Author Topic: Possibilities and Choices........  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Libertymom

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Possibilities and Choices........
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:33:55 AM »
Okay folks, here goes the questions.  I have a company that is looking at possibly hiring me here in Wy  :D, they have several locations for assistant manager.  Buffalo, Thermopolis, Newcastle, Wheatland, Evanston, Green River and Rock Springs they also have some locations in Casper but they do not seem to need asst. mgrs there.  They would like to put me in a "perfect fit" location and that is hard not being there and knowing the areas and its residents.

Given the fact that I would like a minimum of 5 acres preferably 20 or more but that has to been in an area that Northgunner and I can afford.  Unless I work on co-ordinating a group of us for a larger land purchase (already spoke to JenS about this) and know that there are other posts on this subject (please feel free to PM me about what you are looking for).  I ideally want an area that has some trees and meadow areas.

As for research that we have done on the internet Rock Springs seems to be the one with the most crime rate.

Random thoughts so bear with me as I jump around.  We want to do a hobby farm for self-sufficient living as well as utilizing solar and wind power but since the house here in AZ has not sold, and we would be pushing our plans to get to WY months earlier Northgunner and I would probably want to find a roomate situation for starters.  The kids have opted to stay in AZ  :'( but my mother has had a lot of negative influence into that but that is a whole nother story.

This particular company has relocation expenses, yet I have never had to deal with negotiating this into employment.  They would like me to give them what I am looking for income-wise as well as what I would like to have for benefits.  Again not something that I have dealt with in the past.  This position pays under 30K a year and that is also something else to keep in mind but it would still be a jump in pay from what I have been making in AZ.

Another thing to consider is that Northgunner would be leaving his job and would have to find work here.  I don't know if I need to put part of that into the relocation equation too?  He is currently working as a security guard. 

What does a person ask for in relocation expenses?  Should I consider lowering my 1st year's income with them in order to offset the relocation expenses?  Am I looking at moving expenses only or some housing expenses?  Would moving expenses be handled by a professional moving company or could it be boxed and moved by us?

Please give me your thoughts about the above cities and nearby areas to live in.  We are used to a 30+ minute commute here in AZ so you will need to let us know if certain areas have weather conditions that we need to be aware of if we wish to live outside of them. 

Thanks for all your help guys!
Libertymom and Northgunner ~W~

Offline Atlas Shrug

• FSW Rifleman
Re: Possibilities and Choices........
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »
Quick general comments:

Request:
-paid apartment in new local for 90 days while you look for housing
-gas reimbursement for the initial drive to WY
-professional movers to move you once you've found "final" housing in WY

IMHO do NOT lower first year pay as a part of this.  Things in the future tend to change and anything affecting your base salary is cumulative, like compounding interest if you will.  Get the pay negotiated FIRST, then state the above as expected and reasonable relocation expenses.

I don't know about your field, but in my past life as an engineer the above would all be assumed and not any problem whatsoever.

Don't buy until you've lived in the area for a while.  Get there, start work, explore the heck out of the region, make contacts, get to know folks, etc.  THEN buy what you think best suits you.  To find what you want will take some work, and likely some sacrifices as well.  We all want a little oasis, but with little good H2O WY tends to offer few such perfect places.  That's why Kalifornia has not relocated to the entire state, no?

Good luck.  I hope to see you in WY sometime, although for now I'm just a visitor as I'm still holding down the fort here in NC......
Keep your powder dry,

Atlas Shrug

"Ordnance trumps Ordinance"   -Atlas Shrug
"The only thing worth getting up tight about is your rifle sling."  -Bobcat

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:19:43 AM »
I'd love to talk to you about Newcastle. It's a beautiful little town and the climate is pretty ideal. Have you looked at my blog? http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswblogs/mamaliberty/  I have pictures of Newcastle there in the photo albums. I need to post more pictures too.

Please PM and we can talk. I'll be happy to answer any questions or do basic research for real estate, etc. Don't count on what you see on line. Since it's a seller's market here, most real estate agents keep the best deals exclusive instead of putting them up for multiple listing.

Anyway, congratulations on the job. You must be one impressive employee for them to offer you such flexibility - and moving expenses on top of that!!

Let me know how I can help. :) MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Brandy

• Submissive in totality to one only.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »
Just a quick thought and I'll post more later.  Wheatland is close to major cities if that is a need.  But it is also close to Gurnsey and it is possible to live in Gurnsey and work in Wheatland.  Gurnsey is small and I have talked to and work with people who live in Gurnsey but work other places.  Gurnsey is on the N. Platte River and large parts of land may be more affordable around Gurnsey than some other places.

Brandy ~W~
Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline Libertymom

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:58:22 AM »
Update for everyone.  My second phone interview went well and I am on to a third.  They are very interested in having me work for them and they have enough openings in different areas that I will have a job with them no matter when we decide the move is "right." 

The events here in AZ are certainly pushing us to make the move on the "sooner" rather than later.  The company is wanting Northgunner and I to pick some times that would work for us to come and visit the different city choices and they are willing pick up that tab  :D!

Negotiations on income went well as well as benefits and moving costs.

But all of you still feel free to give me your insight, please!

Thanks to everyone on their input it has all been helpful.

Libertymom

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:32:25 PM »
LM,

Good to hear all appears to be 'on track'.  Hope things work out for you all.

Thanks for starting this thread.  I am following this with keen interest in what you find out about these various cities.  Some I have been to and some I have only 'heard' about.

I have some of my own opinions and since they are founded on second hand or minimal info, I'll keep them to myself.  I wouldn't want to submit any marginal or misinfo.

I am curious about Thermopolis?  The city has a nice website, but without actually visiting it's sorta hard to get the full picture... 
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
LM, Rock River is not too far from where I just purchased 35+ acres. Look at RockyMoutainTimber.com . Ask if they still have forclosures on the WY-Tex ranch.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »
CL,
What's the story on water availability on Wy-Tex?
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »
Buffalo, Thermopolis, Newcastle, Wheatland, Evanston, Green River and Rock Springs...

The question answers itself.  ;)

Sorry for being flip, but I'd sure look hard at Newcastle. Nothing like having friends/support right when you arrive...

Although, on the other hand, it seems very easy in Wyoming to cook up a whole passel of new friends when you get to wherever you are going. At least it's been that way for us around Cody.

I like Thermopolis too, but getting that little place out of town can be difficult because of the water situation there. Did you see that article in Backwoods Home (it's online) about Thermopolis? It's been posted on a couple of threads in the forum. There are also some FSW-type folk there too though they don't spend time on this forum.

Don't buy until you've lived in the area for a while.  Get there, start work, explore the heck out of the region, make contacts, get to know folks, etc.  THEN buy what you think best suits you.

Sound advice!
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »
I like Thermopolis too, but getting that little place out of town can be difficult because of the water situation there. Did you see that article in Backwoods Home (it's online) about Thermopolis? It's been posted on a couple of threads in the forum. There are also some FSW-type folk there too though they don't spend time on this forum.

The article is most helpful, but one still has to 'walk' the place...  After all Hot Springs county is on OUR list is it not?
Bobcat  

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
All Wyoming counties are on "our list", and Hot Springs is way up there.

Libertymom, hope to see you out here soon!

Boston

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
Libertymom, take advantage of the offer to visit each town. You will know which place you like best after you visit them.
 After living in the GreenRiver, Rock Springs area for 27 years I would say that, based on your above listed criteria, you would probobly be better off on the Eastern side of the state. Atlas covered it well in his response.   Hope it all works out well for you all.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Brandy

• Submissive in totality to one only.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »
Talked with a nurse last night that lives in Wheatland.  She said that property in Wheatland is affordable but prices are even better in Gurnsey and its only a 30 minute commute between the two towns.  I've heard many less than favorable things from traveling nurses about Rock Springs but I have nothing first hand to tell you about it.

Brandy  ~W~
Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 12:26:24 PM »
Well if you don't mind 30 minute commutes then, live in Moorcroft and work in Newcastle!  Buy SpaceCowboy's land, it's for sale right now!  And it's a good deal.  Buy, buy, buy!

If you're moving to help out with influencing things for liberty, that would be where you would be most helpful.  We already have a cadre of people in Moorcroft, Hullett, Sundance, etc. and more would be very welcome!!!!

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »
Cadre, eh? Sounds very stylish, like the vanguard of the proletariat revolution.  :D

Sorry John, just like to tease once in a while.
Laws turn men into slaves.