon. The north-west is beautiful, but probably not affordable because of all the rich people and the park land. The northern third of Wyoming is great scenery.

Towns I would recommend for a visit would include Green River, Newcastle, Upton, Sundance, Moorcroft, Hulett, Pine Haven, Buffalo, Ten Sleep (very small but scenic), Thermopolis, and Cody. There are quite a few places I have not visited and maybe others can suggest them, like Sheridan, Pinedale, Riverton, and Wheatland for example. Again, real estate agents might be able to point out the interesting things to see and do.

Good luck!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Rich-in-MD

• Casual Observer
    • Chex Quest Fan Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Thank you rhodges! A lot of great info to go on.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
I forgot to mention, when you arrive in Wyoming, get a free map. Most any of the visitors' or tourists' centers, "ports of entry", hotel lobbies, and BLM offices should have plenty of them to hand out. Or if you have a color printer, you can download and print your own:
http://www.travelwyoming.com/sites/default/master/files/uploads/Wyoming%20map%20side_v2.pdf
A guy can never have too many maps! :)
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
You should also at least stop in Saratoga, quiet town of 1700 including the surrounding county. If you make Cheyenne drop me a line. Its all about what your expectations are.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline Mark Davis

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
Wyoming has quite a few nice towns. Though I have not been a Wyoming resident for 40 years I live just 60 miles from the state line in Montana. I drive across Wyoming often.
Many people around here feel some area are to expensive, you coming from Maryland might not have that impression.
My list of towns to see. Dubios, Powell, Cody, Sheridan, Buffalo, Tensleep, Sundance, Upton, Newcastle,
Hullet, Pinehaven, Gurnsey, Thermopolis, This does not include every nice town in the state, but ones that Look good to me.
If close access to good medical care is a top priority. Park your self near Denver Co, Casper,  Rapid City SD, Salt lake City Utah, or Billings MT.
The northeast corner of the state is the lowest altitude of the entire state, slightly longer growing season, but no promise of better weather.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:17:09 AM by Mark Davis »
to lazy to chase arrows

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 04:29:59 AM »
If you are easily bored, and want city attractions and amenities, you may not care for NE Wyoming. Outside of whatever is in Gillette, we don't have shopping centers, movie theaters (with the latest release), concerts, fancy night life places or much else city people seem to want. We have lots of open spaces, clean air and water, friendly folks in our small town stores. We have quiet neighborhoods and ranches with good people who will help if asked, but mostly mind their own business. We don't have much real "crime" and out sheriff (In Weston county) is an honest man who keeps a low profile, but gets the job done. The "police" in various towns are another story, but probably head and shoulders above whatever you are used to.

Welcome to Wyoming! Let me know if you come through Newcastle. I'd be glad to talk with you and introduce you to some of the good people here, including my favorite real estate lady. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Rich-in-MD

• Casual Observer
    • Chex Quest Fan Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
If you are easily bored, and want city attractions and amenities, you may not care for NE Wyoming. Outside of whatever is in Gillette, we don't have shopping centers, movie theaters (with the latest release), concerts, fancy night life places or much else city people seem to want. We have lots of open spaces, clean air and water, friendly folks in our small town stores. We have quiet neighborhoods and ranches with good people who will help if asked, but mostly mind their own business. We don't have much real "crime" and out sheriff (In Weston county) is an honest man who keeps a low profile, but gets the job done. The "police" in various towns are another story, but probably head and shoulders above whatever you are used to.

Welcome to Wyoming! Let me know if you come through Newcastle. I'd be glad to talk with you and introduce you to some of the good people here, including my favorite real estate lady. :)

Thank you for your insight and kind words!  I will definitely let you know if I come through.

Offline Rich-in-MD

• Casual Observer
    • Chex Quest Fan Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
colonial shooter: If I do go through with this trip, I will most definitely be stopping by Cheyenne. I will certainly let you know.

Wyoming has quite a few nice towns. Though I have not been a Wyoming resident for 40 years I live just 60 miles from the state line in Montana. I drive across Wyoming often.
Many people around here feel some area are to expensive, you coming from Maryland might not have that impression.
My list of towns to see. Dubios, Powell, Cody, Sheridan, Buffalo, Tensleep, Sundance, Upton, Newcastle,
Hullet, Pinehaven, Gurnsey, Thermopolis, This does not include every nice town in the state, but ones that Look good to me.
If close access to good medical care is a top priority. Park your self near Denver Co, Casper,  Rapid City SD, Salt lake City Utah, or Billings MT.
The northeast corner of the state is the lowest altitude of the entire state, slightly longer growing season, but no promise of better weather.

Some great suggestions!  Thanks, will definitely research those towns!

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
Greetings Rich,
It would be helpful if you provided what you intend to do here.  What is your craft or profession?  Do you want a rural or urban life? 
I live an hour out of Casper and could meetup if i had some notice.  Work schedule is ever changing for me and more notice would be better.

pW

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 07:25:22 PM »
Rich, this sounds like a fun trip, and do keep us posted.
Perhaps our paths may intersect!

Boston

Offline Freedog

• Social Type
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »
When I lived on the east coast and first had thoughts of moving out west, I drove to and around Wyoming. I visited Cheyenne, Casper, Thermopolis, Worland, Ten Sleep, Buffalo, Cody and Sheridan. I really liked Buffalo, where I met some nice people. Ten Sleep was an interesting little town, and the drive from there to Buffalo was beautiful. The Big Horn mountains provide a nice ride.

On my second trip I visited Newcastle, Sundance, and Hulett. I liked the scenery in the NE.

I have since relocated to Wyoming and have spent a lot of time in the southern part of the state, which is not much to look at, except Flaming Gorge, which is breathtaking. Evanston is not worth the time. Green River is a bedroom community with only a few restaurants, but has some nice outdoor areas in and around town. There is not much between Rock Springs and Laramie, and be sure to hold your car door when you open it in Laramie so it does not blow off the hinges.

I prefer the scenery in the NE part of the state and in the Jackson area. Jackson has a lot of nice restaurants, local art shops and some great outdoor scenery, but it is very expensive. Still, the mountains and parks are gorgeous and worth seeing. The Tetons are awesome.
Live and let live!

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
I've made two trips so far.

The first to Sundance, , Gillette and Newcastle. All nice.

The second to the Green River Intergalactic Space Port  ::), Laramie, Cheyenne, Torrington, Lusk, Douglas and Casper (I REALLY liked Five Guys, but I like fatty foods.)

I've got at least 4 years on my golden handcuffs before I need to make a decision.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Rich-in-MD

• Casual Observer
    • Chex Quest Fan Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your kind words and advice!