Author Topic: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!  (Read 89915 times)

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 07:27:17 PM »
Ratnik glad you found us !  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 06:36:16 AM »
Welcome, folks. Can't imagine how I missed this post earlier!

Don't be a stranger now!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »
Wow, thanks....all great stuff that should be reread often.
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline Danl

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:09:17 AM »
Thanks all for this thread.? Hopefully my wife, with time and prayer, will come to a whole hearted moving decision.? I have sold my biz.? The buyer is a little shakey financially and in other ways.? But I feel like the Lord is leading me this way..........? I think it was Cashus Clay/Mohammed Ali who said "it is hard by the yard but it is a cinch by the inch."? So..... we'll take it in inches.....

BTW, Ratnik, very inspiring story.? I couldn't make the this Jam but was at Jam number 1 and the "Grand Western Conferences".? Hope you hunt up a lot of our FSW bunch already in Wyoming.

Regards, Danl ~W~
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:36:23 PM by Danl »
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
I have sold my biz.

Wow, that's something, Danl! Sounds like you're on your way!  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Danl

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 03:38:15 PM »
I have sold my biz.

Wow, that's something, Danl! Sounds like you're on your way!? :)

Thanks Paul.? I am really working hard on it.? I am also working hard some Biz opportuinities.? I have set up a Wyoming Corp already with a FSW member acting as Registered Agent for me.

Regards, Danl ~W~
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:18:24 PM by Danl »
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 03:01:55 AM »
Great news, Dan!

Very cheery to read, and I'm glad that FSWers have been
so helpful for you.  Please keep us all posted as you "inch"
your way to Wyoming.

~W~
Boston

Offline Danl

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »
If things continue to work out, I will bring within the next year a manufacturing biz to Wyoming.? Some of the work will be outsourced.? If there is not adequate labor all of it will be outsourced to a location that can handle the work.? I would really like to have that Cowboy Logo with made in Wyoming on the product.? Wouldn't that be great.  Right now I would need to find a firm that can do production sheet metal bending.  I am working on a prototype and the patent work will be done in Chicago.....

Regards, Danl ~W~

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
I am working on a prototype and the patent work will be done in Chicago.....

It's interesting to hear that you are going after a patent, as I am too.  In my case, I am developing a system of very cheap microprocessors that communicate with each other with encrypted messages.  I have been advised several times to get a patent for certain parts of my network design, so I decided to wade through the beaurocratic crap and file for a provisional patent.  If things look positive for my product family in the next ten months or so, I will file for a regular patent.  If nothing else, that should help protect my right to sell my own product without interference from someone else trying to claim my invention.

If you would be interested in chatting about the patent process, please feel free to send me an email or PM.

All the best!
-Richard
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »
Oh Richard, that sounds so awesome!!!  ;D

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 12:16:50 AM »
Interesting news on the tech front, but back to the topic:

Reading through the other testimonials here, I find that my outlook is a bit different from many folks in this group. What I mean is, I don't long for the rustic life, so much. While I can appreciate the beauty of the great outdoors I'm perfectly happy living in a tract home on a quarter-acre lot with a convenience store within walking distance and a variety of shops and services located within a short distance.

What I do crave, however, is the maximum amount of liberty I can get, primarily, and secondarily, a reasonable cost of living. I hate taxes with a passion, and I hate restrictions on my right to keep and bear arms with just as much passion. I love the freedom to live my own life and raise my own kids as I see fit, limited only by the equal right of my neighbors to do the same.

So being an unrepentant city-boy who craves liberty, I chose Cheyenne as my new home. Casper might have worked just as well, but I have friends and relatives, and a business associate, in northern Colorado I also wanted to be near. (As it happens I was born in Fort Collins but hadn't lived there since I was six months old.)

The transition was fairly easy economically -- selling our SoCal home we had a nice fat down payment for a much nicer home in Cheyenne costing less than half as much as we sold the old place for. Groceries are a bit pricier than we were used to but most other things cost slightly less, our power bill is much lower, and lower sales taxes and property taxes plus no state income tax really helps the bottom line.

But it was difficult for my sons leaving their friends, and the supervisor at the post office here, where my wife transferred to for this move, is such an incredibly abusive s.o.b. that she had to take an early retirement to preserve her sanity. Now she manages the food court at the local Target and even though she makes half as much money as her 20-year postal service job paid, they treat her very well there.

(Although frankly, as a libertarian I was always a bit embarrassed having a wife working in the public sector, even though it's mostly user-fee rather than tax-supported, and I'm glad she's out of it now.)

After two years I'm satisfied that despite the problems this was a good move for us. I like the cooler climate (and lack of bugs), the more relaxed pace of life, and the financial benefits of living here, but I haven't had to give up much at all in the way of urban amenities. What I can't get in Cheyenne I can get by driving 50 miles down the Interstate to Fort Collins. Or via mail-order.

Cheyenne has numerous restaurants (we're getting an Olive Garden soon!), department stores, supermarkets, liquor stores, office-supply stores, computer stores, bookstores, cinemas, a small theatre, entertainment venues (most of them but not all "country" type), museums, a respectable library, a brew-pub, nice parks with an indoor swimming pool and a botanical garden. For armed-forces people, there are both American Legion and VFW posts.

So, I want everyone to know that you don't have to be and iron-thewed Mountain Man to live in Wyoming.

It would be nice, though, to get some more libertarians here in town, so I don't feel so much like the Lone Ranger.

-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »
Thanks for that, Scott. You sound like me...

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FREEDOM NOW! For the future.
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 10:19:25 PM »

So, I want everyone to know that you don't have to be and iron-thewed Mountain Man to live in Wyoming.

That's funny dude. And good to hear for those less stoic than Jared and I!  8)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »
Thanks, Scott.  We'll send you reinforcements ASAP!   ;D

_________
Folks, let's please keep this thread pretty trim on topic,
and chat about the finer points of things in their own threads.

Thanks,
Boston

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
Howdy all!

It's been awhile since we've had folks post here, and many
have moved here to Wyoming in the meantime.  Let's hear from you!

This thread will be linked on http://www.freestatewyoming.org, as a portal to our forum (and us!).
 ~W~
Boston