Author Topic: Community life in a smaller town  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
Community life in a smaller town
« on: July 01, 2007, 01:10:34 AM »
Had a great example today of one of those intangible "quality of life" issues.  Sitting at home, I have 2 friends just stop by to chat.  Head into town to the post office and run into another friend.
Stop by a tourist spot with my out of town guest and it turns out someone I know has a part time job there and we chat for a little bit.
On the way to the creek to relax this afternoon I stop for gas 17 miles away and happen to see another acquaintance who invites us to go tubing with them.
Then in another town later today for dinner another 12 miles away, happen to meet yet another friend from town at a local park!

So 6 friends I've run in to today in an almost 30-mile radius!  Back in Washington this would *never* happen.

I love it here! ~W~
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
Re: Community life in a smaller town
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 01:32:44 AM »
Aww, thanks for sharing that, Jared! That is neat.
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »
I've experienced the same thing myself, including bumping into Jared several times!
Even yesterday, I was sitting in my truck outside a grocery store in Sundance and ran into my "favorite" local gov't employee! Seen him, as well as several other attendees of local meetings, at several places. I'm always surprised when it happens, but I guess I shouldn't be. It is a small place with lots of familiar faces.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »
I have fantastic neighbors in Newcastle. Thursday night it started to rain. I heard a loud popping sound from near the old trailer and was afraid there was a short circuit happening! Even with the rain, the grass is dry out there and a fire would be a disaster. I called my neighbor and he rushed right over to take a look. He isolated the wires that were popping, then came back the next evening after work to make sure it was totally safe. What a guy!! But that's just par for the course here in Wyoming.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »
That's awesome! So glad to have met you guys last week!
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline biathlon

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »
    It gets better. This happens to me in Jackson, Lander, Dubois, Pinedale, Bondurant, Gillette, the list just keeps getting bigger. Don't even mention Laramie. B

Offline Paul W. Allen

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:29:21 PM »
 ;) Out here, each other is all we have, Paul.
True freedom is only found through self reliance.