Author Topic: JenS on her way  (Read 5483 times)

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
JenS on her way
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:39 PM »
Planning on coming up early September to find housing and work, namely Crook County, but if the job is right...I may reconsider elsewhere. Then moving my stuff! Any design/writing/marketing/banking jobs you know of, let me know. Thanks! The goal is to work for myself, though. I will work in any bars if someone won't mind teaching me how to bartend, music venues I am especially interested in, as I am a music freak. A flexible schedule will come in handy as I will be homeschooling for the first time, and building up my business. 
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
Re: JenS on her way
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:18:25 PM »
That is so wonderful Jen! Congratulations  ;D
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline Atlas Shrug

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »
You go girl!!  Show 'em some good NC gumption and you'll do fine.

Good luck with everything along the way.  Pace yourself, keep a balance, and remember to have fun.  It's too easy to make a chore out of the little things we should delight in (OK, the drive is still a pain, though  ;)  ).
Keep your powder dry,

Atlas Shrug

"Ordnance trumps Ordinance"   -Atlas Shrug
"The only thing worth getting up tight about is your rifle sling."  -Bobcat

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:44:31 PM »
That's great!
Any idea about the Crook County location? There's already 2 of us in little ol' Beulah. We could use a 3rd, especially since I'm moving out to Devil's Tower at the end of Sept.

There's a couple of bars in town that are always hopping. Beulahtrash has some inside contact info with the owners.

What kind of housing are you looking for? Rent, own, ranch, house, apt?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance regarding looking up ads in the Sundance Times. I buy it every week. Would be glad to go inspect any potential situations and report back.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:54:43 PM »
And with your skillset, living in Beulah would make for an acceptable commute to Rapid City where you'd be able to command more $$.  60 miles, but it's a South Dakota 60 miles so it should take less than an hour.  Beulahtrash does it daily and it hasn't done him any harm (hmmm, maybe he's not the best example ........... ;D)
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline AmbGun.com

• The Meek Shall Inherit the Gulag.
    • The Ambidextral Gunfighter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:05:33 PM »
Taking a cue from your FSW video post, you could look at producing a weekly video show to stream on the net....could do it thru RTcom.tv. Just sell some local businesses on the advertising and you're on your way. We've found a solid pool of advertisers for our football games. If this idea catches your interest, you should stop in a visit Melrose Telephone (Diversicom) in MN to see what they're doing. I could put you in touch with someone there.
http://www.sctv19.com/
They produce alot of original "local content" video. And a good bit of their content is produced by independent videographers.

Something on space, rocketry, or blowing stuff up would probably sell.
Author of
The Ambidextral Gunfighter
The Philosophy in Defense of Firearms

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:42:06 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone for all of the truly excellent ideas! I will definitely look into all of that! I really should go cheap as far as a place to stay, at least until I pay off my school debt. A cheap place probably means I really should lose a lot of this stuff I've accumulated, but I do plan to keep the big pieces of furniture. I've been spoiled in a way, my place here is a decent size and I have only a 20 min commute. But being comfortable just makes you lazy, it will be good to purge the stuff I don't need. What I am gaining in WY will outweigh everything else. Plus, it will be an adventure. I'm all for that.

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:56:51 AM »
Congrats Jen, Hope to see you when I get there in Sept also.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
Wonderful!!!

There are some relatively inexpensive apartments here in Newcastle. I'd be glad to check them out for you. There are two banks in town, Pamida, both grocery stores and several other stores are always looking for help. Don't know about the bars, but I suspect you can do better than that almost anywhere.

Or you might take over Mac's place in Beulah, if he's going to give it up. It's not too big, but should be adequate until you can find a place of your own.

Lots of possibilities! I'll help all I can and would be glad to have Rachel stay with me sometimes if you want. We'd have a ball, and I'd sure be glad of the company. Can't wait to have you all here. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
Excellent!  Congrats on making the decision and commitment.

As Atlas says, it takes gumption!

It is certainly encouraging to see so many parents homeschooling their kiddos.  With my wife being a teacher, I just keep rolling the idea around of FSW'rs starting our own school...?  Hmmm...  A whole separate thread.  Don't want to steal your thunder, Jen.

Best of fortune to you before, during and after your move!

Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline Beulahtrash

• Wolverine
  • Needs To Get Out More
  • I enchant the easily entertained
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 09:18:42 AM »
HA HA Jared. If you really want to work at a bar in Beulah I can introduce you to the owner/operators of both establishments in Beulah. Spearfish is only about 15 min away and has lots of banks, bar and other work opportunities. It is also a college town so there is lots of turnover. When you get up here let me know and I'll see what I can't get set up.
"May your enemies be on full-auto" -Col. Jeff Cooper
"& may their side arms be modern 1911's." -Beulahtrash

III

Offline Rufus T. Firefly

• Social Type
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 06:02:11 PM »
Planning on coming up early September to find housing and work, namely Crook County, but if the job is right...I may reconsider elsewhere. Then moving my stuff! Any design/writing/marketing/banking jobs you know of, let me know. Thanks! The goal is to work for myself, though. I will work in any bars if someone won't mind teaching me how to bartend, music venues I am especially interested in, as I am a music freak. A flexible schedule will come in handy as I will be homeschooling for the first time, and building up my business. 

There is a web/video job in Powell.  Don't know if that's up your alley or not.

http://www.creativehotlist.com/index.asp?linkTarget=fullJob.asp&jobID=104721

CreativeHotlist is a site that I check frequently as finding a graphic design/production artist job is the one big roadblock to me moving to Wyoming.  They seem to be pretty rare.   :(  But I have seem some here and there in the past.
"Search for the truth is the noblest occupation of man; its publication is a duty."
Anne Louise Germaine de Stael (1766-1817) French author

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 07:45:10 PM »
The only thing that somewhat limits my search for a place is my daughter and my cat. I need enough elbow room for my daughter and I, and my cat is an indoor one, and I would prefer to bring her. I don't think she'd do well outdoors, especially in WY.

The only people I've told about moving to WY so far are a few friends and my daughter's dad here in NC. He just got married, and hasn't gotten back to me yet about how we're going to work out visitation. His mother warned me against "isolation" in WY and how it won't be good for her granddaughter. Isolation that means less crime, peace and quiet, respect for neighbors can't be bad! I mean does she think we will have fewer friends? She probably fears we'll be "backwards". We won't be progressive and fight for bigger prisons like she does.  ::) If she knew I was going to home school my daughter, she just may flip. But....it's not up to her. I am not going to to tell my parents we are moving until we are there, they are gonna have a big fit, but oh well. Hopefully we'll be able to come back out east every so often. At least my mother thinks the homeschooling idea is good.

I don't feel I had been able to explore Crook enough the week after the Jam, or any place for that matter, it felt like we just did a lot of driving. Still a great trip.

I have more direct work experience in banking/credit union customer service and campaign event/fundraising related planning. I am very good at helping others and calming them down when they are upset, and I have a big smile. I do fine art and I know HTML and some graphics, and I've done some freelance writing for the web and newsletter layout. I think I'd rather do more freelance stuff than work in a creative sweatshop. Most of my writing samples are assignments for school, and my published work all has a strong political bent.  >:D I love the challenge of trying to get others to see things MY way. Definitely looking for challenges, doing the same old thing gets boring. So glad school is almost over.

Bobcat, that school idea is really great! I think we should do it.

ML, You are great, Rach likes you a lot. I am looking forward to seeing you and everyone else again. Great people, all of ya. Best of luck Colonialshooter, on your move. Fun stuff. Haha. Thanks to everyone for the support! I will take you up on it when I come up. ~W~

Offline lunghd

• What? You've lost your liberty? *doh!*
    • Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 06:40:56 AM »
Congratulations Jen! From speaking with you at the Jam there is no doubt in my mind that you WILL accomplish all of your goals!

Kick some butt!  ;D
If it ain't broke; DON'T fix it. This includes Wyoming.

535    thieves in Congress each stealing 1FRN from you.
   1    thief promises to "bring home" 60% of your 1FRN.
----   -- ---------------------
534.4 FRN in their pocket - .60 in yours. Explain how that's a good deal again.

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »
Thanks!  :D