Author Topic: Hello FSWers!  (Read 1753 times)

Offline jnojr

• Rather Interested
Hello FSWers!
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »
I've never been particularly thrilled at living under a bunch of government, and it's only getting worse in California.  More and more, I want to move "somewhere else", and I really like the idea of a "Free State" type of situation.

What would someone be looking at, money-wise, to have a nice, snug little place on a few acres, maybe near a pond or lake, that's "remote" enough that they don't have to see other houses or hear other people's daily activites, yet reasonably close to "civilization"? :D  And by "civilization", I don't mean much more than a place to buy the necessities of life, go out for dinner once in a while, maybe a theater, etc.  The bigger the "big city", the farther away I'd prefer it :D  As far as a location in the state, reasonably close (within maybe 2 hours) of an airport would be nice.  I know there isn't going to be any "San Diego weather", but maybe a part of the state where the weather is less severe? :)  As far as work, all I really know how to do is computers, so I guess I'd have to be reasonably close to a relatively "big city".  I've thought about getting into law enforcement, too, so somewhere where I could maybe join a Sheriff's Department or something could work out.

It's important to say, I'm from California, but I'm no Californian :D  I do admit to liking the weather, but i'm not into a big city life.  I go to work, hang out with my dog, and chit chat with friends some.  As long as I can get cable or satellite TV, Internet access, and be near a library, I'm happy.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Hello FSWers!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 01:21:52 PM »
Welcome to FSW and the forum. I'm an escapee from California, and can't tell you how glad I am to be here instead. Almost a year now...

I live in Newcastle, WY, a small town in one of the milder climate areas. We have all of the benefits of a small community, but can still get to a relative "city" for those things not available here, especially medical care and a commercial airport. Rapid City, South Dakota is about 86 miles from here, though normal "city type" shopping and entertainment can be found a little closer in Spearfish, SD. only 65 miles away.

There are libraries and theaters here too, and larger ones in Gillette. As far as I know, there is no "cable TV" here, but lots of people have satellite dishes, so that's not a problem if you've just GOT to have TV. <G> I don't, and wouldn't take it as a gift. :)

Housing is getting more expensive by the day. You will probably have to choose between having some land in a remote area and the city stuff you want. There isn't too much available with both -- but it could happen. And you'll probably need to forget about the lake. We don't have too many of those here.

Others will have to help you with the IT job situation. I don't know anything about that.

I'm sure the others will tell you the same thing... the best way to find out what is here and whether or not you'd like it is to come visit. We're happy to talk with you, and show you around our areas if you visit.

Hope that helps a little.
MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: Hello FSWers!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 03:17:47 PM »
Howdy jnojr and welcome. Have you ever been to Wyoming ?? There are several folks here, like MamaLiberty,? who have made the move from California. We have all sorts of info here on different places in Wyoming so take some time to look through the threads and plan on making a trip out here !!?
If you take your time and? look around you will find just the land you are looking for. Here are a very few examples.

http://www.realestatelaramie.com/land.htm

http://hometown.aol.com/mtnsales/vacant.htm

http://www.allwestrealty.com/Lander_frame.htm

And many others at the "wyodex" website under realestate.

Lots of talk also on this thread.   http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?board=12.0

There are also many folks here who work with computers . If you can figure out a way to work on line I am sure you will find advise here from those who are already doing it.? ? ?Miles
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 03:21:17 PM by wyomiles »
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785