Author Topic: ??? A Molecular Biologist in Wyoming ???  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Twilight's Last Gleaming

• Reader
    • Random stuff from a chaotic mind
??? A Molecular Biologist in Wyoming ???
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
I've been mentioning Wyoming to my wife on occasion... always just in passing.
It's the slow process of getting Wyoming on her mind.

Problem:
She's getting her PhD in Molecular Biology
Now, I know next to nothing abount molecular biology, except that she messes around with DNA, genetics, chemicals, and radioactive stuff.

Since I lack the background in the field, I can't put forth an argument to convince her to consider Wyoming unless there is some *non-academic* industry in Wyoming that will have a need for a Molecular Biologist in about 5 years.
(the current specializations in the biology departments of the universities in Wyoming are not compatible)

Like I said, I'm clueless about Molecular Biology, so I have no idea what to look for....
Who do you serve.
And who do you trust?

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: ??? A Molecular Biologist in Wyoming ???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
She's getting her PhD in Molecular Biology ... Since I lack the background in the field, I can't put forth an argument to convince her to consider Wyoming unless there is some *non-academic* industry in Wyoming that will have a need for a Molecular Biologist in about 5 years.

I guess the first question is, "Is her PhD and love of molecular biology so important that all other family matters are subordinate?"
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
Theres the oil shale industry, to get approvals for expansion they'll need to have people
check for environmental pollution. Mines need consultants for environmental impacts, and on
down the line for various industries.

But she's looking for that six figure Ciba type job, that might be kind of tricky.

vonu

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

Problem:
Now, I know next to nothing abount molecular biology, except that she messes around with DNA, genetics, chemicals, and radioactive stuff.

Since I lack the background in the field, I can't put forth an argument to convince her to consider Wyoming unless there is some *non-academic* industry in Wyoming that will have a need for a Molecular Biologist in about 5 years.
(the current specializations in the biology departments of the universities in Wyoming are not compatible)

Like I said, I'm clueless about Molecular Biology, so I have no idea what to look for....

Is there a reason why a doctorate in molecular biologist can't hang out her own shingle on the Internet?

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »

Problem:

Is there a reason why a doctorate in molecular biologist can't hang out her own shingle on the Internet?

Dice.com or some place like that might give her a lead. I hate to say it though, but Ames, Iowa or
Salt Lake City, Utah would be the only likely spots even close to Wyoming where there any sort
of gene splicing/analytical work. Possibly something in Denver, Colorado or Kansas on a smaller
university lab kind of scale might be viable.

A friend's mother said something about Iowa City for a nuclear medicine work, but that's iffy since the
DOE funding has been pushed over to war funding.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »
Well I just did a quick search for jobs in Wyoming and there are a couple of companies that do medical research etc. They have branches in Cheyenne, Laramie and Casper. So If you do a search you will see some that might work.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

vonu

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
Well I just did a quick search for jobs in Wyoming and there are a couple of companies that do medical research etc. They have branches in Cheyenne, Laramie and Casper. So If you do a search you will see some that might work.

Unfortunately, there are probably more molecular biologists employed in the military-industrial complex than in all other field combined, with the possible exception of the pharmaceutical houses.

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »

Unfortunately, there are probably more molecular biologists employed in the military-industrial complex than in all other field combined, with the possible exception of the pharmaceutical houses.

Iffy, crop genetics is insanely hot now, as well as chemical modifications to grain to produce all sorts of
odds and ends. ADM might have something in the wyoming area, dunno offhand.

Offline telomerase

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:12:27 PM »
There's always NH. Dartmouth has jobs for molecular biologists, as do Millipore and many biotech companies in southern NH. NH also has the advantages of far lower tax rates, fewer gun laws, and a lot of settled-in Free Staters (including a couple of state reps, check out nhliberty.org).

In Grafton NH (where I live), even the local newspaper is run by Free Staters (and we're hoping the September issue will actually be debugged  Roll Eyes)

www.graftongazette.com

But you do have to put up with lots of forests and kayaking rivers in NH... if you want total desolation, you've got to stick with Wyoming  Grin

PS this isn't to say you should move to NH if you really have a good plan to find a job in Wyoming... there's plenty of room for 50 Free State projects  Wink  But if your career or lifestyle requires more "division of labor, comparative advantage. etc.", NH is always here.

Offline telomerase

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
whoa, is there an edit function, or I am forever to bear the same of having posted without looking for it?

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
whoa, is there an edit function, or I am forever to bear the same of having posted without looking for it?

Members get to edit after a certain number of posts. Don't worry about it.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
So join us, rather than coming here and cutting us ,and Wyoming, down.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »
Ha! Typical geeky putdown. Libertarian types like that will always make their projects a niche movement.
Who wants to pile into a movement full of elitist fruitloops like that ? Probably a whole other bunch of elitist fruitloops. >:D They'll spawn a state full of people that will keep the late Freddie Blassie spinning in his grave. ::)

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:52:11 PM »
Problem:

Find out what she knows about Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis and biomass gasification. I suspect that there's a CONSIDERABLE possibility of a biochemist/ molecular biologist finding work either in Wyoming or neighboring Montana,
The market is um, growing....

Background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer-Tropsch_process

Fischer-Tropsch Archive [including Bureau of Mines and DOE]: http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/

Montana Governor Schweitzer and the Montana Symposium:

http://www.free-eco.org/articleDisplay.php?id=475

http://www.montanariveraction.org/coal-synfuels.html

http://governor.mt.gov/hottopics/faqsynthetic.asp

Casper Star-Trib article, Oct 1991: http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2005/06/22/news/casper/a2e0ab59d0ef19c0872570270020fd84.txt

Governor Brian D. Schweitzer
Office of the Governor
Montana State Capitol Bldg.
P.O. Box 200801
Helena MT 59620-0801
(406) 444-3111, FAX (406) 444-5529

Lieutenant Governor John Bohlinger
Office of the Lt. Governor
Montana State Capitol Bldg.
PO Box 200801
Helena, MT 59620-1901
(406) 444-3111, FAX (406) 444-4648

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »
Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis is industrial petrochemistry. What some refer to as "bucket chemistry". A very crude comparison would be a cosmetic reconstruction process, compared to rendering fat off of pigs and processing it to extract cholesterol for cosmetics or synthesis into hormones.

Her specialty would be to on a super basic level, to say, take the instructions to make insulin, and insert it into e-coli to make insulin, and then work on a process to extract and assay the results of a given process.
Repeat times 20x under different modifications, do a cost benefit analysis, and work up the basic outlines for an industrial line to produce insulin. And of course, work along with twenty other people or more, and make your work stand out enough that your performance reviews won't look like hell even if they choose someone else's work over yours.

"Welcome to the machine" as they say. And her husband wonders why she doesn't talk about it much.  >:D
And of course, replace insulin(a high school level project these days) with todays hot organic chemical wonder.