Author Topic: Request: new Amateur Radio sub-forum  (Read 29732 times)

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
Re: Request: new Amateur Radio sub-forum
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
Congratulations Richard!
   So, you took all three in one sitting?  I was thinking of studying up for T&G for the first round, not all three! What a task to study for three levels at once.

Thanks for the additional motivation.

Terence,
   How about  a “Test Questions” board for questions about the test and posting upcoming tests (or bragging about scores!)
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Congrats, Richard!

Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »

Awesome, Richard.  Congrats on your EXTRA achievement!

I agree the extra test is hard. Both the book and the question pools are more
than the Tech and General, combined.

Congratulations Richard!
   So, you took all three in one sitting?  I was thinking of studying up for T&G for the first round, not all three! What a task to study for three levels at once.

Thanks for the additional motivation.

Terence,
   How about  a “Test Questions” board for questions about the test and posting upcoming tests (or bragging about scores!)

I think your approach to go for the Technician and possibly General is the best way to go. 
I'd hate see someone not show up for the Technician test, for example, because they felt pressure
to take more tests in one sitting.  I made that mistake in 1994 while preparing for the then Morse
code requirement.

Sure, with so many FSWers prepping for communications it would be great to have a thread
discussing test questions and such.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
     I did a FCC Licensing search entering only my zip code in the search field. There are currently about 80 licensed Amateurs in my area. I recognized a few names and gave them a call. A couple of them are family members of those guys I know.  I think I have found my new local Elmer’s who I won’t need to start fresh with, and a connection to some good starter equipment!

My thought is to drive around and see what type of antennas these guys are flying and compare them to homes with old unused looking antennas. When I find a few that look decent, I plan to leave a note at the door offering to disassemble and remove the tower (at my own “liability and risk”) and give them fifty bucks or so.

Has anyone done something like this before, or have any better ideas for getting on the air for the first time w/o breaking the bank on all new unfamiliar equipment. This is still a startup hobby for me, and I have time on my side (for now).

BTW, I have checked CL and there is a running add from a guy scooping up all the Ham equipment in this corner of the state on the cheap. I’ll probably contact him at some point to see if he is selling, but I am sure with him knowing what he is buying and advertising as such, he is the reason low priced equipment does not appear too often, if at all, on CL.

Thanks
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
My advice to anyone studying for these tests is to buy the 3 study guides that ARRL publishes, but buy them from Amazon at a discounted price, no sales tax, and free shipping if you buy 2 or more.

The books are quite well done. They explain in the various topics what you need to know. The text is footnoted so you know that THIS particular sentence is the one on the test, then they follow up the section telling you to answer questions 2A, 3D, 3E-3G, and 5A, etc. And the questions at the back are reversed X-referenced back to the page in which the explanation is given.

The pool of questions is known up front. All you have to do is know ALL of them!
The online tests, at QRZ.com are good for measuring your progress, but they don't explain the reason behind anything.

Terence, myself, and now Richard have taken the 3 tests in one sitting and passed them with flying colors. It's a lot of effort, but worth it.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 07:31:33 AM »
I passed my technician test yesterday...34/35.  I tried the General, but having not studied at all for that material, I did not even come close. That is next on the list though. Once I have my callsign, I will post it. 
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Excellent!

This is something on my "To Learn" list - I keep forgetting to start on it! That list is soooooo long. I hope I have time to get through most of it.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »
I passed my technician test yesterday...34/35.  I tried the General, but having not studied at all for that material, I did not even come close. That is next on the list though. Once I have my callsign, I will post it. 

Congrats!

I checked the license of an astronaut talking from the space station during orbit. License class?  Technician! 

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
To my utter amazement I received my call sign today (at least it's active on the FCC website). It is KF7YMN. If you are in the Vegas area look me up. I usually monitor 145.555 and there is a radio link that brings the Vegas traffic over the hill to us.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 05:38:14 AM »
That's great! One step at a time. You should be able to get that 155 repeater from anywhere in the valley and into the verboten lands of Kalifornia.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
That is correct Mac. It works well up to the powerlines just east of Baker, north to Amargosa, and almost to Mesquite. I have a friend who is buddies with Art Bell, so I scored an intro to him. He offered to have me over and show me his HF stuff. I'm looking forward to learning that side of radio.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
I'd like to have a sit-down with Art Bell and find out how much of the load of BS I fed him & his listeners years ago he actually believed (as he inferred) and how much is schtick.

It was hilarious to listen to the series of follow-on callers who "verified" the story I made up....
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
Having spoken with him a few times and having listened to him for quite a while on the air and on the ham bands, my gut says it was mostly schtick. He seems to me to be a gracious Elmer and friend to quite a few people, but down to earth.  His radio past rarely comes up in conversations.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline Vince

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »
Is Art Bell still living in the Philippines?  I heard years ago he married a girl local to there and moved away.
Wear guns or wear chains!

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
He lives here in Pahrump...about a mile north of the brothels.  I don't know about any residence he may or may not have in the Phillipines.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!