Author Topic: Wyoming Jobs Beckon, But Housing Is Scarce  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Wyoming Jobs Beckon, But Housing Is Scarce
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:18:06 PM »
Pretty decent article...... Time to build houses :D
Regards, Danl ~W~

Wyoming Jobs Beckon, But Housing Is Scarce

(CBS) When the Springers say they're closer than most American families, they're not exaggerating.

They moved from their home to a travel trailer, CBS News correspondent Cynthia Bowers reports. The trailer has been their home since April, when Kenneth, Joann, and their boys made an 1,300-mile trek from Bakersfield, California to seek their fortunes in the Cowboy State, Wyoming. ......
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
Re: Wyoming Jobs Beckon, But Housing Is Scarce
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:21:15 PM »
The situation is different in different parts of the state.

Cheyenne has such plentiful housing now that used homes are staying on the market a looong time and prices have slipped 5 percent from 2005.  There are plenty of jobs here, too, but not mining jobs.  Here it's mostly retail/service jobs, construction jobs, some professional jobs, and of course state government jobs, being the capital city.

If you have electronic repair skills I know a shop that is fairly desperate to hire someone.

There is also a new Walmart warehouse complex going up just west of town that will employ a few thousand when it's finished sometime next year. Union-Pacific Railroad is hiring, too.

-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline Danl

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:54:34 AM »
The situation is different in different parts of the state.

Cheyenne has such plentiful housing now that used homes are staying on the market a looong time and prices have slipped 5 percent from 2005.? There are plenty of jobs here, too, but not mining jobs.? Here it's mostly retail/service jobs, construction jobs, some professional jobs, and of course state government jobs, being the capital city.

If you have electronic repair skills I know a shop that is fairly desperate to hire someone.

There is also a new Walmart warehouse complex going up just west of town that will employ a few thousand when it's finished sometime next year. Union-Pacific Railroad is hiring, too.

There you go folks....... Cheyenne, as cities go is not a large city like Chicago.? What, maybe 50,000 people?? It is great town with a mall and Denver and international flight travel is an 1 or 2 hours away.

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 06:39:48 AM »
Scott, a few thousand ? WOW , any idea what kind of pay scale they will have ?  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline jnojr

• Rather Interested
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »
Scott, a few thousand ? WOW , any idea what kind of pay scale they will have ?

It's Wal-Mart.  It won't be much.

I'll flip the Magic Eight-Ball and say... $9 an hour.

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »
The Cheyenne Wal-Mart is starting pay at $13/hr according to a flyer I saw at a Wyoming Job Network office.
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »
Ew, I hate Wal-Mart. Cheyenne sounds very promising, though...thanks for the info. guys.
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline packin_NC_79

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
My dad is an assistant manager for walmart. They definately put food on the table and a roof over our heads. They aren't the easiest company to work for and I can understand why they are paying so much. I would work there, but I'd rather live in the country. I guess Cheyenne is close enough to the country that the commute wouldn't be so bad. I'd personally rather shop at an old general store and a farm supply store. You'll find most everything your looking for there, and they will actually say hello.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson