Author Topic: Visiting Gillette-Sheridan areas end of month  (Read 3786 times)

Offline bjk389

• Reader
Visiting Gillette-Sheridan areas end of month
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:22:39 AM »
I am so glad I found this forum, I've been lurking and reading everything daily.  

Many of the comments and views pertain to the way we live our lives on a daily basis.  We are in VA and evidently our minds took a trip to WY and didn't tell us. ;D

A little about us:  both in early 40's, grown children(they'd probally move to), self employed in HVAC.

We have been researching WY (for a relocation) for a couple of years.  We keep coming back to the areas around Gillette-Sheridan.  The end of this month we will be meeting with realtors in both areas.  I would welcome comments and suggestions about these areas.  We will be looking for properties outside of town with 40+ acres.

Also, while we would love to see the "sites", I am more interested in the "mom & pop" operations(motels, diners, grocery stores, stores, you get the idea).  We want to be able to gauge the communities and figure out which we fit into.  TIA............

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Visiting Gillette-Sheridan areas end of month
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »
Welcome, BJ! There are quite a few of us in the NE corner here and I, for one, would love to meet you. Come visit and I'll show you the sights of my little town. I'm in Newcastle.

There are many good opportunities to open a small business here, and a number of our members are working on that right now. PM and we can talk a bit about that in private.

How wonderful if you can get your children to come with you! I had to leave mine, and the grandkids, in California. You are indeed blessed.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Terrible Claw

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »
Great!  I hope I get a chance to meet ya'll.  Man From Nevada is there, Jared, too.  Mother Frog has a horse tack and rug business in Moorcroft and several of her "tadpoles" are with her now spread about Crook County and Gillette.  I anticipate being back home in less than a week.

Claw
"It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a Bible-reading people." - Horace Greeley, 1852

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
Welcome Bjk, glad you found us. Be sure to bring some warm clothes with ya and don't let Wyoming in January scare you off ! ;)
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:38:58 PM »
Yes, welcome to the forum!
I'm about 60 miles from Gillette right here in Crook County. Be glad to hook up with you, weather permitting . . .
Don't really have any "sites" to show you, but will be glad to meet you.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline bjk389

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
Thanks for all the offers to meet, may take you all up on that.  Still trying now to schedule our time.  Land in Rapid City on the 22nd, and plan to drive to Sheridan that day, then to Gillette around the 24th, leave on the 27th. 

Anyone got any suggestions about local "mom & pop" type places:  motel, dining, grocery store.  I think we would have a better chance to meet and speak with locals in these places.   

Also, are there any places we should avoid when looking for property?  ie....absolutely no winter road service, no utilities, high property prices, etc. 

Offline bjk389

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:25:01 AM »
Welcome Bjk, glad you found us. Be sure to bring some warm clothes with ya and don't let Wyoming in January scare you off ! ;)

LOL, wyomiles.........yesterday morning it was 19 here and 14 this morning.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »
It's a balmy 42 degrees now in Newcastle, headed for a possible 44 or better high. Night temps have been in the low teens or single digits for the last week or so, but the forecast is for a low of 28 tonight and about that the rest of the week. It can change fast, however, so no bets should be placed, please. :)

We are supposed to have high winds today - possible gusts to 60 MPH, and there is even a "severe weather warning" because of it, 8PM tonight through tomorrow, but right this minute there isn't any wind at all.

You just never know in Wyoming. :)

Offline bjk389

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:13:59 AM »
We will be in the Gillette area from Jan 24-27.  Would like to take a couple of you up on offers to meet (coffee, dinner, etc....).  If someones schedule allows please let me know.  Thanks...............

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:02:42 AM »
BJ, please PM me for a phone number and directions to the house here - if you plan to come into Newcastle. Let me know when you are coming and I'll throw the coffee pot on! And maybe something good from the oven if I have enough warning. :)

There should be at least one other FSW couple nearby, and we can put out a call for others in the immediate area to gather if we have enough lead time. :) Just let me know.  You'll no doubt get the same invitation from the bunch in Gillette and other areas.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
Ditto.
PM me for phone or email address.
In case you don't know how to Private Message, just click on a user's name, and from there pick "Send this user a Private Message" <or something like that>.
Then, if we PM you back, when you log on, near the top of the screen where it says "Messages", you'll see something like "(1)". Click on that and then read your messages.

Mac
<Devil's Tower area>
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 09:56:21 AM »
We did see -15 in Cody a few days ago. The good thing is when it does get really cold, the wind usually dies down as well. Plenty of winter sun too. I like winters here!  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline bjk389

• Reader
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:48:20 AM »
Hi all----just returned from 6 day visit.  Already planning another trip for next month.  What a beautiful state.  Hope to hook up with some FSW members next time.  We are still trying to figure what area to move to.  Where ever we go it would be out of town with some acreage.  We did like Sheridan, but, was concerned with high property prices and worried about employment for the kids(3-all in 20's).  Gillette, prices were more in line with what we expected(still high though), employment does not seem to be an issue.  Crook County was my favorite, but then again, worried about employment.  Anyone with opinions or input?.......barbara

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 08:22:31 AM »
You came that close and didn't stop to see Mama? Darn.  :'(