Author Topic: What the Sage Brush has brought...  (Read 2382 times)

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
What the Sage Brush has brought...
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:53:23 AM »
The day after attending a farm machinery auction and ROTFLMA at the huge prices some items were bringing...the kids drug me down to their "fort" in the cat-tails down by the creek to "look at some old farm stuff".

Lo and behold the sage hid two pieces of equipment both just under 100 years old...a cultivator and a disc harrow which included its own sage bush (six inches round & four feet tall) growing up through the middle of it...so they'd probably been just sitting down there 60 years or so.

Here's an old ad picture of what the disc used to look like... ;)

After prying, cutting sage and dragging the pieces up to the farmyard...the cultivator was re-tongued with new wood & bolts (bought on a short trip into town as firing up the blacksmith forge would have excessively delayed the repair  :() in a couple of hours and was making the first pass over the garden acre, formerly known as "the front pasture", well before sundown.

Sure beats several thousand FRN's for "new" stuff!!

Today's plan...
1)  Keep breaking up the first layer with the cultivator as long as the weather holds.
2)  Begin re-refurbishment on the disk harrow to plow once the top grass is broken up.
3)  Start on goat milking stand...
4)  Get seed packets out & sorted.
5)  Get those seedlings started (probably already pushing late for some crops  :-\)

Man this stuff is fun...can't wait to see what else is buried in this Wyoming sage!!

MANUMIT

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:56:22 AM by Manumit »
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: What the Sage Brush has brought...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »
That's great! I know of an old road grader that might be for sale cheap. No idea what shape it is in, but I think it still runs. The guy who owns it would probably be happy to unload it.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »
Nice Manumit, What are you pulling it with?
I had an uncle who gathered all sorts of "junk" like this for his farm. He was great at fixing things up and saved hundreds of thousands of bucks over his lifetime. He even moved a giant old abandoned house into a new subdivision after he retired from the farm. The neighbors went nuts on him but no law or covenant could stop him from doing it. After a couple of years of fixing it up he had a mansion. He loved to tell the story of going door to door and telling his neighbors that they would have to fix up thier old piles of junk houses or he would go to the authorities about it.  ;D
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
Nice Manumit, What are you pulling it with?...

6-wheeler until the small tractor is ready to go....perhaps we'll be done by then...

I replaced the tongues with the possibility of future use of true HORSE power  ;)

Can you believe with those two great pieces, plus one or two others hay rake & sled, buried back in the sage...there is NOT a single plow on the place?  and the initial break-in/turn-over of the pasture needs a little more aggression, so I am working on plans to make Thomas Jefferson's Mouldboard (Plow) of Least Resistance.

Here's a long write-up about it...
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3983/is_200503/ai_n13461974/?tag=content;col1

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me