Author Topic: New member. Introduction post.  (Read 6245 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
New member. Introduction post.
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:57:46 PM »
Hello,

First off let me say that I am delighted to be here.  Thanks for letting me in.

A little about myself.

Currently I am employed on a small south pacific island.  I run a research facility for a consortium of universities.  Yes I am telling the truth and please don't hold it against me.  I'm not a troll coming to spy on y'all, nor am I a believer in the direction of this nation since 1913.  For the most part I am just a high end janitor. 

I became aware of FSW when my brother gave me an autographed copy of Molon Labe.  Loved the book.  I've been trying to register here for some time but the admins have all pacific IP's banned so I had to get creative with proxy's.

I come from a farming and ranching background.  Ozarks in Missouri and southern AZ down near Nogales.  Moved into electronics in the military, then into the internet biz, and most recently into facilities management of high end facilities.

Right now the wife and I are seriously thinking about relocating to Wy.  Browsing real estated sites and working through the details.  We are close to retirement age, and are seeking a small acreage site with running water to build a peaceful place on.  Preferably a place close to the mountains.  Give me something to rest my eyeballs on.

Watch your topknot.

Sincerely

LIS

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
Re: New member. Introduction post.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Hey, Samoa, welcome to the board.  What kind of research is going on down there? 

What part of "near Nogales" were you in?  If it was out toward Patagonia and Sonoita, I was just down in your old stompin grounds a few weeks ago.  You know its a regular Napa Valley down there now?

Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:03:12 AM »
Welcome, Samoa! Just let me know how I can help you, and please visit when you can. Will you be able to come to the campout in June?

Not much "running water" here in Wyoming, at least not after the spring thaw... but I'm sure you'll find a place to settle here if you want one. Can't wait to meet you both. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »
Welcome, Samoa! Just let me know how I can help you, and please visit when you can. Will you be able to come to the campout in June?

Not much "running water" here in Wyoming, at least not after the spring thaw... but I'm sure you'll find a place to settle here if you want one. Can't wait to meet you both. :)

Thank you very much for the welcome.

Unfortunately it costs several thousands of dollars to fly from Samoa to the Mainland.  I would not be able to get there in June.  My consortium does fly me back to "the world" in the middle of May every year.  So if there is a good chance that I will be scrounging around in that time frame next year.

Once again  thank you.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »
Hey, Samoa, welcome to the board.  What kind of research is going on down there? 

What part of "near Nogales" were you in?  If it was out toward Patagonia and Sonoita, I was just down in your old stompin grounds a few weeks ago.  You know its a regular Napa Valley down there now?

I did not know that.  I've been to the Napa Valley.  Used to go to school in Vallejo back in the 80's.  Before it became a dump. 

I used to live all over down in southern Az.  Bisbee, Elfrida, Sierra Vista, Tombstone.  I remember going to El Dorado days in Tombstone.  As a kid we used to jump the adobe fence between the municipal park and the OK corral gunfight mock up.

I've been away for 25+ years now.  I hear that southern Az is all grown up and full of McMansions and strip malls.  Correction .... forclosed McMansions and empty strip malls from what my brother tells me.

As I said I am in effect a high end janitor.  I operate and repair a large number of mass spec's and chromatographs and the facilities that support them for a grouping of universities.  They study the interaction between large air masses and the ocean.  I only do data and sample collections.  I kinda fell into the job because I have alot of shipboard electronics experience.  That and I prefer to live way ... way .... WAY out in the boonies.

Thank you for your welcome

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »
Howdy lost in samoa, and welcome here. A good place to look for land on line is at www.wyodex.com , search under realty.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
Howdy lost in samoa, and welcome here. A good place to look for land on line is at www.wyodex.com , search under realty.

Thank ya kindly

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »

I did not know that.  I've been to the Napa Valley.  Used to go to school in Vallejo back in the 80's.  Before it became a dump. 

I used to live all over down in southern Az.  Bisbee, Elfrida, Sierra Vista, Tombstone.  I remember going to El Dorado days in Tombstone.  As a kid we used to jump the adobe fence between the municipal park and the OK corral gunfight mock up.

I've been away for 25+ years now.  I hear that southern Az is all grown up and full of McMansions and strip malls.  Correction .... forclosed McMansions and empty strip malls from what my brother tells me.

As I said I am in effect a high end janitor.  I operate and repair a large number of mass spec's and chromatographs and the facilities that support them for a grouping of universities.  They study the interaction between large air masses and the ocean.  I only do data and sample collections.  I kinda fell into the job because I have alot of shipboard electronics experience.  That and I prefer to live way ... way .... WAY out in the boonies.

Thank you for your welcome

Well, I exaggerate in comparing it to Napa Valley.  There's, I think, 13 producing wineries now, and a few more getting started.  You go down to Sonoita now and everybody's hawking the wine tour maps, and there's a precious little bakery where you can buy organic bran muffins and vegan cheese danishes.  The wine is pretty good, though, and its still a nice area for a day trip from Tucson.

Not so much with the strip malls, except Sierra Vista, that place is pure Cali suburbia.  Lots of new cookie-cutter developments up here, though the new construction has stopped cold.  Tucson is still growing very fast, so theres a housing glut, but doesn't seem as bad as it seems to be elsewhere. The main construction boom here is in red-light and speed cameras.  There are new ones popping up every day, it seems.
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »

Well, I exaggerate in comparing it to Napa Valley.  There's, I think, 13 producing wineries now, and a few more getting started.  You go down to Sonoita now and everybody's hawking the wine tour maps, and there's a precious little bakery where you can buy organic bran muffins and vegan cheese danishes.  The wine is pretty good, though, and its still a nice area for a day trip from Tucson.

Not so much with the strip malls, except Sierra Vista, that place is pure Cali suburbia.  Lots of new cookie-cutter developments up here, though the new construction has stopped cold.  Tucson is still growing very fast, so theres a housing glut, but doesn't seem as bad as it seems to be elsewhere. The main construction boom here is in red-light and speed cameras.  There are new ones popping up every day, it seems.

I really need to get back down in there and see what the place is like.  Last time I was there "Miracle Mile" next to Nicksville was all the rage.

It's been a while.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
Ufa, Kefe!

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »
Ufa, Kefe!

Do you know what your saying to me?

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »
U**, K***!

Do you know what your saying to me?

OK, I had to google this, since you didn't say.  I couldn't find an exact definition, but I got the gist of it. Rest assured, that is not how newcomers are usually greeted here.  :D
Carpe Libertas!

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Reader
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »
OK, I had to google this, since you didn't say.  I couldn't find an exact definition, but I got the gist of it. Rest assured, that is not how newcomers are usually greeted here.  :D

Thank you kylben for your kind words.  I appreciate it, I really do.

Ya know ..... I would rather not be banned from this forum for engaging in a pissing contest with
a founding member. 

I've got shit that I need to accomplish in a short time frame.  This forum can
help me with that.  Hell .... it already has.

On the other hand I believe that a man should be held accountable for his actions.

To that end I want to give biathalon a day in court.

Hey Fuzznuts.......

You got a problem with me? 

Or do you normally talk out of your a$$?

Offline Shawn

• FSW Rifleman
  • Right and easy seldom meet.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »
Uh, yeah, hey B. do you know what this means?  I looked it up on a translation site, and it's not very nice.  I have to assume at this point that you've heard Somoans say it to each other the same way that blacks call each other nigger.
Our heritage in a nutshell: "This country was founded by religious nuts with guns"  P. J. O'Rourke...Isn't it time?

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 05:43:36 AM »
I don't know what that means and don't want to... but I'm astonished and horrified that any of us would insult anyone like this, even unintentionally! Come on, biathlon, what gives? This just isn't YOU.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.