Author Topic: Young Homeschooling Family From New England  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Nathan.Hale

Young Homeschooling Family From New England
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:31:29 PM »
Hi everyone  :),

I'm a newbie here on your forum. I like the friendly and helpful posts from the FSW folks.

My wife and I are currently in New England but have reservations about permanently moving to New Hampshire due to existing laws, invasions of big-government Massachusetts folks, and the coming political and civil unrest in the next year. We also homeschool our little ones.

In researching the Free West Alliance, it appears that Wyoming has the most momentum in a freedom movement. We would definitely like to learn more and come visit your beautiful State.

I would probably be a fish out of water there. I'm a New England city boy and my wife is a New England town gal. We have lots to learn about less populated areas and how to best fit in. But seeking freedom for political and personal reasons is very important to us and would be worth the discomfort.

As far as homeschooling it is very important that we move to a State that does not legally force testing, monitoring and evaluation of our children by government employees and social workers.  Our children are already advanced compared to their peers but we desire total parental freedom to instill our values, beliefs and goals in education and moral upbringing.

Our goal at this time is to move out to a free State sometime in the next 7-12 months and purchase a large enough home (with plenty of closet space). We are aware that the national economy is on the edge of collapse and we are playing everything by ear.

I'm an office professional by trade and assist folks with financial matters. I own my own business and will attempt to start a new business in the State we move to. I also dabble in the literary industry. I have previously worked in political office, researched policy, given speeches, written articles and have even preached in Christian Churches. My wife is a happy homemaker, an avid reader, a gardener-in-training and an aspiring author and speaker.

I would be happy to consider any options or suggestions as to when we could visit with a young family, where we could stay/camp and why Wyoming would be a welcome new home for us.

All the best,
Nathan.Hale (FYI, I picked this pseudonym after the famous Revolutionary patriot  ;D)
"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Re: Young Homeschooling Family From New England
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:23:48 AM »
NH,

Welcome aboard.  I think you will find what you seek within reason in Wyoming.  Others will be along before too long that can give more info......

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
Welcome! The best advice I can give is to urge you to read as much as you can here and then ask questions if you don't see what you need.

Then, if you like what you see, plan to come visit. We will be gathering for our annual campout the third weekend of June, so that's a great opportunity to meet quite a few FSW folks and get a good idea what we're all about.

Quite a few of the folks homeschool their children, so hopefully one of them will post their experience. You might want to ask that question in the Homeschooling area of the forum.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »

I believe you will find that Wyoming is in the balance as free or free-er than most other areas in the country. Of course we too have some aggravating statist types including bureaucrats, but fewer per sq. inch than other places. Theres always some flies in the ointment wherever you may go. Come visit us, mingle this summer with our get together and look our beautiful state over.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
Howdy Nathan.hale, lots of info here so dig in , some of your questions may have already been discussed. Be sure to have your wife join in too.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Nathan.Hale

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the kind welcome. I will make sure to invite my wife to join the forum and have her also actively search previous questions and answers.

We are pretty open about why we are moving to a freer State. We also try to make it clear that we are respectful neighbors who seek to be involved in already existing communities and not anti-social yuppies from back East. (Although I do have a fixation with Dunkin Donuts and apparently there is a franchise opportunity in the Casper area per dunkindonuts.com.  ;D )

For the camp event in June, is that something I could rent an RV for? Or is it pitching tents, making fire pits and and roughing it? Remember, this is a city boy talking. My wife has hiked for days at a time and thinks I have a lot to learn. lol

I noticed that Boston T. Party is choosing three counties to focus on. Is there any talk or forum topic on concentrating folks in an existing town or starting a free town from scratch?

Thanks in advance for your greetings and kind words. I will continue to actively search the forum as well.

:)
"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time." Thomas Jefferson

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
Nathan,
You can certainly bring an RV. Many people do. Big rigs, 5th wheelers, campers, tents, etc. I usually pitch my little tent for storage and sleep in my van on an air mattress. This year's location is accessible to all of the above.

re: concentrating people: no, no discussion of that. We're like cats, hard to herd them all into one place!

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>