Author Topic: Pet Ferrets Are Okay! Yes!!  (Read 2965 times)

Offline NorthGunner

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Pet Ferrets Are Okay! Yes!!
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:52:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with John at WG&F about pet ferrets. Yes, they are allowed in Wyoming!! Libertymom's daughter Tori will be jumping for joy!! We'll most likely get a pair (male and female) after we move there. Just another reason to love Wyoming!!

Yours in (furry slinky) Liberty
NorthGunner
(Currently in Arizona)
"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Remember: "Evil exists because good men don't kill the gov. officials committing it"
Kurt Hofmann

Offline ricwoz

• Mover and Shaker
Re: Pet Ferrets Are Okay! Yes!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:36:07 AM »
Ferrets?  You me weasels?   To me they are a really scary and horrible animal.  I don't like rats, mice, gerbels or most any other rodent as a pet -- but weasels are just so far over the line.  Ugh.  Can you ever really trust one of those?   Somewhere on the web I saw a thing about some people who had pet racoons.  Like three or four, in their house (which had been extensivey retrofitted for racoon friendliness)

I'm not sure why I felt I needed to share this.    I'm sure other people have better understanding of animals than I do and can forge a good bond with animals that I only look at as varmints -- so good on yah!   But the idea just gives me shrudders.

Offline Lady Liberty

• Administrative Staff
  • "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty."
    • Lady Liberty's Constitution Clearing House
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:53:47 PM »
Ferrets?  You me weasels?   To me they are a really scary and horrible animal.  I don't like rats, mice, gerbels or most any other rodent as a pet -- but weasels are just so far over the line.  Ugh.  Can you ever really trust one of those?

Ferrets, as it turns out, are appallingly smart. Can you ever really trust them? No, not really. But then you can't ever really trust the average two year-old, either. Either way, they do make good pets if you're willing to spend the time to give them the attention they require. And like a bird, they require a LOT.

Somewhere on the web I saw a thing about some people who had pet racoons.  Like three or four, in their house (which had been extensivey retrofitted for racoon friendliness)

I've read from more than one source that raccoons make adorable pets, and then they grow up. When that happens, a goodly number of them get mean. I'm personally disinclined to face anything that size  and MEAN. Hell, I got my hands torn to shreds last week by an itty bitty wild kitten I was intent on rescuing!

I'm not sure why I felt I needed to share this.    I'm sure other people have better understanding of animals than I do and can forge a good bond with animals that I only look at as varmints -- so good on yah!   But the idea just gives me shrudders.

I've always wanted pet ferrets myself. My cats are encouraging me to get a couple. Interactive cat toys, you know.  >:D

LL
"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." Patrick Henry

jleonard

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
Had to get my first tetanus shot in 30 years a couple of months ago.  Tried to "rescue" a terrified stray kitten and the little bugger bit me...to the bone.  He was tiny but ferocious...so tiny he was still trying to nurse on the big cats when he first came in the house. 

The good news is that "Foster" is now a happy member of the family.  He really wanted to come in...but it had to be his decision.  The other good news is that the big cats explained the basics like litter pan use and not biting Mama.  I'm learning the virtues of a large family.

My understanding is that ferrets make great pets...not my style, but then I've never had one.

laurel

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »
I've been told that ferrets have a personality that is about halfway between that of a cat and a dog. I held one at the pet store a while back and was surprised at how amusing the little guy was - it was a creature with a definite personality. Then again, I've had rats as pets as well, and find them to be very charming.

One misconception about ferrets is that they're "wild" animals. There are very few truly "wild" ferrets, and they are also NOT domesticated weasels. They have been kept as domestic animals for a very, very long time (used as rodent control much like cats) and thus are no more "wild" than your average dog or house cat. Apparently you'd probably never find a feral ferret either, because they wouldn't do very well if they got out and had to survive on their own.

I've heard that they take a lot of patience and ferret-proofing, but are great pets if you're willing to keep up the ownership end of the bargain. The only reasons I haven't ventured into ferret ownership are 1) they have a fairly musky smell that I'm not sure I like, and 2) their lifespan is fairly short (~5 to 7 years) and they are prone to some diseases and cancers. After losing multiple rats to mammary tumors, I've avoided short-lifespanned housepets because I just get too attached to bid them farewell after only a couple of years. :)

Laurel