Author Topic: Allow Me To Introduce Myself...  (Read 3013 times)

Offline henshawe

Allow Me To Introduce Myself...
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:41:10 AM »
G'Day All,

Just a short note to introduce myself, I am a man of little wealth but a certain amount of fame. I am an "official outlaw/bad guy" as determined by the JBT's at TSA, why I have no clue, must be my rebellious attitude, EH?

Name's Americus Fernando Henshawe MA. MA Div. PhD. I've been lurking here for awhile and I must say I like what I'm reading. I'm seriously considering setting up in FSW this year, the Gods willing and the creek don't rise. I'm planning to attend the Jamboree in May this year and look forward to meeting some of you folks.

My only hesitation for the move is the cold winters, I don't do well in reeal cold weather any more due to some BS health problems, so maybe y'all could reassure me that the cold Wyoming winters and the on going "Wind Festival" are not so bad after all. :-\

Regards,

Americus

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Allow Me To Introduce Myself...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:20:41 PM »
My only hesitation for the move is the cold winters, I don't do well in reeal cold weather any more due to some BS health problems, so maybe y'all could reassure me that the cold Wyoming winters and the on going "Wind Festival" are not so bad after all. :-\
The way I look at Wyoming is by splitting it into a Southern Half and a Northern Half. 

With a couple exceptions, I consider the Southern Half pretty much desolate wasteland.  It reminds me strongly of Nevada, most of which is also desolate wasteland.  And having lived 16 years in Nevada, I have gone through a couple years of seeing the "beauty" of the desert, through more years of just ignoring it, and finally reaching the point where I hated it.  Anyway, it can get very windy in the Southern half, and I have heard tales of people committing suicide (mainly Rawlins I believe) because of the relentless wind.  In Winter, the wind can also be a problem when it snows.  Here are some informative wind maps:
http://www.windpowermaps.org/windmaps/WYwindpower50_big.htm
http://www.eere.energy.gov/windandhydro/windpoweringamerica/images/windmaps/wy_50m_800.jpg

The Northern Half of Wyoming is, in my opinion, the fairer half by far.  Yellowstone is incomparable.  If you have been there, you know what I mean, and if you have not, well there is no way I can tell you in words.  The Bighorn Mountains are great and well worth visiting.  Then on the Eastern side is Crook County.  Aside from Yellowstone and the Bighorns, I consider Crook County (North of Highway 90) the nicest part of Wyoming.

Now as far as wind and snow go, Crook County is pretty mild compared with the rest of the state.  Here in Hulett, the wind is never very strong, and at my place in the trees, it is almost always calm or just a pleasant breeze rustling though the trees.  Some days there might be enough to fly a kite, but usually not.  For snow, we get our fair share.  We just got about a half inch last night, in fact.  Just guessing, we probably had maybe between one and two dozen decent snows, usually a few inches at a time.  The biggest snow, in October I think, left maybe a foot of snow.  Crook County is probably the lowest part of the state, about 3800 feet at my place, and the hills probably help keep the weather milder than most places.

The temperature does get pretty low at times, but it is very seldom the biting, bone chilling cold like in Chicago and back East.  Anything over 30 degrees is pretty much short-sleeved shirt weather, especially when it is sunny.  Down to zero, a sweatshirt is usually fine for me.  A small number of times last winter, it went down to -10 to -20 for a few days at a time, and then it was time to put on the winter coat, long johns, and warm boots! :-)  Even then, then only real problem I had was getting my diesel Bobcat started and the hydraulics flowing.

This is all just my opinion, speaking only for myself, but I hope it helps!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »
I was just poking around the forum and noticed this post - and that nobody but dear Richard even answered you! I'm sorry you were neglected that way!

I moved from the Southern California desert to Lead, South Dakota in October of '05. I had to rent a place there because I couldn't find anything to rent in Wyoming, and wouldn't buy something sight unseen. I moved here all alone and just figured I'd deal with whatever came my way -- with the help of all my wonderful friends in FSW, it's been possible!

It was a MOST interesting winter! The dear friend who found the apartment for me in Lead neglected to mention that it was on top of a mountain, with all the streets being very steep hills! On top of that, it snowed a lot and got very cold a few times - down to minus 20 at least once. What an introduction to a cold climate - and the house was not well insulated either.

Anyway, that's not to complain, but to show that even really adverse conditions like that can be survived just fine. I was really surprised and pleased to find that this old lady (60) was able to adapt and go right on living, even though I didn't know how to drive on ice and snow. I learned fast! I also fell on the ice the first month and broke my leg... and learned to adapt and survive that as well.

I'm now getting settled in a beautiful log home in Newcastle, WY. We've had two good snowstorms since I moved in a month ago, (April 1, '06) and they were quite different. The first was a real blizzard, with strong winds that blew most of the snow away fast. The second didn't have any wind, so we got a fair accumulation of snow. The biggest problem was that - this late in the year - there was also rain among the snow, so ice formed on the ground and on porch steps, so it was more difficult to clear a path to the car. But ultimately it was doable, even for me.

Newcastle has the advantage of being near the Black Hills, yet not at a high elevation. It's near the plains, but not surrounded by sheer desolation. I think we have the best of both worlds. I'm very happy here, and intend to stay here for the rest of my life... God willing, and the creeks don't rise (too much)!!

Welcome! Please feel free to contact me by email or PM and talk any time. I love to talk about Wyoming and FSW.  MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »
I would agree that Rawlins is probably the harshest area in the state, and much of the southern part of the state is rough, but the two corners (Evanston in the southwest and Cheyenne in the southeast) aren't so bad. Cheyenne is more prairie than desert, and Evanston has a lot of moutnains around to cut the wind.

From a political standpoint, Evanston is very Mormon, with the advantages and drawbacks that brings. Cheyenne gets a lot of bad press in the rest of the rest of the state, being the state capitol, but as Paul has pointed out, the legislators elected here are no more anti-freedom than those from the rest of the state, on average.

Weather-wise, there's no getting around the fact that Wyoming is a lot colder in the winter than most states in more southerly lattitudes. It's mostly a function of altitude -- the area around Jackson gets the coldest, Crook County and the areas around Riverton and Thermopolis tend to be the mildest.

I moved up to Cheyenne with my family from Southern California about a year ago, and one thing we've noticed after going through a winter is how we've adjusted to the cooler weather. Sixty degrees F used to feel chilly to us, now it's balmy. We got about a half dozen snowstorms of significance this winter, in most cases the snow had melted off the city streets by the second day after. The worst storm dropped about nine inches on us and there was snow-slush around for about a week.

I would recommend getting a 4-wheel drive vehicle, although a front-wheel drive is good enough in most cases if you're careful. Quite a lot of people around here have rear-wheel-drive autos, though. I think most of them learned to drive before FWDs were widely available.
-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:07:53 AM »
Americus, Welcome, sorry it has taken so long to get back to your post.
There are several pockets in wyoming that seem to be warmer than others, as said above, it always seemed to me that the area around Lander, Thermop. was warmer. There are areas where the winters can get down to 40 below and the wind chill makes it even colder. So you just have to look at the warmer areas. Stay out of the wind, dress in layers. On bad days stay inside. It is interesting as noted above, that our bodies acclimate . You could always take on the RV lifestyle? depending on your life situation. I know there are many who live in wyoming for 6 to 8 months and then move south. You wouldn't even have to go that far south as it warms up some in colorado. Hope you can make it to the Jam so we can talk more and you can take a look around.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 06:01:57 PM »
Don't forget the weather atlas.
Laws turn men into slaves.