Author Topic: Hello from NC  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Clip Johnson

• Casual Observer
Hello from NC
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
Hope everyone is doing well!

I just wanted to drop in and say hello to all. MamaLiberty suggested that I check this forum out (BTW thanks ML!!!!).  I am currently considering a move to Wyoming. I have been working as an independent contractor for Sears Home Improvements doing kitchen remodels and cabinet refacing for the last 3 years or so. That is until the economy went sour. I've worked in this industry for the better part of my nearly 51 years of existence. Working as anything from lead ditch digger, to project manager of a mid-sized construction firm, to running my own contracting business, and most every position in between.

Anyway, I've been checking out this site and trying to discover if such a move is the best option for me at this time. I must admit, that thus far it sure sounds like paradise! Particularly regarding living amongst like-minded, freedom loving individuals. Not to mention the friendly gun laws in existence there are extremely appealing! It's just me and the dog, and hopefully I'll be able to make it out there to do a little investigative work at some point near the end of July, or the first of August of this year.

Hoping to check out the prospects for work there, as well as what area would I find a best fit for me. I love the outdoors, shooting, sightseeing, nature, beautiful panoramic views, shooting, fishing, mountains, rolling hills, abundance of trees, oh and did I mention shooting! But, as I am not independently wealthy, I must be able to work in my chosen profession, which I am passionate about (believe it or not) and successfully sustain my self as well as meager interests.

Any advise would be tremendously helpful and very much appreciated.

Last but certainly not least, I do indeed look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
Re: Hello from NC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »

Well Clip, c'mon out. Really what do you have to lose?? You only go around once.

With your knowledge I don't think you'll have to much problem finding work. Everybodies wife wants their kitchen remodeled don't they?? You really do need a couple of vocations and avocations here, it helps. There are several of us who live in the Northeastern part of Wyo. around Newcastle, Sundance and the Hulet area's, but we're pretty much scattered throughout the state so you should be able to find someone in FSW wherever you travel.

Theres lots of posts to catch up on which should pretty well get you up to speed on the general philosiphy.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:55:55 AM »
Welcome indeed, Clip! Glad to see you here. Pull up a chair and go exploring. Lots and LOTS of good stuff to read here. And if you have questions, fire away.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
Clip,
Good to hear from you. C'mon out! Too bad you couldn't meet us last week at the festival.

But you said:

"Not to mention the friendly gun laws in existence there are extremely appealing!"

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "friendly" gun law! Never met one that I liked!  >:D
But just to clarify, it's the near absence of gun laws that makes WY a desirable place to live, as well as MANY other things.

Welcome to the forum.
Mac

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Clip Johnson

• Casual Observer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:45:23 AM »
I very kindly thank you all for the welcomes!

And yes Mac, coming out for the get-together sure would have been most excellent. I've been itching to try out my newly acquired big ole Columbia tent. I expect you all had a great time!

You are absolutely right MamaLiberty, from what little poking around I've done here, it is pretty obvious there is a lot of great stuff to peruse. I just need more time to peruse it. Got a few things going on this week that are taking up my time, which can be a good thing! But I sure look forward to going through this site and reading everything I can.

Besides, anyplace that has BTP here, has got to be, IMHO, a fine place to frequent. I've got a few of your books (i.e., Boston's Gun Bible, ONUS, You and the Police) and look forward to getting the rest (if they are still available) when I am able to do so.

But, I do know already (by virtue of getting to know ML for the past year or so) that there are folks here with impeccable integrity, morals, skills, high intellect, and are just all around upstanding individuals. I can only hope to better myself through association, and perhaps getting to personally know as many folks as possible.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way. I just hope I don't wear anybody out with them! :)

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way. I just hope I don't wear anybody out with them! :)

Not likely, but we'd let you know.  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Clip Johnson

• Casual Observer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Just curious about the capability to grow fruits and vegetables through out the state. I know the altitude is pretty high in most places, and the growing season short, but what are some of the things that can be grown there?

I guess I have gotten so used to having long summers and for the past several years I have put in quite a garden. I currently have so many different vegetables coning in that the canning pantry and freezer will soon be full. Also have three different varieties of muscadine grapes, a huge fig tree that bears much fruit, 2 persimmon trees, 2 pecans, a walnut, and hickory tree on the property. So I'm left to wonder about the prospects where, if any, is the most suitable place/s for doing something similar there?

Also, as I've seen mention in various places throughout the forum here, the cold weather there serves as quite the deterrent for many folks considering a move there. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of cold, and generally find myself having to work out in it. But eventually become acclimated to it, though it isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. So, in addition to the above, I was curious if anyone somewhat familiar with, and could clue me in on, what to expect there concerning my profession. Are most folks in the residential home building/remodeling business typically not able to maintain steady work during the winter months, thus stay at home? Which I'm assuming can be 4-5 months out of the year?

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:49:24 AM »
We've talked extensively about gardens and the climate here, so a search for those terms should give you a lot of information. Just as with everything else, it is different in different places. Where I am, the winters are fairly mild and most people work all year round, even in construction. They might quit during a particular storm, but don't lay off for months at a time. I'm sure they arrange things so they're doing indoor finishing and so forth in bad weather.

Gardening is a challenge with more than just the growing season or altitude. Deer, grasshoppers and wind are the major factors that must be planned for and dealt with. Hail is not common, but can be devastating at times. A greenhouse or other protective situation is most helpful.

I came from Southern California and am slowly adapting. There are a number of things that just will not grow here, and that is sad sometimes, but there are other things I never saw before.. There is always compensation if you are willing to see it. :)

I got used to the cold very quickly. I learned how to dress, and I learned to stay out of it as much as possible. In fact, I am delighted with the relatively cool summers here. After spending years having to drive around in 115 to 120 degree heat in my work, an occasional summer day that reaches 90 is no sweat.

If this old lady can adapt, I suspect anyone else can if they really want to.

Offline Clip Johnson

• Casual Observer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
Thank you MamaLiberty for the reply. Although it is rather difficult when faced with continual work outdoors in harsh winter weather, I am guessing most folks who live there and work in these conditions have adapted to it. If not, well, wouldn't be in this business for long. And of course, that is part of my concern relocating to a place where the inclement weather potentially could literally get the best of you (isn't merely an inconvenience).

I will look through more of the forum here (have done a little but haven't found all the answers to the above questions I'd asked) about gardening, fruit and nut producing trees/vines/etc as I am able to. Time right now is rather hard to come by, but I will eventually.

Thanks again.