Author Topic: Hello and Feeling a bit like Richard Dreyfuss, lately. . .  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
Re: Hello and Feeling a bit like Richard Dreyfuss, lately. . .
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

1) Don't think about the complexities of your family situation (For now).

Terence, I'm not trying argue so I wanted to clarify. Are you saying I shouldn't take into account trying to provide for a wife and 3 kids when I'm looking at moving to WY? Here I was stressing about finding a job of some sort so I could afford to feed them...
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »

Stratispho, I think you, Matt and myself take our families into account in everything
we do. I certainly read that into your posts although didn't know you had 3 kids until now.
Any solution that wasn't sustainable wouldn't be fair to them, of course. And, my idea is
not to just live, but, to thrive and for my family to thrive, not that I know exactly how to pull that off, right now.

When I was trying to figure how the heck I could get to the June Expo, 16 days ago, I had
to reverse my thinking to "What if it wasn't impossible?" Asking myself that
question temporarily removed the complexity of my family situation as a block to
coming up little steps that were possible. We have a lady that takes care of
my mother on Sundays that we've known for three years. When my wife realized
how important it was to me she agreed to come home early from work for a few days
to cover. We also negotiated a rate with my mom's caregiver to fill in a few cracks
during my 4-day absence.

As I said, I don't know how all of this is going to work, yet, but maybe its just
a series of these small little miracles, above, strung together.

I also have BraveHeart playing in my head asking, "What will you do without
freedom?", except its my responsibility to answer that question for my family. And,
in a way, I feel I forfeit the right to bitch, later, if I'm not at least trying to do everything
I can, now. For me, there's also an element of making up for lost time. As in my first post, below,
I thought the locational aspects of freedom were solved, a while ago, and was wrong about that.

That's my story, anyway. . .

Terence

Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
You're right.  Sometimes (a lot of the time) adults don't find answers because they think things are impossible.

I've heard of individuals and companies going to a classroom full of little kids to ask them how to fix an "impossible" problem.  They come up with some crazy stuff, most of which is very funny, but some of which is actually good things that an adult probably wouldn't have thought of trying.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
And some of that may well be the fear of the unknown, including the comfort level. If you compare comfort to freedom - or even death - a lot of the little "impossibles" fade fast. I know... I've gone through it.

If you are willing to take a real chance on not being completely "comfortable" - at least at first - you may find a faster way to the possible. 5 people CAN live in a two room shack, on venison, beans and water if necessary, for as long as it takes to come up with something better.

No, not comfortable, but preferable to a lot of other potentials. I suspect few here would ever be in such dire shape, but it is possible.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
If you are willing to take a real chance on not being completely "comfortable" - at least at first - you may find a faster way to the possible. 5 people CAN live in a two room shack, on venison, beans and water if necessary, for as long as it takes to come up with something better.

All eight in our family spent eight months in a two room "not quite a" shack last year to allow us to immediately getting our persons into Wyoming, while further digging out of debt without any pressure for immediate income.

The something better has included donated winter accommodations of a three-room hunting cabin, great opportunities, scenery...AND awesome room to flex our freedom around others of like-mind (even though most residents haven't even heard of FSW).

We wouldn't trade the "hardships" of freedom in Wyoming for any common comfort/stability elsewhere.

BTW if you don't think you can do something, you are right!!

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me