Author Topic: Hello All!  (Read 3948 times)

Offline ac

Hello All!
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
Hello All!,
My name is Ash Cook. I have been sobered and inspired over the past year of researching the sad state of our nation and the world. Recently read a couple of Boston's works and they really put it all together, stoked the coals of discontent into the fire of action, as it were. Thanks Mr Royce. (I sent you a note, request for your consult services, accompanied by a copy of amazon review. Hope to hear from you.)

Wyoming looks and sounds like a darn good place to make a stand.  I am looking to become a resident. Coming out next week (March 1-5), Mon-Fri to look around. Looking for a piece of Black Hills Land (that's my focus so far). Solo or with partners (Freestaters). Would also like to shoot some during the visit. I will probably crash at a local lodge or motel if you have any recommendations. Email me or call any time.

Brief background:  My professional background includes Naval Specwar (Operator), Naval Aviation (Helo Pilot), Surgical & Emergency Medicine Provider (P.A.).
I haven't really shot seriously in almost 20 years and after having read Fred and Boston, I don't know if I ever really learned properly! I'm going to start over and see how it goes...fully expect to be an embarrassment to Specwar when I do my first Appleseed in April, we'll see!
I dig family time, working out, running, writing, working with my hands, new challenges and trying to live a life of purpose. Haven't been maintaining on any of those fronts and am making a change now!
For "what" we endeavor matters little if "why" we endeavor is misguided or grounded only in temporal motivations.
Thanks to the FSW folks for believing and being willing to do something about it!
Thanks for the welcome.

--Ash

Call or email any time. Will answer as soon as I can, (pretty busy these days). 
ashcooknc@gmail.com
(Will provide ph# via email)

peace...(but not at the cost of liberty)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Hello All!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
AWESOME!!! Welcome, and I hope you will come to visit me when you are here. I can probably gather at least some of the Weston and Crook county clan - those who are not snowed in, of course.

I'm looking out the window at the magnificent Black Hills right this moment. :) PM for directions to Mama's house in Newcastle! :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »
Didja fly the Sea Stallion? The 53 was the only chopper I cared for. Do you ski?

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
Ash,
Welcome to the forum. I sent you a PM.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Freedog

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:15 PM »
Ash, welcome to the Forum.  You have an interesting background.  I look forward to joining you as a newbie in Wyoming in the not too distant future.
Live and let live!

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
Howdy Ash ! Glad you found us. Be sure to let us know how your Wyoming trip goes .
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Tx2Wy

• Social Type
  • Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
Ash, Welcome to FSW. My wife and I are moving to Clark, Wyoming end of may. If you come to the Cody/Powell in Park county look us up.

Bill

Offline Tx2Wy

• Social Type
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
Didja fly the Sea Stallion? The 53 was the only chopper I cared for.

Hey biathlon,
Coming back into transition on the 53 with that massive hub and blades, were you in control or was the 53 in control?  ;D

I flew choppers and the only one I will not fly is the CH47. 15 feet of overlap and 1 timing gear is not my idea of rotary wings.

Bill

Offline biathlon

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
"Control"? They had to come in to dust me off! ;D I was so sea sick I had to crawl to the chopper with help. I and some other guys paddled from probably 15,20 miles offshore and I had honestly asked to die before we got to shore. I did get to see some orcas. ;D

Offline ac

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »
Hello All, Thanks for the welcome,

Biathlon,
I flew CH46s, (Sea Knight)...vert rep, SAR, light insertions. Loads of fun but what a leaky bucket of bolts...they tended to drop out of the sky from time to time.

re skiing:
Raced as a kid, in the Stenmarc and Mahr (sp?) days, out of Squaw Valley, CA (Tahoe). Actually was good enough to at least race in the same races with those guys...seeded way, way, way back (I wasn't that good).
Did a little cross country, no racing, would love to do more...like a hut hopping trip for several days!

I'm leaving this a.m. headed your way. Meeting my Dad in Denver and driving up. Looking to meet FSW folks and scout land to buy.

Have a great day  :)

--Ash

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:58:16 AM »
Good luck on the scouting mission.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 06:51:51 PM »
If you stop in Cheyenne, we can have lunch or something. Ill Pm my phone number.

Offline Tx2Wy

• Social Type
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:10 AM »
Hello All, Thanks for the welcome,

Biathlon,
I flew CH46s, (Sea Knight)...vert rep, SAR, light insertions. Loads of fun but what a leaky bucket of bolts...they tended to drop out of the sky from time to time.

Hello Ash,
You have my respect...... But the cool thing about CH46/47's is you can easily fly sideways lower the ramp on the deck of the carrier and go get a glass of water when the traffic pattern is full. I still do not like rotor overlap. Gives me the creeps. :)

Bill

Offline msschill

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
AC, How was your trip? My family and I are hoping to drive out in May and the in June for the camp out. Would like to know your experiences?  Hope all went well.