Author Topic: One Very Intrigued Arizonan  (Read 5366 times)

Offline azcoyote

• Casual Observer
One Very Intrigued Arizonan
« on: April 13, 2006, 09:46:28 PM »
Howdy FSW,

I am about 100 pages from the end of Molon Labe and have been browsing around your site and forum. I have to admit I'm getting a serious itch to move north.

I've been a Libertarian all my life, raised on Heinlein and discovering Rand in college, but it has been in the last couple of years that I've expnaded my horizons by reading Claire, Vin, El Neil and, most recently, Boston. Tucson is getting too big and I've always had " a dream about buying some land, gonna give up the booze and the one-night-stands", to quote Gerry Rafferty. So I amd very intrigued by this whole project.

A little about me. I am a single 51yo woman and a slave to 2 cats. I have a B.A. in History which is why I am now working as a security guard, albeit a well paid one as I work for a major government contractor. In the past I've worked in archaeology, probation (bletch), USN communications, and radio and TV. I've always been into emergency preparedness/self-sufficiency and have a pretty good library, but don't really practice what I preach too much besides composting and water conservation (graywater). Gardening in the desert can be a real chore in a drought. I am a complusive reader and do a little writing from time to time.

I own a .357 Winchester lever-action, a Yugo SKS, a Kel-Tec .223, a 20 ga coachgun, and 2 revolvers--.357 and .38 snubby which I carry. My most recent purchase is a .303 Lee Enfield which I have yet to try out. I also have a lightweight target bow. I've never hunted but feel I should learn in order to get over the Bambi syndrome and to eat well.

I suppose it wouldn't be all that difficult for me to sell the house, buy an RV, pack up the cats, guns, and books (in that order) and head out. Such a major life change requires a lot of thought, though, so give me some time.

I have always wanted to own a bookstore in a small town but that comes down to having enough customers to survive. I have started selling some of mine on Amazon and Half.com, so there is the Internet as well. A guy here in Tucson has done very well in the used book trade and now has about 6 stores statewide. What do y'all think? could a town like Gillette support me as a bookseller? With a large selection of liberty-themed books, of course.

Also, have the health-Nazis instituted smoking bans up there yet?

Boston, from a literary standpoint I could have some issues with Molon Labe, however, I find it fills me with excitement and hope. It also nicely condenses some history and ibertarian arguments very well. May I send a copy of Preston's 2nd Playboy interview to my school teacher brother-in-law? Properly attributed, of course.

Thanks and hope to chat with y'all some more,
Coyote
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:56:22 PM by FSW Forum Administrator »

Offline Space Cowboy

• Social Type
Re: One Very Intrigued Arizonan
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:16:44 AM »
Welcome azcoyote!

Do a search on books or bookstores and you should come up with some relevant posts.

I know a bookstore would do really well in this area. There is currently only one bookstore in Gillette (Hastings). I believe there is enough of a customer base and little competition to make it viable. I don't know how long that " little competition" will last though. I know several people on the way that are really interested in starting one......

I was pretty much in the same situation you are in. Moving to Wyoming is the best thing I've done in a long time. I pretty much came here with my guns, cats and books and not much else. I now have ten acres out by a lake, own my own Mobile home and will hopefully move it out to the property soon. Try coming to the Jam this year, you'll meet some great people and see for yourself, why this is such a great place to live.
You shall judge a man by his foes as well as his friends
~J. Conrad

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 10:50:42 AM »
Howdy Coyote, Welcome and take your time. It is a big decision and there are many here ready to help and answer questions. I am one who has thought of starting a bookstore. Probobly a used book store, but feel free to beat me to it ! I will be a very happy customer. Also a gardener who composts will be welcome anytime because your veggies will be the best!  Come to the JAM and take a look around. Have you ever been to Wyoming?    Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:37:56 AM »
Here's one thread where we were discussing bookstores and libraries. Wyoming is a big place, there's room for more than one more bookstore.  :)  Definitely look at selling new and used. Portland is famous for its largest-in-the-world bookstore, Powells Books (sells new and used). I've spent many a happy hour there.

Also, have the health-Nazis instituted smoking bans up there yet?

I've been watching the legislature since 2003. No smoking bans have come up at that level yet; I assume potential backers know it would get nowhere. The city council did manage to pass a ban in Laramie (the most liberal place in the state - the University is there). However it was heavily contested and almost subsequently overturned (and who knows, still may be vulnerable depending on the composition of the city council). Because they are not having much luck politically, the anti-smokers are concentrating on convincing individual restaurants to go non-smoking - which of course is the way it should be done, so everyone has a choice and property rights are respected. However, the legislature did recently pass a heavy tax on tobacco products, so there are still problems.

Montana just passed a state-wide smoking ban, sadly.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 10:39:42 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline azcoyote

• Casual Observer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:08:14 AM »
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Sorry I haven't replied earlier but had to work this weekend and 12.5 hr shifts don't leave me much energy for chatting. Night security does, though, leave lots of time for reading and cogitating so not all bad. Just finished up Molon Labeand dang, it could work!

I have been through Wyoming a couple of times before. First was on my way to SF and saw a herd of antelope off I-80. thought that was pretty cool as I still was a midwesterner. In '96, I took a vacation up to SW Montana--did a little gold prospecting near Virginia City--and checked out Yellowstone. It was, of course, impressive but when I saw the Tetons--oh, man! Had to go 20 miles out of Jackson to find a vacant campsite though. I stopped for lunch in Pinedale and visited the mountain man museum there--one of the best little museums I have seen. Pinedale seemed like a neat little town to live in. Yes, I realize it's getting yuppified and land prices probably reflect that.

BTW, a co-worker of mine has a snowbird neighbor from Pinedale. He retired from a resort there. He says the town kinda shuts down in winter but that a bookstore could do well there. Also, the ratio of men to women is 9:1. Hmmmmm, worth considering too.

AS for the bookstore idea--of course, libertarians read, but it would also have to cater to the locals as well--magazines, newspapers, and maybe convenience items. Plus, local history, geography, natural history, etc for the tourists. If the tourist trade is good enough during the summer, I suppose I could spend the winters here in Arizona. Mom would appreciate that, lol. I do sell some books at Half.com but must admit my merchandising education mainly comes from the Ferenghi Rules of Acquisition.

My first thought about the Jamboree was--I'm supposed to work that weekend and I can't afford it. When I told my sister about this whole subject, she said, "Well, why don't you go?" Got me thinking of how I COULD instead of why I could NOT. Checked out flights and car rentals a bit. Staying in a motel would probably run me $800-1000 for the trip. I suppose I could bring some of my camping equipment with me- sleeping bag, backpack stove and cooking gear--and could buy a disposable cooler and food in Casper. Is there any way I could borrow a small tent or maybe rent one in Casper? I MIGHT be able to  swap out a couple of my work shifts with folks on the other shift so I don't have to use up so much of my vacation time. If I can keep my costs in the $600-800 range, I might be able to swing it, if I can convince myself that this is an investment in my possible future instead of just a cool vacation in Wyoming. Or maybe both, lol.

The last time I really took a chance was when I moved to Tucson after getting out of the Navy in 1991 and not knowing a soul  here. Oh, and leaving the probation department (in 2000) at $16+ an hour for an archaeology job at $8/hr because I knew I would be happier--no regrets there. I'm in a rut now and another shake up of my life is due. Plus, it's time I put my money where my mouth is before I get fossilized.

Thanks,
Coyote
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:47:16 AM by FSW Forum Administrator »

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:30:13 AM »
Coyote, I was going to throw in an extra tent just in case someone needed it, so your welcome to it. I am sure there will be lots of folks who will share other camp stuff to , cooking, drinks. Etc. There are people coming in from all directions and you may be able to coordinate some rides if renting a car would save you some money. Just let people know when and where you are planning on being and ask for help. As a matter of fact you have just given me an idea to start a thread for just this sort of thing. Take some time off and have an adventure! Tell your sister you will go if she goes with you. I'll bet she could use some time off too?  :D 
I have 10 acres in the Windriver mountains ,outside of Pinedale. The windrivers are much better than the Tetons. And the Bighorns,over where the Jam is , are really nice too. Pinedale is growing all the time. There is one "subdivision" north of town that is still relitively cheap to buy into and there are thousands of tourists who travel through there each summer. There are lots of other small towns in Wyoming just like this and I have always thought a book store/sandwich/icecream/coffee ect shop would be great.
This would be a good time to check it out !

Miles
Oh and PS, yes you will find that good male to female ratio all over Wyo. ;)
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Hunter

Tucson to Worland
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:18:40 AM »
According to MSN maps, it's 1126.1 mi via Phoenix & SLC.
Coming through Casper would be several 100 mi out of the way.

BTW, Welcome!

Hunter

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 12:24:50 PM »
Coyote, welcome here.  Your Gillette bookstore idea is a very good one,
and at least one local agrees.

I have literary issues with my own novel, but the book will suffice as is.
You're welcome to copy the Preston interview as described.

You seem bright and motivated, so I expect we'll all get to meet you
at the Jam since you'll find a way of making it happen!

Boston

Offline azcoyote

• Casual Observer
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 04:48:38 PM »
Ok, guys, I've decided to come up for the jam. I was able to swap out 2 of my 3 shifts for that weekend so that cuts down on using my limited vacation time.

I can get a flight to Casper for about $286 r/t. Will get in there late Thu nite, and plan to head up to Worland the next day in a rental. Flight back is on Tue so can sightsee a bit on the way back down.

Will have to check on FAA regs for firearms. Mostly I'm concerned with it getting "lost" when I change planes in Denver. If I bring the SKS, it won't be a huge loss it it goes missing. Maybe just a revolver in the check-in bag. Will look into it.

Miles, thanks for your offer of camping gear. I will see what I can stuff into my pack and let you know in time. Tent is the main thing, I think. I can certainly help out buying food and with camp chores. I guess warm clothes for this desert rat. Any guesses to the nighttime lows?

Boston, thanks for the kind words and I'll get those FRN's out this week.

Looking forward to meeting y'all.
Coyote

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:39:12 AM »
If you bring guns on the flight you should also make sure you check with the airline you're flying with. Different companies have different rules. Some won't allow guns even on checked baggage.
-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
My most recent purchase is a .303 Lee Enfield which I have yet to try out. 

A couple of thoughts about your Enfield. I suppose you know that in effect all Enfields are *takedown models* in that by removing the buttstock retaining screw the butt can be removed, reducing the rifle's overall length to around 33 inches without any particular concerns about disturbing the action bedding or sight or scope zero. This can be a considerable convenience for travellers at times.

If you've never removed your rifle's buttstock screw or if it hasn't been moved in 10 or 15 years it can be a little tricky and more than a little stiff, and the procedure varies slightly with different models: Number I Mk III SMLE, Number Four, or Number 5 *Jungle Carbine*.

If you don't bring yours along, no worries: I plan on bring my kid's SMLE [in part because that *takedown* buttstock is handy when traveling some 1500 miles by motorbike, depending on route] and you can give it a try.

If you have a distinct preference for your SKS or leverguns, not a problem. But the Lee-Enfield is a superb tool very capable of doing it's work at a half-mile or beyond, and it can serve you well, whether in Wyoming or Arizona.

As for your cats: I too know the joys of life as a doorman to catcritters. But if/when you do come to Wyoming, particularly if it's a rural corner of the northeastern part of the state, they need a working knowledge of ol' Jake no-shoulders, AKA the Western Diamondback. Older cats tend to be a little too inquisitive, with too-often fatal results; kittins pick it up pretty quick. If yours are used to rattleworms from Arizona, or you have a middlin-largish coity or town picked as a likely destination, then NeverMind. If not, your coach gun with birdshot and a hoe should likely be close-at-hand tools.

See you in Wyoming!
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 12:00:43 PM »
Azcoyote, I'm bringing lots of extra camping stuff including a tent or two, some Army arctic sleeping bags and lots of cut and split firewood. I'll be driving a white F-150 with 5 county plates. Just listen for the reggae music. Please do introduce yourself. Until such time. b

Offline azcoyote

• Casual Observer
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 12:51:38 PM »
archy.

Thanks for the info on the Enfield. I was checking it out last night and find that it doesn't fit me as well as the SKS--my cheekweld is more of a chinweld, lol. After reading about it in BGB, thinking of getting it cut down and/or going to a new stock. Maybe the Monte Carlo? I need to check around for a good gunsmith and don't think I'll be able to afford to get this done before the Jam.

I'm looking at a 2 gun case on ebay I might buy. Should be able to fit the SKS, Kel-tec SU-16 and revolver in it. Need to call United tho and make sure they are ok with this. And weight limits.

biathlon,

miles has also offered me a tent but a sleeping bag sure would be a help to save room and weight. I've been checking Wyoming temps in the local paper. Man, still down around freezing at night. Guess the long johns are in order.

Thanks all, getting eager to be up there!

Coyote

Offline NorthGunner

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »
Hi Coyote,

Renee and I (Steve Kristmann) are looking forward to attending this years Jam as well so we'll look forward to meeting you. We're currently living in Arizona and planning to drive up.  Hope the airlines don't give you a hassle (I've flown to Knob Creek for a couple of shows and never had a problem). We can't wait for the the Jam!

Yours In Liberty!
NorthGunner
(Currently in Arizona)
"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Remember: "Evil exists because good men don't kill the gov. officials committing it"
Kurt Hofmann

Offline archy

• FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 01:18:07 PM »
archy.

Thanks for the info on the Enfield. I was checking it out last night and find that it doesn't fit me as well as the SKS--my cheekweld is more of a chinweld, lol. After reading about it in BGB, thinking of getting it cut down and/or going to a new stock. Maybe the Monte Carlo? I need to check around for a good gunsmith and don't think I'll be able to afford to get this done before the Jam.Coyote

Or maybe not! This is a pretty close copy of the raised wooden cheekpiece used on the British #4 Mark 1 [T] and L42A1 sniper's rifles, which since fitted with telescopic sights, had similar problems for the user as you're describing.

The ATI version is made of black Type 66 Zytel [Nylon] which might look a little strange on a wooden stock, but could be adjected to fit you perfectly, then used by a good stockmaker or armorer as a pattern for a wooden copy or a one-piece buttstock. But see what you think- and for $10, it might be a right-priced problem solver. http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=32

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.