Author Topic: The How and the Why of FSW, for me  (Read 7130 times)

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
  • I am not a part of your empire.
    • The Indomitus Report
The How and the Why of FSW, for me
« on: February 11, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »
Dear Friends,

I would like to try to pour some oil onto troubled waters, if that is still an acceptable idiom in these enviro-whacko years.  My purpose here is to try to soothe ruffled feathers and persuade people to work together rather than to draw apart.

We all know what Free State Wyoming is.  It is a project, much like the Avery Lawrence Free State Project that sent abolitionists to settle the Kansas Territory in 1854, intended to use human migration for political purposes.  Specifically, the goal is to encourage freedom oriented people to move into Wyoming to be a part of the freedom culture there, and to vote in elections there, and generally be near each other to help out in a huge number of ways.

Why does Free State Wyoming exist?  It exists because Ken Royce, also known as Boston T. Party, called it into existence.  It exists because he told people after the vote for Free State Project that he thought Wyoming was better than second best, and because he was going to make it happen.  It also exists because in 2004, a bunch of us showed up to the first jamboree.  I was there.  And in 2005, I was there, and got wet with everyone else.  And in 2006, I was there.  And, now that my various court cases have settled, in 2007 I plan to be there. 

Free State Wyoming exists because more and more people have joined up, have come out, have learned about the effort, the people involved, and the enthusiasm has been inspirational.  This forum exists because Ken wanted some way of communications for people involved in the effort.

Now, it has not all been smooth sailing.  This forum didn't used to exist, and there was an FSW group on Yahoogroups for a time.  I was on that forum, and you can read the archives as easily as me, and you can sure tell that there was some fur flying.  That forum system, by the way, is very linear, and not very flexible.  The tool you have before you on your screen is much more flexible, allows for threads to be separated, often widely, and is valuable in other ways.  I won't go into the virtues, but suffice it to say that I am deeply impressed and very grateful to Joseph Hodge and all the administrators and moderators who keep things moving forward.  It is really orders of magnitude better.

Some years ago, I signed the statement of intent.  I agree to move to Wyoming.  I am now, this year, finally, in the process of making that move.  I am really, really looking forward to my new life in Wyoming.   I paid my $25.  And, from time to time, I've done a little more.  The amounts involved are nobody's business. 

And what is the money used for?  Where is my audited financial statement on FSW?  Why have I never received an annual report?  Let me say right here, right now, I do not wish to know.  I have repeatedly searched for a good way to express ambivalence in the English language without seeming to be uncaring or unfeeling, and it isn't available.  I've even postulated a new word, like korg, which would be applied to this particular purpose.

Do I not care?  Absolutely, I care a great deal.  I want to see FSW succeed.  I want to see FSW blossom further, and be able to sustain its doubling rate, and accelerate that rate.

But I do not wish to know how the money is spent, because I know the people involved.  I have, at some expense and considerable trouble, gone out of my way to meet Ken Royce, to attend the aforementioned jamborees, and to visit Lady Liberty in ... her home state.  In attending the jamborees, I met Paul Bonneau, Joseph and Penny Hodge, Richard H, Rich H, and many others on this forum.  As far as you new folks go, there is nothing better than attending a jamboree, to find out what these people are like - how great they are, how sincere, how dedicated, how decent, how hard working, how honest, how courteous, how determined, and how sensible.

So, it comes down to trust.  The people involved in FSW have earned my trust.  I know that they can be trusted with money.  I've seen them doing things with paltry sums of money, hardly anything, and getting results.  So, I know that they are dedicated and worthy of trust and able to do a lot with a little, and therefore worthy of more money whenever I'm able to send some along.  (Now that my legal battles are done, I should be able to do more, soon.)

How do things work, then?  They work the way that Ken organizes them, and the way the people involved choose to do them.  How does the money get spent?  According to the ideas that Ken has and the best ways he and his team can figure out how to fulfill them.

There are a lot of metaphors, some of them better than others, about this sort of situation.  I would liken FSW to a ship.  We are on a vessel that is headed through some very rough weather, to a destination we have each been seeking all our lives.  Some of us have chosen to climb aboard and some have chosen to climb the rigging.  Some are in the galley working on the next meal, others are trying to patch the leaks in the hull, and we're all doing whatever we can to bring in more passengers, make the vessel seaworthy, and accommodate the divers interests of sundry newcomers. 

When I got on this ship, it had a captain, and his name is Ken Royce.  He's still captain.  There are some crew, too, and I've gotten to know many of them.  As above, I admire and respect them, I appreciate the stand they have taken for freedom, their diligence is incredible, and there is not one person alive who should not reflect on what this effort may mean, and thank those involved.  Thanks, guys.

Why were some threads moved so only members of FSW could see them?  Because that seemed best to those running the forum.  Why have some people chosen to distance themselves from this group?  Because that was the choice those people took.

How is the captain chosen?  He isn't.  He was captain when I climbed aboard, he's captain now, and I daresay he's doing an admirable job.  And I wouldn't wish his tasks on anyone, from what little I've seen.

How is the treasury filled?  By people who agree that they want to see this project work trusting those involved with some money.  Through contributions.  Maybe through some fundraising projects - MamaLiberty is spearheading the cookbook project.  I've still got a real estate project that could throw some significant funds simmering on a back burner.  The treasury gets filled by you choosing to put up some money.

How is the money spent?  What, you thought web pages were free?  Web hosting is free?  Not on any of the servers I bother to use.  Recently, there was quite a bit of clamoring for fixes to the web site, and talk about other things that needed doing.  I know that I didn't send in any money at that time, being rather preoccupied with various charges against me, but I didn't see an overwhelming outpouring of wealth from those demanding change, either.  And, as above, I really don't want to see the sausage being made.  People involved are doing what they can with the little resources that are available, and are working hard to make T-shirts, books, silver coins, promotional literature, and resources like this forum available.  I'm not about to raise a concern about money.  (And, if it comes up again, I'm happy to help produce an annual report.  My company has done that work for many start-up ventures, and it can be useful.)

The Why of the FSW is simply this: The United States is suffering from tyranny.  The American people are being subjugated by tyrants.  I want that to end.  I want to live free.  I know that I am not going to go out into space and settle on Mars until I'm free to do the things that I need to do to get that done, and I am determined to leave this planet.  So, I need free countries in which to operate.  Having been all over the planet in pursuit of my business interests, I think Wyoming is one of the few decent prospects.  It might be the harbinger of great things, and turn around the whole country.  But if it is a pocket of freedom and resistance to tyranny, so much the better.

The How of FSW, for me, is however.  However it gets done.  What we are up against, in the form of tyranny, is so broad, so diabolical, and so deeply rooted, that it just does not bother me how the FSW treasury gets spent.  I really have no reason to concern myself with any of those choices.  I know the men and women involved in FSW, I admire and respect them, I have trusted them with money, and I'll continue to do so.

What about censorship?  I'm against it.  Right.  Censorship is bad, and being against it is easy.  But, I'm also aware of the world in which we live, and the people involved in making it a much worse place.  I have suffered a great deal as a result of information getting out in the wrong way, or at the wrong time, causing controversy.  At times, as in December 1990, my best efforts to get the right information out at the right time failed, and that also caused problems.

So, if some threads are moved around, relax.  Rigging on a ship gets run in different directions all the time, as the wind blows, as the ship needs trimming, as the choices taken by various crew members require it.  Just because some threads are moved about does not mean anything diabolical.

People are dying.  Right now, this week, in this country, people are dying for lack of freedom.  An amazing seven million Americans are incarcerated or on probation or parole or otherwise restricted in their liberty.  Today.  Thousands of Americans have given their lives in a war in Afghanistan, Iraq, and now Somalia which appears to have been in some parts based on lies and deceit, and has included some really heinous torture and other not pretty stuff to think about or look at.  And there is corruption in high offices, there is graft and greed, there is brutality and murder, there is a clear effort to enslave the American people, there is injustice galore.

So, please have a bit of perspective, folx.  We're all on the same side here.  Contentious arguments about various ideas or personalities are not helpful, and if those threads get locked, good.  Some threads are about things we don't want everyone on the planet to read about.  If threads get moved, good.  If you want in to see those threads, the membership fee is a very low hurdle, and the cause is just, and I vouchsafe the honesty and integrity of the people involved.  And if you still don't want to pony up the bread to be a part of the team, then don't expect free cake.  Review the fable of the Little Red Hen and figure out where you fit in that scheme of things.

If you've read this far, thank you for your attention.  I would like you to have a nice day, but over half of what you spend on anything goes into paying for some sort of tax or fee, some regulatory compliance, and some large amount of useless gov't paperwork.  I'd like you to have a nice day, but there's a war on American liberty, so it isn't easy for you to have one.  I'd like you to have a nice day, which is why FSW was organized.

Because, whether it produces less government or none, whether it forms the core of a future resistance, or whether it simply brings good people together to help each other live better lives, FSW is part of the solution.  We aren't going to have many nice days while we suffer from tyranny.  If you have no idea how much tyranny there might be, Aaron Russo's film America: Freedom to Fascism is available for free to watch on Google video, and gives you some glimmer of the extent of the depredations, violence, brutality, and thuggish behavior on offer.

I need FSW to succeed.  I won't have good days if it fails.  I want you to be a part of it, if you are reading this post, and if you are sincerely interested in individual liberty, private property, and the human condition. 

If you want FSW to succeed, then put your complaints to one side, grab a line, and haul.  There's work to be done, money to be raised, people to be seen, places to go, things to do, and I really have no time for the quest for who's wrong, why they did it, or who gets to run things.  If you have not yet realized how stormy the seas ahead might be, then get a grip and look around.  If you are concerned because the captain ordered hatches battened down and some thread you were following got battened down in the hold, then put that in perspective.  You may not see the need to move the conversations around or lock them, but I do.  We live in a world of spies, intrigue, and thoroughly unconstitutional invasions of privacy, with extraordinary levels of brutality for those who are victimized by their own government.  In that perspective, give me a break, and get on with your life.

FSW is worth having.  I'm dedicated to its success.  Please be a part of the team.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jim

My long posts make some think I'm a key figure in FSW.  I'm not. I'm not an officer nor a leader.  I'm just this guy.  I think FSW is a great idea, & defend & promote it as I'm able.   Assuming that anyone agrees w/me is mistaken. Your bad results from your poor assumptions are your responsibility.

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: The How and the Why of FSW, for me
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »
Thankyou Jim. I've been rather concerned about recent events here and done some looking around. The ONLY title I've seen BTP give himself is "founder".  How old are you Jim? B

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:34:41 PM »
Thanks, Jim. Well said. Can't wait until you are here! MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline malachirc

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »
* Stands and begins applause*

This is the type of thing that makes me want to be a full member of FSW.

Offline FreedomFighter101

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »
sending my SOI tomorrow! ~W~

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 07:03:53 AM »
Dear Biathlon,

Thankyou Jim. I've been rather concerned about recent events here and done some looking around. The ONLY title I've seen BTP give himself is "founder".  How old are you Jim? B

You are welcome, sir.

Looking around is good.  As in the ship metaphor, it is possible to reach the same destination on a different vessel.  There are many people traveling in the same direction.  Some in other states nearby, such as the WAL group in Montana and Idaho, and some in states not nearby, such as the NH Underground and FSP in New Hampshire.  There are also groups, like Sovereigns of the High Frontier Society, that are working on other projects and with some of the same people.

Yes, the only title Boston has given himself is "founder."  My use of the term "captain" was in the context of a metaphor.

My age is one of those private things about which I do not prefer to write openly.  There is danger inherent in doing so.  People are free with their age, their birthdays are often found out by friends, and then their names are found out.  Well, your name and your date of birth are, together, far more digits than your SSN (if you have one) and therefore a better way to exactly identify you.  Any cop, any person with access to "public records," and most of those credit check systems are able to take a name and date of birth and fetch forth an amazing array of information.  I should prefer not to disclose my exact age.

But, here's something: I was born in the first few years of the 1960s.  Which puts me at or near my mid-40s.  Why do you ask?

Regards,

Jim
My long posts make some think I'm a key figure in FSW.  I'm not. I'm not an officer nor a leader.  I'm just this guy.  I think FSW is a great idea, & defend & promote it as I'm able.   Assuming that anyone agrees w/me is mistaken. Your bad results from your poor assumptions are your responsibility.

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:05:16 AM »
sending my SOI tomorrow! ~W~

I'm very pleased.  Way to go!

Offline clemmac

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:15:40 AM »

My age is one of those private things about which I do not prefer to write openly. 

Whoops !  Any forum member can get the information below by viewing your profile.

Local Time:    February 12, 2007, 08:08:15

Clem

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:13:48 AM »
Thanks Jim, once again you bring your best to the table.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline biathlon

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »
I asked about your age because we need seven to honor the ancient way of the elder council here in Wyoming. Traditionally, you must have survived 50 winters to serve. B

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
Dear Clem,

Whoops !  Any forum member can get the information below by viewing your profile.

Yep.  And, it occurs to me to suggest that you may, or may not, choose to believe everything you read.  ;)

Biathlon, no I am not that ancient and decrepit, just yet.  Soon.   :)

Regards,

Jim

Offline clemmac

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 05:24:04 PM »
Jim,

OK, I'll assume that you're 49 3/4 then, since you said you were soon to be "50 winters".  Hmmm,  maybe that's not very wise of me either  ;) 

Is 50 really "ancient and decrepit" ?

Clem

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:06:18 PM »
Dear Jim,

As simple and all-inclusive as I tried to compose our SofI for
the purposes of common liberty, it such posts as yours that
"colorize" what we are trying to do.?

Thank you for the words you wrote.?
They were refreshing and inspirational, and just when needed most.

As much as the FSW can be compared to a "ship", I guess I
can be compared to its "captain."?

Also, I appreciate your publicly stated trust in my stewardship of
the FSW donations, both membership and subsequent.?

btw, post-membership donations can be earmarked for a particular purpose,
or pooled together with other for an ad hoc expense of your own choosing.
That way, there are no "books" to keep/inspect, and 100% of your money
buys exactly what you desire.

Jim, thank for all the time and care you have consistently given to us all here.
It will be very nice to have you as a Wyoming neighbor!

Friendly regards,
Boston

something you can get started yourself.

After that, simply ask for help, and you'll likely get it from enough of us.

Once you're here, the FSW has served its purpose for the most part.
It's merely the bus to Wyoming.? The seats are basic, and it has no stereo sound.
Some passengers will occasionally have issues with the driver, and vice versa.
But, the most important thing is this:? its destination.
We do have that in common, else we wouldn't even be on the same bus.

I'm committed to doing my part in helping you get here.
Once you're here, what you do is your own business.
Filling in the gaps at the local level is up to you, the locals.

I will remain to provide (very) basic FSW structure and direction, but I've really no
energy, time, or desire for anything more than that--and, fortunately, the
FSW itself needs nothing more than that from me (if we keep in mind what the
FSW is and is not).

Finally, there should naturally arise local "nodes" of FSWers across the state who
begin to flex their own identity, ideas, and independence.? Such was generally
the point of moving here in the first place.? ?:D

Boston

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:12:17 PM by Boston »

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 10:39:49 PM »
Dear Boston,

Your comments are very helpful, and clarify much for me.

So, look here folks, the metaphor of the ship.  In my view, each one of us wants to live free.  What that means to you is up to you.  How you live your own life is up to you, and that means you are taking lots of choices, all the time. 

In that sense, you are the captain of your own ship.  You are sovereign, free, and independent.  You choose how to be, what to do, and what not to do.  Each one of us is responsible for his or her own choices, and, therefore, for whether or not our ships float or sink or reach their destinations or become lost at sea.

Extending on this metaphor (beating this dead horsey) it seems that we are some of us hitching our boats together.  Sort of like a giant raft, as in that fun novel Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson.  As in that story, the raft breaks up when it nears the shore of America.  The refugees come ashore.  Similarly, the purpose of FSW is to bring you to Wyoming, after which you cut your ship loose and continue on your own.

Each person who signs up is agreeing to move to Wyoming.  The organization is agreeing to help support people in moving to Wyoming.  And here we have this really great tool for communication, discussion, and story telling, the FSW forum.  Thanks Joseph!

Which sort of begs the questions: What do we do once we arrive?  Well, some answers are obvious.  Find work, find homes, get involved in our communities, make friends, and figure out how to make things better.

One of the groups that I've been organizing and raising funds for is Sovereigns of the High Frontier Society.  My thought there is to bring together people interested in education, especially in math and science, and provide facilities including classrooms, libraries and reading rooms, computer labs, and observatories.  Maybe some day we'll offer classes, degrees, and research fellowships.  Just as obviously, we don't have to be the only ones doing these things.  I'm very pleased to see that there is a lending library project which arose because of this forum, and which has quite a few enthusiastic adherents, already.  Great!  Competition, in my view, is excellent.  The more the merrier.

Another group that I've contemplated is one that I call Sovereigns Search and Rescue.  It would organize search and rescue facilities for eastern Wyoming.  Maybe get some surplus equipment from the fedgov.  Presumably get some EMT equipment, perhaps offer some EMT classes (CPR, swimming, orienteering, map reading, etc.). 

A group which already exists is the Wyoming Libertarian Party.  Several threads on their work exist on this forum.   Some of the members of FSW may be inclined to join the Wyoming Republican Party or the Wyoming Democrat Party - and I've nothing to say against the idea.  Get involved where you think you can do the most good.

Finally, on the topic of real estate, I've been thinking about a few projects.  Some would provide places for FSW members and friends to park RVs or trailers, others would have lots for single family homes, and some involve existing real estate to be bought and rented out.  There are several more elaborate projects, including a big music venue, a multi-use development, and an amusement park (Futureworld meets Westworld and skewers the authoritarian mouse).

As with all projects, and ideas, it is easy enough to come up with something to do, a little harder to organize a good business plan, and hardest of all to follow through.  I always welcome help, advice, and derogatory remarks, simply because there are too many things to do.  Any help, any comments, always welcome.

I'm grateful to you, Boston, for your vision of this project, and for your humility.  You are very wise not to try to run everyone's lives, nor every part of every project people come up with.  Good on you, man!

Regards,

Jim

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:52:49 PM »
Dear Jim,
Thank you for the words you wrote. 
They were refreshing and inspirational, and just when needed most.
Boston

;D He is great, isn't he?
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man