Author Topic: Starting year 4 in Wyoming!  (Read 3901 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Starting year 4 in Wyoming!
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »
I can never forget the exact date I moved to Wyoming because it falls on April 1st! A lot of my family and friends thought it was the perfect April Fools joke at the time, but I suspect most of them are now at least resigned to the fact that I'm not ever going to return to California.

Wyoming has been so very good for and to me. I have a real home now, something I never actually had in 59 years. I have real friends and neighbors all around me, FSW and others. I have something real to contribute to my community as well.

Yes indeed, there are challenges. The cold and snow get wearisome and the short days can be discouraging if one gives in to it.

But the blessings far outweigh the challenges. And that anniversary coming during the early spring, with the promise and beauty of the returning grass and leaves on the trees, the ever increasing light and warmth, I'm inspired anew each day.

God bless Wyoming, and all of you as well.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: Starting year 4 in Wyoming!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »
Wyoming is blessed to have you Mama!!

April fools...a great anniversary to have.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Blackwolf

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:46:01 PM »
Happy belated anniversary!   ;D

We're just coming up on our 5th anniversary of moving to SD.  It was on April 15th.  (We left Oregon on the 13th, but it took 2 days to get here.)  I'll never regret the move, not at all!  Even with all the snow!   ;)

Hey, now that the weather's starting to improve (at least I HOPE it's starting to improve), Rich and I will have to plan a trip over to see you.  He has to go to Mississippi first to pick up a new dog, then maybe after that we can come visit for an afternoon.  K?  (I should bring cheese, though, right?  ;) )

~Lannie

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
Go to Mississippi to get a dog? Ok, must be some incredible dog! :)

And you folks just come visit when you get a chance. Let me know so I'll be sure to be home. And cheese is ALWAYS nice. :)   

Offline Blackwolf

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
Well, it's a Great Pyr, and already guarding, and only $50.00 (a friend of mine).  She was going to just GIVE us the dog, but I told her I wanted to pay her something for her, so we settled on $50.00.  If we got a puppy in these parts it would cost at least as much as what it will cost in gas to go get Rose, and we'd have to wait for it to grow up a bit first.  Rose is ready to go.  And we NEED an LDG right now.  My friend was going to give us two, Rose and her sister Rachel, but one of their whacko neighbors (who's distantly related) just killed the girls' mother, so she's without an adult guardian if she lets them both go, so she decided to keep Rachel.  There's actually a very slight possibility that she'll decide to keep them both, but I'm hoping she keeps her word and at least lets us have Rose.  I have to call her again this week and see how that's going...

Sorry, I didn't mean to drift the thread like that, but once I start talking, it's hard to get me to stop!  LOL!   ::)

~Lannie

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:29:11 PM »
Guess it's my thread, so we can wander as much as we like!  >:D

Awful sorry to hear about the crazy neighbor who killed the mother. How in the world did he do that to a trained guard dog?

A Great Pyr? Good heavens, they are humongous and eat like an army! My aunt Kay had one when I was a kid. My little sister rode the darn thing sometimes (when nobody was looking). As I remember, he was totally useless as a watch dog, but I'm sure nobody would have tried to harm us while he was with us. Just too big!

Hope you can get Rose. Send pictures when you do, please? :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »
Awful sorry to hear about the crazy neighbor who killed the mother. How in the world did he do that to a trained guard dog?

They baited her across the road (we don't know how) and then hit her with their car.  Then drug her back across the street and left her in my friend's front yard.  Nice people, huh?

A Great Pyr? Good heavens, they are humongous and eat like an army! My aunt Kay had one when I was a kid. My little sister rode the darn thing sometimes (when nobody was looking). As I remember, he was totally useless as a watch dog, but I'm sure nobody would have tried to harm us while he was with us. Just too big!

Actually, she's not for guarding against people.  We're getting Rose to guard against foxes and coyotes.  They've found out we have a buffet over here, and they've invited all their friends.  Rich and I spent hours each day last summer, armed, looking for them.  Totally a waste of time, because they can see, hear, and smell better than us, and they evaded us easily.  But they still took my poultry.  Sometimes right where I had been only minutes before.  Snatched mothers right off their babies.  The dog can move a lot faster than I can, and bark louder.   ;)  I'm still trying to find another one, because they work so much better in pairs.  The way these two work together is one will chase or hold the predator at bay, while the other one runs to get the people with the guns.  We only have 15 acres, so unless I've got the stereo blasting, I should be able to hear Rose barking and head out to see what's going on, so I think she'll be OK by herself... but I'd really like two.

She should top out at 85 or 90 pounds, and I've a lot of dogs bigger than that (my last Dobie weighed 120 and wasn't fat), so the size won't faze me.  The hair might.  But she'll live outside with her animals, so at least I won't be choking up hairballs in the middle of the night.   :P

Hope you can get Rose. Send pictures when you do, please? :)

I already have one!  This is both sisters, about 5 months ago, so they're a bit bigger now.  They just turned a year old.  Rose is on the left:

~Lannie

Offline Rich

• Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »
Congratulations momma, it has been alot of fun with you dear

Rich
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »
Thanks, everyone. It's great to be here. And it's wonderful to see the spring really coming at last! :)

We'll have to get together soon, Blackwolf. Can't wait to see you and your critters. :)

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:03:15 AM »

G'mornin mama..........I'll treat ya to spaghetti Tues. eve. for your 4th birthday. What'd'ya say??
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »

G'mornin mama..........I'll treat ya to spaghetti Tues. eve. for your 4th birthday. What'd'ya say??

Great! That sounds like fun. :)

Offline Sharon Claire

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »
Your post is heartwarming.  What part of California did you leave... and where in Wyoming did you move to? 

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
Welcome Sharon! Sure would be nice to have you folks for neighbors. Please do plan to visit me and Newcastle when you come.

I was born and raised in Southern California, mostly in the desert around Barstow and Victorville.

A blog was started some time ago and has a lot of information about my life and move here: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswblogs/mamaliberty/ I'm ashamed to note that it's been almost a year since I added anything to it, and I promise to amend that as soon as I can.

Please feel free to ask questions!