Author Topic: Greenhouses  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Maol

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Greenhouses
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
If you want to grow a good variety and significant amount of veggies you most likely will need a greenhouse and/or field tunnels. The growing season is short, and every county has had snow in every month of the year in living memory. Don't count on global warming. I have my own design which has worked very well in the past. It has a parabolic insulated back wall painted white with high titanium dioxide paint and transparent panels double glazed with an air space. I also used a insulated blanket that I rolled out over the panels at night. Inside I had under the the potting/seedling bench a series of composter drums and 2 30 gal. drum wood stoves as well as grow lights. When I am home for good I will be building a few of these again.
She likes to make whiskey and shoot her .308 all day… You just can’t beat a woman that shoots… oh but I do love her still!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:10:35 AM »
That sounds great. I'm interested in something to protect it from the hail. I have windows that were taken out of an old trailer. Now two of them are broken from hail. sigh Never did get a greenhouse built... they were laying on the ground.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline tpuig

• Social Type
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »
They make a film that is applied (like a car window tint) for security purposes on glass doors, etc.  It will allow the window to crack, but won't let anything penetrate.  Pretty amazing to see a big dude whacking away at it with a pipe and not getting through it.  Obviously intended for entry doors and such.

There are probably less expensive versions out there that you could apply to the windows.  That way even if the hail cracks the glass, it won't fall out and leave open holes.  Shouldn't affect the light passing through much either. 

Having a greenhouse is essential.

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
I always used multiwall polycarbonate sheeting. It is very hard to break.

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »

Having a greenhouse is essential.

Works for me.

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline tpuig

• Social Type
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »
I like that.  Greenhouse with built in pest control...

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »

Works for me.

Now Archy... isn't that just a LITTLE bit of an overkill? LOL

Offline ConfederateCatholic

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • For Southern Rights Hurrah!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »

Works for me.

Overkill??? No such thing...  :P
~Deo Vindice~ God will Vindicate

"Even when those who move you may be Kings, or men of power your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus," or that Virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." Kingdom of Heaven

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 07:25:17 AM »

[/quote]

Hmmm, maybe YOU can build a greenhouse big enough for that to fit in, but I don't expect to. And I'd want mine filled with plants, not airplanes. LOL

Offline Maol

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Archy, I may have to modify mine...hmmm. LOL
She likes to make whiskey and shoot her .308 all day… You just can’t beat a woman that shoots… oh but I do love her still!

Offline clemmac

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »

Hmmm, maybe YOU can build a greenhouse big enough for that to fit in, but I don't expect to. And I'd want mine filled with plants, not airplanes. LOL

Besides, those leaky old, Wright Cyclone engines would be dripping gallons of thick black oil on the plants.  The Cyclones were nasty things to do a "walk-around" inspection on if you cared about your appearance.  ;D

Offline ConfederateCatholic

• For Southern Rights Hurrah!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:14 PM »

Pfft... I'd find a way to make the airplane the greenhouse. >:D
~Deo Vindice~ God will Vindicate

"Even when those who move you may be Kings, or men of power your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus," or that Virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." Kingdom of Heaven

Offline Dodd

• Oath Keeper
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
I always used multiwall polycarbonate sheeting. It is very hard to break.
I looked that up and I'll probably give it a try. Just remember to go for maximum light transmission.

Offline archy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »

Actially, the domed cover they had the B17 Memphis Belle stored beneath in Memphis [known locally as *the Mud Island Golf Ball* would have made a dandy greenhouse with just the removal of a couple of the fiberglass panels and replacement with polyfilm or plexiglass. But the 'Belle's been gone since October 2005, and I have no idea about how they disposed of the shelter. 
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline archy

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »

Besides, those leaky old, Wright Cyclone engines would be dripping gallons of thick black oil on the plants.  The Cyclones were nasty things to do a "walk-around" inspection on if you cared about your appearance.  ;D

The 1820 Cyclones on the Memphis Belle weren't that bad, though pulling through the prop to free up the oil was not a lot of fun. At least one engine was run up weekly for the visiting tourists so that they'd get some idea of what the beast sounded like at startup, except Number Three, which had a birds nest in it when I was a volunteer worker on the 'Belle, and the birdies were not to be disturbed. They  were, in a way, grandkids of the 'Belle.

The 1820s weren't all that nasty to work on, [the Pratt & Whitney *corncob*  R-4360 Wasp Major used on the Dollar Nineteen Flying Boxcar gets my vote there] but they're getting MUCH better care now, and are looking pretty good.