Author Topic: Start yer own newspaper!  (Read 33322 times)

Offline Don Wills

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Start yer own newspaper!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
It's easy to be critical of somebody else when you don't have it all on the line.  Nick quit his good paying job so he could devote full time to making his weekly newspaper a commercial success.  He needs it to succeed so he can feed his family and pay his mortgage.  It's amazing how the real potential for losing it all sharpens one's senses to act in a manner that will maximize one's chance of success.

If you want a hard-core libertarian newspaper that covers the state - go start one!

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
It's easy to be critical of somebody else when you don't have it all on the line.
  Absolutely, very easy for both of us to comment, pro or con, about something someone else is doing.  I am aware of Nick's story and situation.  I like Nick.  I wish him all the best.  I'm just being honest about his paper's editorial policy.  Better to be honest than to just say "this is an awesome, perfect, pro-liberty paper!!!!" and then the other users of this forum believe this and act on it and then they find out I was lying.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
An even better new paper!
Liberty's Torch
http://www.libertystorch.us/index.asp
Website is a bit lame, but he's working on it!

Send comments or articles to:
Brad Harrington
editor@libertystorch.us
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »
An even better new paper!
Liberty's Torch
http://www.libertystorch.us/index.asp

I strongly disagree.  The Campbell County Observer is a full service weekly newspaper that costs $1.  It covers all of the local stories, has a complete police blotter, fire incident log, covers ALL the kids sports, and has two pages of comics, crosswords, etc.  In addition, it has a one or two page Public Pulse section with Glenn Woods writing a weekly opinion piece and several other lively columns and letters to the editor.  A really nice touch is the back page which has one or two in depth articles about the history of Campbell County and Wyoming.  It is an excellent newspaper!

Liberty's Torch - biweekly, free and nothing but hard core libertarian opinion.  I'm not sure why anyone reads more than one issue because it's basically the same every issue.

I know both Nick and Brad.  I wish both of them success.  But the comparison between the two papers couldn't be more stark.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
Gosh Don, you must work AWFULLY hard keeping your blanket so wet.

The Campbell paper is ALL about Campbell and is meaningless to anyone else. I subscribed for the first year and quit reading it after the first few issues. Had nothing to do with my life.

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »
Gosh Don, you must work AWFULLY hard keeping your blanket so wet.

The Campbell paper is ALL about Campbell and is meaningless to anyone else. I subscribed for the first year and quit reading it after the first few issues. Had nothing to do with my life.

That doesn't make the newspaper inferior to Liberty's Torch, which is what you said.  The Campbell County Observer is a fine newspaper, as is the Des Moines Register.  The fact that they don't cover a locale in which you are interested in doesn't make them inferior - it just makes them irrelevant to you.

Liberty's Torch is actually more similar to a blog or a web site than it is to a newspaper - it is mostly just editorials.  Except for the fact that it is printed on newsprint, it doesn't really resemble what I consider to be a "newspaper".

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 07:46:56 AM »
Didn't use the words "inferior" or "superior." I said better. Those are all subjective words. If the Gillette paper seems better to you, that's wonderful! I happen to like Liberty's Torch better, for lots of reasons. If you don't, more power to you as well. I suspect we can all make up our own minds.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
That doesn't make the newspaper inferior to Liberty's Torch, which is what you said.  The Campbell County Observer is a fine newspaper, as is the Des Moines Register. 
There's no reason to insult the Liberty's Torch by associating it with the Des Moines Registar.

Unless you think the Liberty's Torch is also a left wing rag pushing a one world government agenda every day like the Registar?  :)
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Brad Harrington

• FSW Associate
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »
Liberty's Torch is actually more similar to a blog or a web site than it is to a newspaper - it is mostly just editorials.  Except for the fact that it is printed on newsprint, it doesn't really resemble what I consider to be a "newspaper".

Hey Don:

Remind me to slap you next time I see you. LOL... ;D

Yeah, we were light on news for the first few issues... But, as we grew, that changed. By the time Barbie and I were pumping 20+ pages I think we more resembled what you might have called a "newspaper." <huge grin>

Shucks, I even interviewed YOU for Issue 14. BUT, your comment date was prior to that, so... I forgive you. <huger grin>

Brad

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »
I saw this link on survivalblog. It sticks in my mind it is a project started by Rawles' son. It is a way to get free press credentials for anyone who wants them, in order to have a truly free press.

http://cfapa.org/
"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
I saw this link on survivalblog. It sticks in my mind it is a project started by Rawles' son. It is a way to get free press credentials for anyone who wants them, in order to have a truly free press.

http://cfapa.org/

Good idea, thanks.
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.