Author Topic: Introducing myself and family  (Read 6628 times)

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
Re: Introducing myself and family
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 07:55:52 AM »
Dear MWD
We moved from California to Park City, Utah to be near and help out with my grandchildren....
I love entertaining and will have big parties for all of you if/when we move there.
See you all at the Jamboree next month.
springtime06

We won't be at the Jamboree, we'll be back here tying up lose ends to move. Will be there before, and will be moving not too long after. But unfortunately it ain't in the cards to make it this year.

Park City is nice (when it's not overrun in the winter with liberal Hollywood. I've been there then, and in the summer, and like it better in the summer.)

My in-laws summer near Park City, which is one more reason for us to live in Wyoming, we can see them more often. (My in-laws are not the stereotype, they're people I actually adore hanging out with!)

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline judithevans

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Hubby and i are interested in networking.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 08:35:04 AM »
Welcome everybody!!  This is sewingdove in Riverton, central part of the state.  Living in Wy is like what living in Co was when i grew up there.  slow paced, rural as you want, 4-H, fairs, neighbors, outdoors activity.  Now i hate hitting that Co line when traveling, so tense and busy.  My words of advice are about worrying about insurance.  I had a heart attack in 99 and DH was injured on the job, oh gee, suddenly no income, no power, no insurance.  Best thing that ever happened to us.  Because we had to, we learned to do without it all, have continued to learn about herbs and alternative medicine, we have insurance now but seldom ever use it.  Just take care of ourselves.  I did plan and do any needed surgeries, glasses, dental work etc. this year because we plan on me retiring ASAP.  AM looking forward to not jumping through their hoops again,  What i keep seeing in my head is the dust bowl days when people didn't move until they had to, then had no resources to do so.  Many places you will never sell a house, and will eventually lose it anyway.  ANd by then will not be able to relocate.  Abandon the impossible to reach for the dream.  And our pioneet ancestors piled it all in a wagon and headed west.  They had to have resources for 6 months of living needs but off they went.  No doctors, and they thought spiritual support was more important.  Be realistic, things are going to get much worse, circumstances are only going to deteriorate, go while it is still possible. But focus on what your spiritual direction points you to.  That is most important.  God bless and speed you.

Offline Lynda

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 08:42:25 AM »

I am even considering Nevada ...

CA "East", huh?  LOL!  :)

Actually, we live in NV about 10 miles southeast of Lake Tahoe. It's very nice here, but we're planning on moving to WY for several reasons - to be closer to family, to live near other like minded folks, and to live in a place that is not as far down the road to complete nanny-statism than others.

We're working on selling our home so we can get to WY. If you seriously looking at NV, PM me for details.

Lynda

A nation of sheep shall be ruled by pigs!  
~~
An armed society is a polite society!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »
Well, I grew up in Calif. in the 50s and 60s. It has certainly changed
from that time, but it's been only more corrupt and unfree since then. I
can't help but wish I'd never seen the place. sigh... And I don't give
California any credit for my children or much of anything else. My life
happened in spite of California, not really because of it. But maybe I'm
different. I know now that I never really belonged there in the first
place. It was never my "home." I came HOME - for the first time in my
life - when I came to Wyoming. Amazing.

I can never adequately articulate what I felt when I crossed from Utah
to Wyoming that fateful day of my move. We stopped just across the border in a
little town to get gas and I got out of the truck to walk around. It was
dry, rocky, bleak and treeless there. I walked to the edge of a bluff
and took a deep breath. Suddenly I felt as if arms had come around me,
giving me a warm and loving hug of welcome. It hit me hard at that
moment - that I finally had a real HOME, for the first time in my life
(though I had no idea where I would live, if I would find work, or much
of anything else). I was free, at peace and much loved! And this was
well before I found the healing for my physical/medical problems!!! It
was, of course, the beginning of that process. Can't wait to share that
story with you!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
Howdy jpheonix  ,Anybody from TMM will fit right in with this bunch ! Glad you introduced yourself here.
Have you looked for jobs in Wyoming that might be a good fit for your husband? Might even find something with less hours and more pay ? This might add a little spark of incentive to look a little closer at your idea of moving. Keep the faith and do not be shy, we have a pretty good bunch of folks here, lots of good help.

" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »
Homeschoolers and prospective homeschoolers should examine the possibility of not registering with the so-called authorities. It is none of their business. Few if any "non-compliant" homeschoolers regret being so, and many "compliant" ones wish they had not registered!
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline springtime10

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
To Judith:
I want to discuss herbs and alternative therapies with you. It's something I believe in too. (I'm grateful for the hip replacement I just received last July however, a life shanging surgery) Maybe I would not have needed it if I"d followed the "arthritis diet".
springtime06

Offline jpheonix

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes, sorry to say the cast iron skillet disappeared a few moves ago, but I have my grandmother's rolling pin.  ;D
Riverton does actually have a RentACenter, but I'm hoping Jared will think about turning some of his "hobbies" into income too. Sales positions are widely varied, and although he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, he's not made for industrial work.

I have no intentions of registering my daughter, but someone needs to keep their mouth shut.  ::) We live on the line between a nice small town and the run down end of a small city there are too many people who can't MYOOB. This includes my relatives.

I'm honestly in the process of selling everything I have that's unneeded and worth a frn, but boy do I have a lot of junk to go through.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
I was looking at local laws in Rawins, WY, and kinda balked when I realized we're supposed to register our cats if we live there, even if they stay inside. (Good luck getting them to wear collars and keep them on!). I mentioned it to my wife and she said, "We're supposed to register them here, too.

I had no idea! I've been carrying unregistered concealed cats for years!

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline springtime10

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »
Hey Phoenix,
It's not just people talking, it's all the unauthorized snitches in our society now. My friend who homeschools took her son to the emergency room with an ear ache and the doctor started grilling him: why wasn't he in school, what school did he go to, etc etc. He said he's homeschooled and the Dr. said "Is your mom a certified teacher?" (you dont have to be, to homeschool) the dr finally shut up when my friend told him to but she left the hospital feeling she would n't go there again and would deal with medical emergencies herself.
Sigh, it's all around us.
This took place in California but it happened to a friend of mine here in Utah too.....
Springtime06i
We have a ton of stuff for sale too but so far no takers, thought the things would go fast, esp leftover building materials because of the recession, what a disappointment.

Offline Future/Now

• Social Type
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
I do miss getting together with liberty minded people at least once a week, there are actually a lot of them in San Diego and Las Vegas but almost none in the Salt Lake city area.

springtime06, regarding the bolded part.....I currently live in SD and would like to know who you're referring to. Do you mean individuals or groups? Might be a while before I can visit WY and it'd be great to do some local networking with like-minded people. I've found it tough to find any significant number of folks with that general mindset (and are serious about it) around here - then again, maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. If you have any leads, I'd appreciate them. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!
Hey! Y'all got curb service?

Offline Lynda

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
Another thing you should look into jpheonix is the HSLDA;  http://www.hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1. This is the Home School Legal Defense Association. One they have a wealth of information on their website. Next they protect us Homeschoolers from busy bodies that want to stick their nose in our business and throw their weight around, including Government agencies that think they know how to raise our children better than we, the parents, do!!  >:(

The annual fees you pay them would come in handy if you did have a legal issue regarding homeschooling. They will back you 100%. It is basically home school insurance.

As much as I agree with Paul B. the reality is what Springtime06 mentioned. There are those nosy jerks that cause problems. Which again where the HSLDA can come in handy!!  ;)
A nation of sheep shall be ruled by pigs!  
~~
An armed society is a polite society!

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 07:38:10 PM »
Some people consider HSLDA to be the NRA of homeschooling.  :)

There comes a time (usually when one gets older, I think) when a person has to stop worrying about rules and regulations and snitches and what-not, and start living free. Conversely, lack of freedom happens more because of what's in a person's own brain than anything else. All governments depend on willing or grudging compliance from the peons; they simply don't have the time or manpower to force compliance on everyone. Therefore, the very least one can do for freedom is withhold compliance until actually forced.

Of course, it depends on the actual subject we are talking about. Some actions are more risky than others. Inform yourself before attempting this...
Laws turn men into slaves.