Author Topic: The impossible case of moving.  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
The impossible case of moving.
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
The more I read, the more I feel I must move out west to WY.  I proposed to my wife that we set a date to move in one year.  I was met with a long list of reasons why that is near impossible.  The biggest of which being that we have neither money nor great credit.  I am somewhat convinced that I could find a job.  A job, which began as the biggest of my worries is now becoming the least of my worries.  We live on a very tight budget to allow for my wife to stay at home with the children.  I don't technically currently own a home, but because my mother-in-law owns the house that we partially pay for I do have some responsibility to get the home restored and sold before the move.  I hear all the time about someone being offered a job in another city and moving there, but the task seems rather daunting.

So, any advice from those that have up and relocated when they didn't really have the means to do so?

Offline PatriotMedic

• Reader
  • Molon Labe
Re: The impossible case of moving.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »
Getting the job first is crucial if you don't have the means to stay unemployed for an extended period time.

Moving is a lot easier than some people think.  IMO the only real hold up is gainful employment. I moved from South Florida to NW Indiana with barely 2 weeks notice.  It can be done, I'm proof.  The plus side is that I had a job and actually never even missed a paycheck in the transition.

If I had a job making 75% of what I made now in Wyoming (Idaho or Montana)* I'd move in a heart beat.

*It's a much easier move and transition to move from one state to another than across thousand miles.  Especially considering you can drive to an interview in a neighboring state with much less hassle.

Good luck and I'm sure the people on the ground can direct you to good source to start looking for jobs.
Gotta get out of here ;)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: The impossible case of moving.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:52:53 AM »
Finding a good job should not be a real problem in Wyoming. Finding a place to live might be a bit more of a challenge. But that can be done too if you are not too picky to start with. Let your FSW neighbors help. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.