Author Topic: Introducing myself and family  (Read 6631 times)

Offline jpheonix

Introducing myself and family
« on: May 30, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Jaclyn a 26yr homeschooling mom trapped in NE Ohio. I'm an everyday lurker and infrequent poster (I'm really shy) at TMM since 2003.
I have 2 kids, a girl age 4 and a boy age 2. I really want to leave Ohio before my daughter turns five and I have to jump through all the paperwork hoops to homeschool. I'm really looking for a good caretaker situation where I could upkeep someone's property in return for a home and garden plot. I've tried a few ways to work from home but none have worked out between the kids and my fibromyalgia, Anything I do I really need the kids involved. I can garden organically, bake some things for people with allergies, including really good cookies, and make a pancakes out of anything. I have good research skills but don't type very fast.

My husband of 8 years and I are not always on the same page, and although I'm working hard to convince him of the need to move out of ohio, he's actually the one bound up with financial security and keeping his job. I find this a little funny because he's also not very good with money and believes he deserves his instant gratification in return for working 60+ a week. He works for Rent A Center as a credit manager, and he's pretty good at both that and the sales. He's a solid worker who's just stressed out from feeling like he should be farther in his life and occasionally forgets that even though I'm unpaid, I'm the one with the 24/7 365 no sick time job :) He's also an artist but never tried to make money at it. He used to want to be an architect, but never had the school money.

My daughter is very friendly and social but also easily hurt and quick to cry. She has a huge interest in reptiles, and wants a pet lizard and a snake. She's a totally I love pink and dresses girl. I'm having a little trouble getting her focused on learning her letter sounds (Montessori style sounds first then names after they can read). I don't want to push her and make her dislike reading, but she has a gift for language and speaks some spanish and chinese along with signing to her brother.

My son is very attached to me, still wants to nurse, still wakes up once a night and makes me spend the second half of the night with him. He's pretty smart and right in the language explosion stage. Talks about cars morning noon and night.

Offline socalserf

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman RWVA Instructor
Re: Introducing myself and family
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
Hello Jpheonix,
Welcome to the Free State Wyoming forum.
Please don't be shy, the folks here are warm and kind hearted.
Welcome!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »
Welcome!

Please don't be shy about posting and getting to know us. It's a shame that your husband isn't ready to make a move, but there are probably lots of things you can do to help him understand. Does he have any idea of the precarious nature of the economy now? Does he realize that his job could easily vanish tomorrow?

Sounds like you both have lots of talent and potential - just need to get him on board with being free, seems like.

Let us know how we can help!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline jpheonix

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
Well the real problem with moving is money. Both of us have bad credit, and no money to fix it. He's the sole income earner and even though I've written out budgets on paper that have us putting away money each month, somehow it all disappears and I have to fight for 100 in grocery money each week. I used to work before we had kids, but now I wouldn't even if I could because I would be working just to cover his nickel and diming us to death. The rent and bills get paid, and he works really hard, but I'm fighting to find where the money is going. How far will 2000 a month get a family of four in WY?

I'm afraid I've put myself in a bind the past few years, I can't not make things work out between us because I absolutely have no other support for homeschooling the kids. My mother has actually even said she won't watch them during hours they could be in school. I don't even drive because of my fibromyalgia.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
The cost of living is less here than a lot of other places, largely because there are fewer and lower taxes. Wages right now are still good, but that could change fast. Seems like the most important thing for you right now is to figure out how to plug the leaks in your budget.

Do you have a nice, heavy frying pan?  >:D

Offline wayneborngesser

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
Do you have a nice, heavy frying pan?

Ahem, is that not in violation of the almighty "ZAP"? ;D :-\
“Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society”<br />Aristotle

Offline Lynda

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
Hi Jaclyn,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not here very often, because I too have a 4 and 2 year old. The opposite of you; my boy is 4 my girl is 2. I too am going to homeschool, actually already started "Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lesson" (highly recommend) to my 4 yr old, he likes it. I'm sorry to hear that you do not have any support, with homeschooling or moving. As for as homeschooling, try and find a local homeschool co-op in your area. I found one at a local church, it meets just once a week. My son loves it.

As far as the budget I highly recommend, without reservation; "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. http://www.daveramsey.com/   This changed our lives and would never want to go back. It does take some work but is more than worth it. Before we found his book, I would be in tears at least a couple times a week from the overwhelming amount of medical bills, well and just everyday bills.

We were planning on moving this summer to WY ourselves, for a couple of reasons it isn't looking too likely right now. The housing market is horrible for trying to sell a house in our area as there are TONS of foreclosures in our neck of the woods, and it doesn't look like we can sell our house for enough to be able to even afford to move. The other is the work situation. My husband's job is very secure; since he's the sole breadwinner & we have to rely on employer provided medical insurance in our current position, we're a bit nervous about the possibility of his having to change jobs to something that is less secure. I have no doubt my husband could find work, but who's to say that as a new employee somewhere, he'll be more likely to get laid off if the job he finds ends up needing to trim staff.

Feel free to PM (private message) me if you would like. Good luck with everything. We'll keep you in our prayers.
A nation of sheep shall be ruled by pigs!  
~~
An armed society is a polite society!

Offline springtime10

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:04:59 PM »
Hey Homeschooling moms: Don't be in such a rush to teach your children reading and other "formal" things 2 is still a baby and 4 is very very young too. I've just finished a 30 year teaching career in the public schools and applaud any mom (or dad) who homeschools. Your children will profit so much you can hardly believe it. All the homeschool children I've met have done very very well in college, jobs and life in general because they are responsible and independent.
You are  going to have to get control of your budget whether you move or not or you will destroy your peace and happiness.
Good luck!
Lynn (springtime 06)

z169135

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:37:54 PM »

Dear Homeschooling Moms,

I'm now reading John Taylor Gatto's new book, Weapons of Mass Instruction, and I too am going to homeschool once my starts gets older (he's 1 now). My wife and I feel that getting to Wyoming as soon as possible is soooo important due to the heightened precariousness out there, both of you sound really intelligent and caring so I'm sure you can land on your feet when get to Wyoming.

Best of Luck and God Bless,
Izzy

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 05:49:01 AM »
My wife was resistant at first. Now she's as hot to move as I am. I didn't nag, just gently fell in love with the idea of moving to Wyoming, and she caught the spark from me.

She quit a wonderful job of 15 years yesterday. It's a big step. We're visiting Wyoming next week, and moving in July or August (as soon as we can find a place we like.)

Basically the conclusion we came to is "You can't cross a chasm in two small steps." If we waited to do the move really comfortably, we'd never do it.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »
Do you have a nice, heavy frying pan?

Ahem, is that not in violation of the almighty "ZAP"? ;D :-\

Hmmm, did I say anything about actually hitting anybody with it?   :o  I carry a gun all the time and that's not aggression. It's just handy in case there's a real need.

Guess I meant mostly that you need to be truly SERIOUS about getting control of your budget. :) It might be the difference between life and death - and that time may be coming all too soon.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 06:10:26 AM »
regarding security: Friday was DJ's last day. Our health and life insurance ran out on Friday at midnight. (We turned into uninsured pumpkins!)

We're totally fine with that. Thought it would be scary, but instead of being nervous about visiting/moving, we're both having euphoric butterflies in the stomach. It's a giddy good feeling.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 06:36:49 AM »
California did well by me and Debra Jean for decades.  We both grew and prospered here in a lot of ways. And we met each other here, which was the best thing that every happened to either of us.

But California has outlived its usefulness. It's changed, and we've changed, in different directions.

I sound like I'm writing a "dear john" letter to a state! I like that!

I remember hearing this thing that drug addicts in recovery do, people sometimes write a "dear john" letter to their drug.

I was addicted to California for a long time. Couldn't ever picture being anywhere else. But now I can't picture being here much longer. I'm not going nuts over it, I'm comfortable (as long as I don't go outside among the people much!), but the fact that we're moving makes it tollerable.

I guess I have been "saying goodbye" to it for a while, since even before we decided for sure to move by this fall.

Today when I walked to the post office, I sort of talked to the field and the trees and the hills in my mind and said goodbye. Sort of told nature around here "I'll miss you. You'd be a great place to live if it weren't for all this Californians!"

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »
jpheonix -

I guess what I'm trying to say is I totally understand the feeling of insurmountably of leaving the familiar. It's emotional, and it's difficult sometimes.

But want to give you my "experience, strength and hope" that it can be surmounted.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline springtime10

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:30:32 AM »
Dear MWD
We moved from California to Park City, Utah to be near and help out with my grandchildren. It's been wonderful but I miss the California warm weather. I'm getting old and creaky in the joints and warm, and hot weather, feels wonderful to me. But we have our house up for sale and we'll see.
I'm not sure anywhere is going to be "free" when Obama and the other republicrats get through with us, but it would be nice ot have gun toting neighbors and friends nearby.
I don't believe Wyoming will ever be crowded or have high housing prices or people fighting over jobs: it's just too cold, look at the demographics of the U.S.: people are wimps and want warm weather and except for the N.Y. area the big movements are all South. I am even considering Nevada and I love freedom and have been a freedom fighter for a generation, since I joined the Libertarian Party in 1987.
My mate hates hot weather so Wyoming is his 2nd choice (his first choice is to move back to San Diego! There's a job there for him) I hate California government so Wyoming is my 2nd choice. I also like the Las Vegas area because it's midway between grandchildren on an easy road. Getting anywhere from Cody (probably my chosen town) is very difficult driving wise.
Anyway as someone said on here it's all priorities. I do miss getting together with liberty minded people at least once a week, there are actually a lot of them in San Diego and Las Vegas but almost none in the Salt Lake city area.
I love entertaining and will have big parties for all of you if/when we move there.
See you all at the Jamboree next month.
springtime06