Author Topic: Wyoming had lowest retail power rates in U.S. in 2010  (Read 7248 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Wyoming had lowest retail power rates in U.S. in 2010
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »

By The Associated Press | Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:30 pm

CHEYENNE — New data from the federal government show that Wyoming had the lowest retail rates for electricity in the country in 2010.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration says the average price in Wyoming that year was 6.2 cents per kilowatt-hour.

Hawaii had the highest retail rate, 25.1 cents. The national average was 9.83 cents.

Most electricity generated in Wyoming in 2010 came from coal.

Read more: http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming-had-lowest-retail-power-rates-in-u-s-in/article_acd0e41b-e800-5650-bc91-573ccf2a752c.html#ixzz1lF7YQq7g

Oh! That evil coal!
"Under my plan, electricity rates will necessarily skyrocket."
(Obama)
The president is always looking out for the people.
Now, if he can only get his buddies at the EPA to ban coal, or tax it more, or put a surcharge on it, or make it more expensive to mine, transport, and burn, then he will at last fulfill his "plan".

Our rates here with PRECorp are about 5.5 cents per KW-Hr.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline EHBIV

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
Re: Wyoming had lowest retail power rates in U.S. in 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
Do you know what the Natural Gas and/or Gasoline costs in Wyoming are and how they compare with everywhere else? I remember being pleasantly surprised with the gasoline costs when I was in Casper several years ago and it would not surprise me at all if not just the electricity cost in Wyoming is low.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
Do you know what the Natural Gas and/or Gasoline costs in Wyoming are and how they compare with everywhere else?

In Casper, the dozen best prices are $2.81 to $2.85:
http://www.wyominggasprices.com/Casper/index.aspx

And it's $2.99 in Gillette:
http://www.wyominggasprices.com/Gillette/index.aspx
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
This gives the overview and the details for the whole country. Just keep clicking to drill down to the individual stations and prices.

Mac
Ps. Don't know anything about natural gas. To my knowledge there's no natural gas in Crook County.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Historian

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »

By The Associated Press | Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:30 pm

CHEYENNE — New data from the federal government show that Wyoming had the lowest retail rates for electricity in the country in 2010.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration says the average price in Wyoming that year was 6.2 cents per kilowatt-hour.

Hawaii had the highest retail rate, 25.1 cents. The national average was 9.83 cents.

Most electricity generated in Wyoming in 2010 came from coal.

Read more: http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming-had-lowest-retail-power-rates-in-u-s-in/article_acd0e41b-e800-5650-bc91-573ccf2a752c.html#ixzz1lF7YQq7g

Oh! That evil coal!
(Obama)
The president is always looking out for the people.
Now, if he can only get his buddies at the EPA to ban coal, or tax it more, or put a surcharge on it, or make it more expensive to mine, transport, and burn, then he will at last fulfill his "plan".

Our rates here with PRECorp are about 5.5 cents per KW-Hr.

Mac

Generally, electrical rates in coal-producing states are lower.  In West Virginia they are also below average.

In fact, almost half of the coal burned in US power plants is low-sulphur Powder River Coal from Wyoming.  If the situation in the middle East deteriorates further, the price of oil will soar, and the demand for coal for electrical power will escalate.  The Powder River basin is a resource on which about 20% of the electrical power generated here in the US depends.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
Coal is cheaper & will remain that way unless they ad some kind of tax.

I hear our supply should last a few hundred years. Anyone have any opinions on what we should do in 2212 when stocks of coal start to run low?   :)
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline B-LINE

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »
We are getting ready to ship our "Natural Resource" to china. It will be shipped by train, from the powder river basin, to a port in Washington, then placed on a cargo ship to China.
Only third world Countries export their natural resources, to make a buck. How long will our Coal last, when we are feeding china's insaciable appetite?

Offline EHBIV

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »
B-line:

How long, indeed?

Shudder.

:(

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
How long?  A century or more given current recovery technology, probably many centuries if recovery techniques advance.

Don't fall into the Malthusian trap that the greenies have set.  The danger to our standard of living is the Federal Reserve, not the amount of coal in Wyoming.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
How long?  A century or more given current recovery technology, probably many centuries if recovery techniques advance.

Don't fall into the Malthusian trap that the greenies have set.  The danger to our standard of living is the Federal Reserve, not the amount of coal in Wyoming.

Don is quite right. The threat is not running out of resources, but rather our own government limiting their use because of the 3 footed ferret, the one eyed owl, the CO2 in the atmosphere, or simply their own greenie agenda.

Remember what Obama said:
For once, I believe the man. He said it. He meant it. He believes it. And he is doing everything he can to implement it.

Mac
Ps. The electric bill I receive last week for the latter half of Dec and first half of Jan was $100 even. All electric house. Washer, dryer, HW heater, heat pump, TV, lighting, etc. 1,700' upstairs (modern modular home) on a 1,700' walkout basement that is insulated and keeps to about 63F with all the vents closed.

BTW, I received a notice from PRECorp that they will sell power to me during the heating season at an even lower rate if I meter the heat pump separately. At this point it's not worth the expense of trouble of doing so.
From their website:
What is the price per kWh for the electricity I use for heating?

Without using the special electric heat rate, members will pay the full $0.056317 per kWh, over 1000 kWh, to heat their home. Sign up for the residential heat rate program and receive a heat credit of $0.02191 per kWh for the electric heat that you use.

That makes it 3.5 cents per KW-Hr for heating. What a deal!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:53:40 AM by manfromnevada »
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »
Don is right. BTW, why would we ship coal to China? Don't they have huge coal reserves, just like we do?
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
Don is right. BTW, why would we ship coal to China? Don't they have huge coal reserves, just like we do?

Never underestimate the ability of China's dictators to look far into the future and invest large sums of cash to fix a problem that "may" come in the future.

It's good to be king.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline B-LINE

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »

They are going GREEN; they want the low sulphur stuff.  ;D

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »
World coal reserves, the first 3 positions (from wikipedia)...
Code: [Select]
Country Bituminous & Anthracite SubBituminous Lignite TOTAL Percentage of World Total
United States 108,501 98,618 30,176 237,295 22.6
 Russia 49,088 97,472 10,450 157,010 14.4
 China 62,200 33,700 18,600 114,500 12.6

USA is the Saudi Arabia of coal, with 22% of world reserves. China mines more coal than any other nation. Shipping coal to China is like sending snow to Alaska.  :)

Not saying it doesn't happen of course. We live in a world where a lot of things don't make sense.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:58:00 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline B-LINE

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 11:39:29 PM »
It is reality. It's Mr. Buffett's Baby.