Author Topic: (Yet another) Wyoming Bound - Crook or Weston (Carbon maybe?) County  (Read 4966 times)

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: (Yet another) Wyoming Bound - Crook or Weston (Carbon maybe?) County
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »
Yep thats it, you beat me to it.
So tell me about life in the pedro ranches if it is not to personal?  Are you off grid? Have a garden or greenhouse? Animals ?  How deep is your water?  Is the trailer you talked about for sale? As I saw a listing for a lot with a trailer on it for sale. There are many of us here who are looking for potential places to live with like minded neighbors so any info you can share would be great.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »
That particular parcel has a spring fed creek running through it.  Runs year-round.  I'm off-grid as most folks are.  I truck in my water, hoping for a well in the next year or so, and was told once that water can be found at about 80 feet on average, but don't quote me on that.  :P  Some folks from Iowa have a place nearby and want everyone to use their well to keep it working.  Has a 12 volt pump you can hook to your battery.  I work as a tilesetter in and around Casper, so I don't have any stock or a garden, but will be planting a small garden this year.  Water is my problem in both instances.  I don't know of any properties with trailers for sale, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.  I live in a trailer for now.  The parcels have been selling, slowly, and I would like more like-minded neighbors myself.  I sure hate to see the place get bought up, but it's gonna happen anyway, might as well make sure the land goes to people who didn't vote for Marxism last November.  There are lots of absentee landowners/investors but I don't know how you would get ahold of them.  Maybe the county.  The Century 21 ad you showed earlier is a pretty accurate representation of the area.  The roads are maintained only by us, so have an appropriate vehicle, and a snowmobile isn't a bad idea either.  My property is at 6850 ft.  The one you posted is probably 100 feet or so lower.  There's a house with a quonset hut near the entrance for sale, I'm sure you could find it on realtor.com.  Nice place with utilities.  It's a manufactured home and I think it's around 200k.  Century 21 in Casper has 6 parcels last time I checked and they could be found on realtor.com as well  Search outside of Alcova and you should find them and the house on realtor.com.  Send an email to (anything you feel like typing in) at rantnation.com and I can tell you more.  Put "Pedro Mountains" in the subject line so it doesn't get ignored.  Sorry, but I don't want to post my email for the spambots to find.  I get enough email from Russia as it is...
John
In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.
Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798, 1798

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:06:10 AM »
Thanks John, I might check that area out this spring. Got info coming from a realtor.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
I realize I'm the new guy here, but I gotta ask, if you don't believe in property rights, just what are you doing on this site?

Ah, I'd say Hank is perhaps a little out of step with the rest of us on this. If you own your property, you can do anything you want with it, including posting it and putting up fences (as long as you do not cause problems on your neighbor's property). There is obviously room for some give and take in this proviso, but I'd certainly try to avoid bringing government in to settle any dispute with a neighbor. The best way to settle disputes is to head them off before they begin, by being on friendly terms with neighbors. Of course, you know that...

But maybe what Hank was complaining about was just a matter of taste. I complain about that myself. People who stick their eyesore homes up on ridges so everybody else has to look at them is my own pet peeve. I think they should be able to do that, but I wish they would have more consideration for their neighbors. A lot of them are urban transplants, who are not used to depending on and caring for neighbors.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:30:48 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »
I guess I'm an urban transplant myself, being originally from the hellhole of St. Louis.  I moved to Colorado way back when until I realized that I had actually moved to CALorado.  Talking about the politics, and not necessarily the people of California.  Many CO natives are as "Californicated" as the transplants, and good riddance to them all.  I live in a trailer and will be building a house, and while the hilltop is where the least amount of snow piles up I have decided against building there for the reason you stated above and just put a road on the ridge instead that turns down the hill at the end...  I try to be a good neighbor and I don't complain about the derelict cars in my neighbor's yard; what's his is his to do with as he pleases and besides, they have been a good source of parts for me.  :D  There are 1 or 2 others who don't feel that way and like to scare him (and the rest of us) with threats of an HOA, legal action, etc. but so far it's been nothing but talk, and a vote on an HOA would go down in flames as it should.

I go back to Missouri, see family and friends, and listen to the stories about how they hate this neighbor, how they've lived there for 10 years and never spoken to another, etc., and am glad I live in a place where I not only wave to mine when I drive by, I can and do stop and talk.  I'll help them put a roof on their place or whatever and they'll do the same for me.  These things are mostly unheard of where I grew up, so I know what you mean when it comes to the urban mentality, and I hope my adopted "neighborhood" never changes.  That makes me hesitant to even mention the Pedros in this forum, but growth is inevitable, I guess, and if I tell people about what to expect before they get there we'll all be better off.
In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.
Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798, 1798