Author Topic: Let's talk about snow.  (Read 18242 times)

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: Let's talk about snow.
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
The resta the group is obviously off their meds or suffering from some sort of dimentia!
Yup...have been since i immigrated here...no more need for them!
Embrace the snow and cold. It's beautiful and FUN!! No bugs. No sweat. Mrs RaisedbyWolves gets to buy a whole new wardrobe. ;D
Did i mention i am an immigrant? From much further south?
The skiing here is world class! Snowmobiling, snowshoeing, ice fishing, I could go on and on. Good excuse not to go to work.  ;D
Eh, maybe...so is "It is too damn cold to get out of bed!"
;D
pW

Offline marciab

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
Growing up here, we never had 4WD and went everywhere.  If a hill was too slick, my Dad turned around and backed up.  We lived 35 mi. from town and did a lot of hunting, with 2WD.  Also did a lot of pushing and digging.  LOL

Offline Trenks

• Reader
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
So I would recommend studying topographic maps of the area around where you plan on living to determine if you need 4x4. If you have a driveway with 20% grade, get a 4wd. In Casper, I don't even need a car let alone a 4x4.

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
No car at all you say? Care to elaborate on that?
Does that mean you use some other means of transport, or that everything is within walking distance?
Nunya Bidness

Offline Trenks

• Reader
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
My workplace is 3.8 miles from my apartment. I'm a cyclist. I leave my place around 6am when the traffic is light and the temperature low in the summer. Its a very pleasant ride to work in the summer. I don't have a problem taking the route with my bike in the winter. I did it every day 3 miles in windy city chicago where there was slush. But I could live right downtown and be within walking distance.

Other than that I bike for my regular places like the gym and for groceries both are close. Or I can coordinate trips with my roomate or coworkers. My coworker lives just down the road so I can choose to ride with him to work and back if I want too.

Also there is a bus and taxi service in Casper. Also there is a couple rental car companies. Even if I rent a car from these places 3 days a week Id be saving a lot on owning a vehicle, gas, maintenence, taxes, registration, insurance, the vehicle itself.

I don't need a car living in Casper and I wouldn't need one in Cheyenne either. You have that option when you are in good shape and have a nice bike :D. That said, I will be purchasing a small truck because I am a sportsman and will want to bring my bike or kayak or canoe or atv along where I go. But even so I could rent a truck from enterprise. My work has a corporate account there I can use. So all in all it isn't necessary.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
My workplace is 3.8 miles from my apartment. I'm a cyclist. I leave my place around 6am when the traffic is light and the temperature low in the summer. Its a very pleasant ride to work in the summer. I don't have a problem taking the route with my bike in the winter. I did it every day 3 miles in windy city chicago where there was slush. But I could live right downtown and be within walking distance.

Other than that I bike for my regular places like the gym and for groceries both are close. Or I can coordinate trips with my roomate or coworkers. My coworker lives just down the road so I can choose to ride with him to work and back if I want too.

Also there is a bus and taxi service in Casper. Also there is a couple rental car companies. Even if I rent a car from these places 3 days a week Id be saving a lot on owning a vehicle, gas, maintenence, taxes, registration, insurance, the vehicle itself.

I don't need a car living in Casper and I wouldn't need one in Cheyenne either. You have that option when you are in good shape and have a nice bike :D. That said, I will be purchasing a small truck because I am a sportsman and will want to bring my bike or kayak or canoe or atv along where I go. But even so I could rent a truck from enterprise. My work has a corporate account there I can use. So all in all it isn't necessary.

It's not always true, but if you have a good downtown and you both live & work there you don't need a car. (Even if there is no public transit.) In my home town (was population 7,000 now 10,000) they have everything you need within 6 blocks of the downtown area. Lots of older people live there. The biggest new problem is the big box stores & chains getting built on the edge of town. If you're on a fixed or low income the $300 or more per month for a vehicle can really hurt.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. Sounds fairly urban - in Wyoming terms that is.
Where I live currently, hardly anyone resides downtown because, frankly, it's not a place anyone wants to live.
Nunya Bidness

Offline Thomas Prendergast

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Political Party: Pissed Off
    • Integrated Marketing
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »
All my vehicles have block heaters. Some nites around here can get way below ZERO. I have seen in at 48 degrees below zero.

I also live in Bentonite country. When that stuff gets wet and the roads here are filled with it, forget it if you don't have a 4x4 with some grip to your tires.

It is not so much the snow it is the cold and the wind that can kill you if you are not smart about travel and survival. Keep your vehicles very well maintained, always carry a weapon and a couple warm jackets and gloves in your truck at all times. Oh and water and a portable charged battery for jump starting. A tool box, fan belts, a couple Gerry Cans of fuel and a flare gun.

That should do it.

Thomas
The CEO of V2 a social marketing system for the business professional.
Live in Shell WY and run the businesses from home.

Apply now to a be a candidate

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
A good heavy sleeping bag is something I'm sure to have when driving around in winter.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Thomas Prendergast

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Political Party: Pissed Off
    • Integrated Marketing
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
The resta the group is obviously off their meds or suffering from some sort of dimentia!
Yup...have been since i immigrated here...no more need for them!
Embrace the snow and cold. It's beautiful and FUN!! No bugs. No sweat. Mrs RaisedbyWolves gets to buy a whole new wardrobe. ;D
Did i mention i am an immigrant? From much further south?
The skiing here is world class! Snowmobiling, snowshoeing, ice fishing, I could go on and on. Good excuse not to go to work.  ;D
Eh, maybe...so is "It is too damn cold to get out of bed!"
;D
pW

Went skying up above Worland at the Meadowlark Ski Lodge when it was 15 below zero. Not too bad, but the lift up was a chilling ride in the wind.

You get used to it and it makes you feel alive.

There is a lake right next to the resort too. Skinny dipping is not on the agenda during the winter season.

Thomas
The CEO of V2 a social marketing system for the business professional.
Live in Shell WY and run the businesses from home.

Apply now to a be a candidate