Author Topic: Family and friend reactions to move  (Read 23700 times)

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
Re: Family and friend reactions to move
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »
My folks cautioned me about moving away from systems of support, namely family and church, and also warned me about associating with "anti-government types".  I hate to say it, but many in my family are quite statist.  My pastor has stated his belief that he is planted in his current location, inferring that I am also.  While I respect the opinions of those who disagree with the idea of moving to Wyoming, I'm still evaluating whether God is indeed inspiring a redoubt to the mountain region and is calling me to be part of it.  I'm planning to visit the northeast part of the state again this spring or summer to check out the job and real estate markets and find a Reformed church or fellowship where I may worship.

You've probably already seen these but this is a good place to post them, anyway:

Reformed Churches in The American Redoubt States:
http://www.survivalblog.com/redoubt.html

If they're part of your systems of support then that implies that you're
part of there's, too.  Perhaps reporting back your findings after taking that
summer trip would be of interest to them.

Zero mobility is not Christian doctrine though it's understandable that most of a local
church would not be inclined to move. Still, is there a downside to knowing where
one might go if ever led to leave?   That seems like a good way to put it to a local church.

Terence

Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
Also, we have not shared many details to our family or friends, except for a select few that are aware of what's happening in the world.....basically those that haven't drank the "kool-aid".

What plans do your select few have?  They're the only ones whose opinion
matters, right?

When it comes to life I prefer being more like a thermostat than a thermometer.

Why take the temperature when you can make it?

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »
None of you know the secret hand signal and shake? 

I am still trying to figure out how to use the three shells.

("Demolition Man" reference...)

I never did get that.  :(
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 04:38:58 AM »
Do we get spiffy hats with that?

Need to work on that. I can't get the tin foil to stick to my knit caps very well. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
Thanks for all the replies : )

Yes! Yes! and Yes! I agree with all of the statements about why move near like-minded individuals.
I hesitated on using the word "cult" because I know the FSW is not about that at all.  Heck, the church affiliation I grew up could be called a cult as well----so I'm aware of how ridiculous that sounds. Not to mention our political beliefs....in wanting freedom and the constitutions to be upheld----how dare I think such things! I must not know what tolerance means or I'm a big meany.  I chose to use the terms I hear and read, to make a point of how stupid words like "cult" come across. 

Of course the decision where to move and live is ultimately ours.   I'm still baffled as to why like-minded friends would put us down for wanting the same freedoms they are striving for.  We are NOT joining a cult and we'd probably move to a rural area in MN anyhow.....this just means our move would be to a different state. A state with more freedom. I'm thinking it may have more to do with us moving further away from our two friends.  But we rarely see them in person as it is (hour drive away).

As for the plans for family/friends who "get it":  a brother wants to live in Texas (warmer climate) but will most likely stay in the city (cost to move, kids here, etc.), another brother is already in Texas, two friends mentioned above are going to stay in Mpls suburbs until SHTF then they will retreat to Northern MN.  And want us to follow suit with them. We have no desire to live up on the iron range with more liberals.   

As for the rest of our family, all they know is we are looking for land in Wyoming.  Most of the reaction (even moving within MN to rural area) is to make sure you find a good church (whatever that means) and get plugged into that church.  That's the core and only big issue my family has.

We also agree in not mentioning FSW unless the opportunity arises.  Wyoming was on our radar long before the FSW was around, we're just happy to see how many others are like us : )

~Amy
“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”-Mark Twain

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »

"Why don't you move someplace I actually want to visit" was one reaction.   :D

HA!  Kelly, Love it  :D
That statement is exactly why we WOULD move to a place like Wyoming----so no one would visit us!
“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”-Mark Twain

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »

"Why don't you move someplace I actually want to visit" was one reaction.   :D

HA!  Kelly, Love it  :D
That statement is exactly why we WOULD move to a place like Wyoming----so no one would visit us!

No one except people who want to see YOU rather than wanting a local tour guide.  ;D
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline NiteRider

• Needs To Get Out More
  • Take Responsibility, Take Power!
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
Thanks Terence for the Rawles website. Very informative. But, it didn't show any Reformed /Calvinist churches in NE Wyoming. Does anybody know of any in either Crook, Weston, or even Niobrara counties? I did find a PCA church in Gillette and one across the border in Spearfish. Also, found a RPUS church in Casper, but again, my primary focus is the east/NE region of the state.
To the degree you demand any individual or institution to be your savior, to that equal degree will that individual or institution demand to be your lord!

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
NiteRider, I'm not sure what a "Reformed" church is anymore, as I've seen people describe Calvary Chapels as "Reformed" churches!

If there is a particular denomination (or denominations) you would categorize that way, try doing a web search for that denomination. Many of them have lists of locations of their congregations, often searchable.

Also, you might find more "community" type churches in rural and semi-rural areas like those you are looking at. Often, a generic independent community church will serve those with a wide range of backgrounds, rather than a bunch of tiny churches with very specific denominations. The community church will probably be fairly small as it is, and draw from a wide area around its location. The pastor there will likely be a bi-vocational pastor, perhaps working as a rancher and a pastor, or a teacher and a pastor, or an oilman and a pastor (etc.)

Small towns and rural areas just don't generally have the variety of specific denominations that a more populated area would have.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
In my experience here, a good many community type churches here are affiliated with the Southern Baptists. Just so you are aware. :)

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
I guess because I was raised in mostly baptist churches, I don't find that a problem. ;)

Offline NiteRider

• Needs To Get Out More
  • Take Responsibility, Take Power!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
Thanks 300D and ML.

Yep, I searched the denomination websites, but again, found a Presbyterian Church in America in only Gillette and Spearfish.  There may be a start-up Reformed fellowship of a dozen members meeting in a rented basement that has no website, yet.  I'm open to that if anyone knows of such a group.
To the degree you demand any individual or institution to be your savior, to that equal degree will that individual or institution demand to be your lord!

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
I suppose the congregations in Gillette and/or Spearfish might know of something also? You could try calling or emailing them, if you have contact information for them.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:37 AM »
I guess because I was raised in mostly baptist churches, I don't find that a problem. ;)

Didn't at all mean to indicate that as a problem. It's just a fact. I can't imagine that community churches wouldn't be affiliated with some denomination or another, rather than being completely independent.That truly independent sort was what I was looking for, and so far have not found.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
I don't know - they might be "baptist" but independent. There are a lot of those around, too.

Years ago, my then-husband (now long-time ex) worked for one of those small, independent churches, in a rural area in Montana. It didn't belong to any denomination at all but was sortof-mostly-kinda baptist. Kind of a lot of things, really. Just a generic Christian church. That part was, frankly, rather refreshing! The denominations agree on a lot more than they disagree about, and just preaching on those areas keeps a pastor plenty busy. :)

Also, you might check to see if there are any online sermons or bible studies from the type of church you are looking for. You could get involved with a local church for the fellowship and friendships, and listen to a bible study or sermon online on the side. (I know that Calvary Chapels and Mars Hills churches stream their sermons - and many other churches with websites do also, or at least they post the audio online.)