Author Topic: Hello and Feeling a bit like Richard Dreyfuss, lately. . .  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
Greetings FSWers!,

I see this is the place to introduce ourselves and it's a pleasure to do so to the folks
of FSW, in particular.

First things first: Even with a magnetic history towards WY, solidified with a half-dozen
camping trips with my dog after my father died in 2000, it was the persuasive logical vision
laid out in Molon Labe that's resulted in feeling a bit like Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters,
lately. Thankfully, the modern version of mudcakes of Devils Canyon in the living room is Google
Earth Fly-by's, distant stares at the dinner table and stealing away to the rifle range on Sunday
afternoons. All good fun.

Frankly, I thought the locational aspects of Freedom were nailed in 2000 when moving to
Nevada: Bought a house, started a business, setup shop. It's been OK in terms of taxes
and privacy. But, I can't bring myself to take the next step and buy land, here. There's
no community, business taxes are creeping and now quarterly entity reports (Super annoying).
Gee, not so funny, now, that Corporate laws helped narrow the choice in 2000 between
Nevada and Wyoming and, uhm. . .well . . .my bad, as the kids say.

Other countries? Well, after FINALLY finding Isabel, the love of my life, in 2006 a 3-week vetting
of all countries on earth was instructive. Here's my summary: . . . .Nope! (As an interesting sidenote,
you can be relatively free in a country where everything is prohibited and nothing enforced, but, good
luck finding a community of people you can trust).

So, it boils down to ID, MT and WY (So long, NV).

Now, to my way of thinking, delete ID and MT because they are not FSW. Being one
prone to endless Optimization (Of everything) it's best to recognize that it's the people
that really make the place. Anyone who would read ML and vote for Freedom with their
feet has got my full attention and respect. I thought I did the same in 2000, but, alas,
further work is required.

Blah, blah, blah, so here's my pledge(s):

-- That I will cease vetting all but WY for our future home and state of residency.

-- That I will prioritize consideration of FSW's preferred counties as laid out
 in ML (Crook, Weston, Niobrara, Hot Springs, Sublette) or, speak up, I'm all ears.

-- That each day I will take one step towards the pledges, above, with this (2nd) forum
 post being perhaps the 47th step taken towards the same.

-- That I will take the true FSW pledge as soon as I can keep it as my word.

Preaching to choir, here, but, by way of introduction I'm a shoot off the porch, landing strip
 on the property, what time is church, how can we help sort of guy (Uh,hem. . . Family).

Practically speaking, I've got a complex family situation here, folks: Bed-ridden Mother, Mother
and Father-in-law living with us, two-year old and wife with a great non WY-job. That's a reach
out to others who may have similar issues, not a complaint. It's my role as a father to the 2nd
love of my life (Timothy) to forge the optimal environment. It wouldn't be the first time that a worthy
goal required hard work.

To the ladies of FSW I proudly introduce my wife, Isabel. She's more than able/willing to speak
for herself, so, I'll just say, here, that her husband absolutely adores her! Her Mother's day request
was for her own LTR, so, we may end up with another Riflewomen in-house, after all.

My strategy is to use scouting trips to WY to further introduce my wife to WY and the logic of securing a
retreat, which will become our home. A pending house sale will assist in funding.
Conservative financial predictions have come true and built trust with my wife. I'll be building
on that trust, here, with Isabel. I'll build the retreat as our home and make ready. Gentle prodding
and correctly predicted circumstances will intervene and persuade where my words fail.

You want honest? That's honest. A fully functional, physical retreat built to become
the next home for my family. No timing predictions to make me a liar since any number
of family members could make me a liar which is really only a delay.

Physical trumps intentions, desires and goals and I wouldn't insult anyone on this
forum by claiming otherwise,

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

adambomb

Re: Hello and Feeling a bit like Richard Dreyfuss, lately. . .
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
(As an interesting sidenote,
you can be relatively free in a country where everything is prohibited and nothing enforced, but, good

Funny thing, I've also given thought to that scenario.  From what I've seen of Eastern Europe (Bosnia) that's the case; they have enough trouble tracking down big-time criminals that all the "little stuff" a "normal person" would encounter was more or less un-enforceable.  There was a feeling of a lot of practical freedom there, even if it wasn't "real."  They also had a pretty healthy "alternative market," which was interesting.  Unfortunately that perception was in context of being a deployed U.S. soldier, I figured there probably were some other caveats.  Didn't think about the community aspect, I can imagine that one quickly biting you in the butt.

Sounds like you have a solid plan, good luck!

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »
Thanks, Adam,

To your Bosnia perhaps Spain, Argentina, Peru, Uraguay may fit the bill, as well.

We'd be as free in these places as the first person who would complain and the 3 days
it would take 'authorities' to respond. That's something, at least.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:30 AM »
Howdy Terence , nice intro. Look around the forum for my "wyotour" if you need more
Wyoming travel info. We have a get together planned for June if you can make it then, come on out !
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:02 AM »
Looking forward to meeting you both! :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:42 AM »
Hi Terence, and thanks for the great intro.
We all understand the difficulties in uprooting for Wyoming, so no sweat there.
Come meet us in June for our big summer gig, and bring whatever fam you can.
 ~W~
Boston

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll look for the tour, wyomlles, thanks.

The forum has a LOT to chew on, so, will explore thoroughly before asking
questions that would just lead to duplicate content.

My In-laws are gone for two months to Colombia coming back in July which has
me on senior care duties during that time. Have to see if coverage is possible for
the gig.

Terence

Offline Rich

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »
Welcome, great Intro!

Since this Forum is rather Unique in the fact that we actually are REAL people doing Real things.
An outstanding way to get past just the Keyboard Commando aspect of forums on the net, is to
Join us at our event in June:

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=8152.0

We would Love to meet you in Person!
I do understand the difficulties in getting away, I took care of my Father for a year prior to his passing.
In hindsight a break would have been WONDERFUL given the the toll it took on me, I did not realize how
draining that experiance was till years later...

Richard

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:30:08 AM by Rich »
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 01:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Rich. 

Just read the your June link. The rules, alone, had me smiling
and wanting to be in a place where they would be applicable, not
to mention your efforts.

Ah, your "Keyboard Commando" phrase gets right to the heart of it, well put.
Also taking your hindsight experience of needing a break, to heart, though
am usually blessed with family support you might not have had access to for your father.

Terence

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »

FSWers,

Thanks for the invite, I'll be there!

Rich, I'll re-read your instruction link and PM a request for packet, now
that it's real.

Terence

Offline Herk

• Wolverine
  • FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
(As an interesting sidenote,

THIS.
Shiny; let's be bad guys.

III

Offline mattdeminico

• Reader
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
Honestly to your question about your situation and the move: I'm in the same boat, kinda.

I've got a good job (surprisingly with the federal government, doing about the only thing the federal government should be doing), make decent money, and have 4 (soon to be 5) kids.  I also own a business that requires me to be here.  I'm kinda stuck in what I do at the moment.

BUT, the only reason I'm not living in Wyoming right now is this:  I don't have a net worth (outside of investments, which I also don't have much of anyhow...) of roughly $150k to $200k.  That's it.  If I had all my college loans paid off by now, zero debt, and owned our house outright, I'd be able to sell what I own here, and move to Wyoming, buy a decent size house to fit the family, and leave myself 6-12 months of expenses (very very low when you have no debt and no mortgage) still sitting in the bank while I start up my own business, possibly working for someone else while I do so.

Honestly, think about it.  If you had absolutely zero debt, and owned your house outright, how much would it really cost you to live?  If we were debt free, without changing our lifestyle we live here in Michigan, where we drop a lot of money on things, including about $800 a month on groceries (we eat a lot of meat and veggies, some nuts and fruit, and not too much grains, so not too cheap), we could get away with living on about $25k per year, with 4 kids.  If everything after $25k was just gravy for you to invest back into your business, how long would it take you to build up some wealth?

Most people overestimate what they can do in a year, and underestimate what they can do in 10 years.  That's the plan here, get people out of debt completely, financially free, and then they can choose where they want to live, instead of letting a job tell them where they have to live, or where they can move.  Personal financial freedom is FSW's best friend.

Offline Herk

• Wolverine
  • FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
I made the mistake of waiting until I had "enough money" to move here.  As it turned out, I waited too long and I had to move here with almost nothing.  The only complaint I have is that I didn't get here soon enough.
Shiny; let's be bad guys.

III

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:26:49 PM »

Matt,

In the 15 days since my first post I have done at least ONE thing per
day to get to WY. Since you and I have a similar family situation here's
what I've come up with:

1) Don't think about the complexities of your family situation (For now).
 2) Envision your eventual solution and what it will look like.
 3) As parts of your vision become clear research that aspect and
      how it would play out in WY.

In my case, I'm looking for a retreat property, close to an airstrip, that I can place
a moblie home on to stay in while trying to bootstrap the rest. I'm also working on
all aspects of my work that enable generating income not dependent on location.

As far as getting out of debt I've got a plan that can help, but, it's going to
take some reading and cajones. I truly believe this plan can greatly
accelerate your efforts to pay off your house
and any other fixed debts you
may have.

Ok, I hope reading a little about my plan (Above) is helpful in formulating
your own. From one slightly overwhelmed guy to another.

Terence

Offline JeffM

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
It does seem a little overwhelming at times, on trying to figure out how to make the move.
You're right about get one thing done a day.