Author Topic: Wanted to say Hi....and wanting to move to Wyoming from Tampa, FL have ?'s  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Avalanche2082

• Reader
Hello everyone I have been thinking about moving to Wyoming for quite sometime now. I am hoping to move out there next summer.

I have a few questions about living out there hopefully I can get some information.

First question is for anyone who has acreage, I want to know what any of you would change about the land you own or do you have any regrets about its location or anythings like that?

Having lived in Tampa, FL all my life I have no idea what it is like to live in an area where there is room to roam. The whole Tampabay area has more people living in it than the whole state of Wyoming and there is very high crime and I have been robbed before I was old enough to carry among other things in this city, it has made me not be able to trust anyone and I am a bit anti-social but I figure if I move out to Wyoming I can get away from all this mess and live in peace.

Second question would be do you think I would fit in around Wyoming?

I am a quite person like to be left alone, and don't trust people.  You all seem very friendly and I would want to not fit in because I don't like to socialize much. I tend to choose my friends wisely and there for don't have many.

Third question is about the demographics in Wyoming. How are they?

My father is getting very old and he will more than likely move out there at some point to live with me so I can take care of him. He has always wanted to live in an area where there are more caucasins than others and it predominatly caucasin. How would it work out there for him? (Not trying to offend anyone)

Fourth and final question is about a friend of mine who has recently want to join the band wagon and come out there too. He happens to have a wife and a girlfriend and all 3 live together peacefully and live normal lives, they don't want children, and just like to be left alone. I wonder with there not being so many people out in ol' Wyo that they may feel like the don't fit in and will not be welcome? What do you guys think? Will they be accepted out there? Here no one seems to notice because there are just to many people living in one area to notice.

Thanks in advance for all your replys if I can think of any more questions I will ask.

How is the weather out there all year round am I going to freeze?

-From the sweaty, nasty, crowded state of florida.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Welcome! Most of your questions have been answered before, some many times. If you spend some effort reading on this forum, you'll probably get a better idea than any one person can give you.

As we always say to new folks, the best idea is to come visit and see for yourself. Your needs and wants are different than those of anyone else, so their impressions can only be a starting point for you and not the basis for your decisions.

As for the threesome friends... remember that most of the folks here are quite conservative and traditional, but if they really did mind their own business and didn't flaunt it, nobody would probably say anything. I can't speak for anyone else, of course.

Lots of information on the weather on this forum. Just remember that you can always put on more clothes when it's cold... but there is a limit to how many you can take off in the heat and humidity. So far, after a lifetime in the California desert, I'm loving every minute of being in Wyoming.

But you'll have to come see for yourself.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Pumpkihn

• Rather Interested
I don't live in WY...yet.  But if most of these folks are of the same mind as me, they have a pretty strong "mind your own business" mentality.  I don't care what you do or how you live.  You respect me and my boundaries and I'll respect you and yours.  That kind of attitude is one that I'm seeking in moving to WY.  I, like you, am not a very socially outgoing person.  I just want to breathe free air and be left alone.  I am not a traditional christian type, and I am not at all afraid of that demographic.  It is the freedom minded that I seek in WY, not those that just wish to control others in a different way.  Take a good look and find your place.  I suspect that you can live fairly anonymously in the state.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
Having spent time in Tampa on business, I can not fathom living there.  The winter weather may be pleasant, but the stiffling heat and humidity of summer blew me away.  And my comparison for that is the heat of Phoenix!  I've stood (doing no physical work) in Tampa, in the shade, at 6AM (summer) and had sweat pouring down my back.  Not exactly pleasant.

Surrounded on all sides by swamp didn't endear me either.  I've had encounters with gators in resorts on the outskirts of town.  Shessh those critters can move!

Florida simply didn't do anything for me, from Miami to Jacksonville to Gainsville.   That's just my preference.  I prefer the seasonal changes.

While temps in WY can get pretty cold, especially by Tampa standards, most folks learn to adapt and enjoy the seasonal changes.  You may want to consider some seasonal visits before you make the move to test your tolerance for the seasons.  Visiting Yellowstone in the winter would be a great 'trial'.

If your of an independent, conservative mindset, and are willing to pull your own weight, you'll likely do fine.  Lots of small towns with folks that simply have to fend for themselves.   
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline biathlon

You may have to consider the elevation here before you bring your dad. Most of the state is well above 6000 feet and then some. The eastern half may be your best bet. Are you gonna freeze? Yup. You'll need to learn a whole new set of rules for cold weather. I absolutely LOVE cold. 20 below only means I'll use a really hard wax and HAUL A$$!! Good excuse for a big white man fire.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Howdy Avalanche 2082, glad you found us. Plan a trip to Wyoming if you can. I think I am pretty antisocial most of the time and there are lots of places to get away from others in Wyoming. Take some time and read other threads cuz there is lots of info here. As long as your freinds don't call to much attention to themselves they should do fine.  You won't freeze if you dress for the cold. But it can get mighty cold in Wyoming. ;D
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline manfromnevada

Avalanche,
Most of your questions can be answered by doing a little web searching. Climate data is readily available. So is demographics.

Staying to your self is fine. I do. I only go to town once a week. Have but a few friends up here, but it's quality, not quantity, right?

Regarding property, I'd probably not buy such rugged property if I had to do it again. Half of my land I've only seen twice, and that is with great effort. Steep and thick with trees and shrubs (and wildflowers and deer and turkey and songbirds and elk). Makes for a good buffer between me and the neighbors, but there's really no good use to put it to, not even a rifle range!

Regarding your father's preferences, I haven't seen a black person in WY for about a month now. Haven't seen anyone wearing a turban (sp?) on his head either or wearing mid-eastern garb. Haven't seen an Asian person around here at all. Don't hear much Spanish spoken either, especially not in Spearfish. Maybe ocassionally at the WalMart in Gillette, but that's unusual. It just seems that a lot of minorities don't come to WY. Maybe it's a critical mass thing. I don't know. Those are the facts as seen by this humble correspondent!

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
He has always wanted to live in an area where there are more caucasins than others and it predominatly caucasin.

I think you mean "caucasian".

Hard to know what to do with this concern. I prefer to put it a different way: live in a place where people don't make a big deal about race. Then it doesn't matter what color others are.

Is there such a place? My wife is asian and finds no problem in Wyoming; if anything, the reverse. Personally I think there are a lot better reasons to discriminate, than what tone of brown a person's skin is. For example, whether your neighbors are statists.

As to what to watch out for in property, beware mosquitos in farmland. Farms are usually flood-irrigated around here, and that seems to produce a bumper crop of mosquitos.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:07:00 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com

I have a few questions about living out there hopefully I can get some information.

Glad to help if I can!

First question is for anyone who has acreage, I want to know what any of you would change about the land you own or do you have any regrets about its location or anythings like that?

I've got just a smidgen under 640 acres. I wouldn't change a thing- it's mt Granddad's post WWI Homestead Act tract- and it's about 8 miles south of Newcastle, close enough to be convenient without being citified.

Having lived in Tampa, FL all my life I have no idea what it is like to live in an area where there is room to roam.

Most folks like it. For one thing, there are a lot of spots that are just doggone pretty.

The whole Tampabay area has more people living in it than the whole state of Wyoming and there is very high crime and I have been robbed before I was old enough to carry among other things in this city, it has made me not be able to trust anyone and I am a bit anti-social but I figure if I move out to Wyoming I can get away from all this mess and live in peace.

You might be smart to be less than trustful of folks in an anthill like that. Out here, you may come to find that your neighbors aren't so close-in like rats in a box that they chew on each other out of habit. Folks in Wyoming will generally stop for a car or truck pulled over alongside the road and check if there's any problem, because that's what neighbors do out this way. Forget and leave your gate open when you leave, and somebody passing by will likely close it for you. They're not being nosy, they're trying to be helpful.

Second question would be do you think I would fit in around Wyoming?

I am a quite person like to be left alone, and don't trust people.  You all seem very friendly and I would want to not fit in because I don't like to socialize much. I tend to choose my friends wisely and there for don't have many.

You might like it in Niobrara County. The county seat is Lusk, which has around 1500 folks, the whole county had 2407 in the 2000 census. That's in a county that's  2,628 square miles  2 square miles water. That's a little different from Tanpa.

Third question is about the demographics in Wyoming. How are they?

My father is getting very old and he will more than likely move out there at some point to live with me so I can take care of him. He has always wanted to live in an area where there are more caucasins than others and it predominatly caucasin. How would it work out there for him? (Not trying to offend anyone)

Not a problem. Out here, those kind of differences are generally offer But as examples, the demographics for Lusk/Niobrara are
White Non-Hispanic (96.8%)
Hispanic (1.6%)
American Indian (0.9%)
Two or more races (0.8%)

more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobrara_County,_Wyoming#Demographics,

Fourth and final question is about a friend of mine who has recently want to join the band wagon and come out there too. He happens to have a wife and a girlfriend and all 3 live together peacefully and live normal lives, they don't want children, and just like to be left alone. I wonder with there not being so many people out in ol' Wyo that they may feel like the don't fit in and will not be welcome? What do you guys think? Will they be accepted out there? Here no one seems to notice because there are just to many people living in one area to notice.

There's a polygynist [not polygamist, look it up and observe the difference, and know more than your local TV newsreaders do] bunch over at Pringle across the South Dakota state line from Newcastle, and nobody seemed to care much before the TV made a fuss about it. Likewise, the Bighorn Basin around Byron/Lovell/Cowley was settled by Mormon families, and Evanston over in Uinta County. Depending on which bunch of Mormons/ LDSaints you're around, some are for it, and some are agin it.   

Thanks in advance for all your replys if I can think of any more questions I will ask.

How is the weather out there all year round am I going to freeze?

You may not be able to find one in the stores down Florida way, but they got these new inventions out this way called *coats* and *sweatrers.* Some fellers look right handsome in 'em, and some look downright silly. But as long as they're warm, nobody seems to laugh much.

-From the sweaty, nasty, crowded state of florida.

To the tasteful mountain rocky peaks and rolling grasslands, the scenic views of Yellowstone, and some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen anywhere in the world, bar none. You might like it out this way.

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline manfromnevada

Re: Wanted to say Hi....and wanting to move to Wyoming from Tampa, FL have ?'s
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
Archy,
I think you efforts are wasted since Avalanche hasn't posted since July. Probably gone.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Brent610

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
Don't worry his post wasn't for nothing, I found it very helpful. I am also from FL and looking to migrate out of this mess to where people are of a similar mindset. Looking forward to reading and learning more here.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 07:43:32 PM »
Howdy Brent610. Be sure to ask questions if you have any ! We are here to help.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Brent610

• Reader
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Thanks I will try to think of something but from what I have seen in my browsing pretty much every question has been answered. Wyoming looks like a perfect fit for me. I am going to try and make a trip out around Feb/March 09. Glad to see these forums are fairly active, I am almost done reading BTPs Molon Labe and have the freedom bug.