Author Topic: Family and friend reactions to move  (Read 23563 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Family and friend reactions to move
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »
I don't know - they might be "baptist" but independent. There are a lot of those around, too.

Thanks. :) I have a great respect for creator based spirituality, but have no more use for organized religion (after most of a lifetime as a Catholic). Not too many compatible folks around, but I keep looking. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 08:50:06 AM »
The topic of this thread makes me think someone creative could do a good "Hitler Reacts To..." vid on this.

There is a site where you can make your own, here:

http://downfall.jfedor.org/create/
http://downfall.jfedor.org/create/

I could only think of a few funny lines...my creative gene only stretches so far...

Have fun!
Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
When I gave notice at work before the move out here, most people were jealous that they were encumbered so much that it was an impossibility. They were sincerely happy for me. Other's (just a few) asked me if I was moving onto a compound, half joking. It was tough to leave family behind and hear the horror stories that took place during Hurricane Sandy. Tougher still to see the draconian laws passed in the state where I used to reside in the wake what happened in Connecticut. Those that love us most want us to be happy more than anything else, or at least they should.

My closest family members' well being is my primary concern. We have a much better life here. We can afford a nice home on one salary. I have more in common with any of my neighbors here than I did with very close friends where I used to live.

A prominent prepper that I met on a different forum nearly 5 years ago gave me some great advice when I posted how I was "regularly shocking" my neighbors because of my life style (year round camping, prepping, making my own things) and hobbies (shooting.) He advised me that during a time of crisis they (those shocked neighbors) would be no help whatsoever and they would, in fact, be a liability. His having said that ratcheted up my anxiety several notches, but he put a fire in my soul. It was that perfect moment of clarity. Coming out here for a visit and meeting a few of you awesome folks convinced us that WY was where we needed to be. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
I'm hoping to get rid of most of my liability (mortgage) this summer. The rest (my daughter's school loans (Parent Loans)) I'll still have to pay off but they are small in comparison.

Still, yeah, I can't just give notice and move. There are things I have to take care of first (including trying to sell a bunch of possessions for cash).

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »

My closest family members' well being is my primary concern. We have a much better life here. We can afford a nice home on one salary. I have more in common with any of my neighbors here than I did with very close friends where I used to live.

A prominent prepper that I met on a different forum nearly 5 years ago gave me some great advice when I posted how I was "regularly shocking" my neighbors because of my life style (year round camping, prepping, making my own things) and hobbies (shooting.) He advised me that during a time of crisis they (those shocked neighbors) would be no help whatsoever and they would, in fact, be a liability. His having said that ratcheted up my anxiety several notches, but he put a fire in my soul. It was that perfect moment of clarity. Coming out here for a visit and meeting a few of you awesome folks convinced us that WY was where we needed to be. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

bhowell,

Thank-you for the comments.  I feel the same way.  Especially with being a prepper and feeling like the odd ball around here.  You are so right....when a disaster strikes or SHTF.....I'd rather be around others that are prepared (or no one at all).   

I'm still concerned about living in the rural though.  I've always wanted to and felt more drawn to such places, but haven't lived in the country yet.  The solitude, owning many acres, and above all else freedom are what we are looking for. However,  how do you deal with the loneliness and distance? 

“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”-Mark Twain

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
Still, yeah, I can't just give notice and move. There are things I have to take care of first

We are in the same boat here too.  We'll get to Wyoming as fast as we can :)
“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”-Mark Twain

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »

bhowell,

Thank-you for the comments.  I feel the same way.  Especially with being a prepper and feeling like the odd ball around here.  You are so right....when a disaster strikes or SHTF.....I'd rather be around others that are prepared (or no one at all).   

I'm still concerned about living in the rural though.  I've always wanted to and felt more drawn to such places, but haven't lived in the country yet.  The solitude, owning many acres, and above all else freedom are what we are looking for. However,  how do you deal with the loneliness and distance? 

I've lived in a rural area before. In this case, that winter, there was only one neighbor within about five miles. We visited once or twice, maybe, but that was it. However, I worked in town (a town of 2,000), so saw a handful of people most days. Usually had lunch at a nearby cafe or the local high school's cafeteria, so I'd see more people there. Church (of around 75 people) every Sunday. Radio in the evenings (we didn't have a t.v., and my then-husband was usually working in the evenings), or I'd play the piano or read, between times of loading the wood stove or splitting wood. It wasn't really that lonely. There was solitude at times...but not loneliness, per se.

As to distance? It's like anywhere in the west. Get on the road and go! You'll be there within an hour, probably. Not much different than my commute now, just at a faster speed.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
FSW is simply one of the tools to be utilized to help make a move.  What you choose to do with that tool is entirely up to you and impacts what you'll get out of it.  Can't get much more libertarian than that!  FSW was not a 'reason' for us to move.  We had already made up our mind, it was just a matter of where.

It can be quite difficult to cut ties with longtime friends and some relatives.  Sometimes jobs with decent pensions can be roadblocks (depending on the state/company of course).  As the divide between critical thinkers and sheep widens, deciding to pull up stakes gets easier and easier.

Time is growing short.  With the path we are on nationally, I can foresee the day when travel will be much more complicated, if not restricted by region or even entirely.  Trial runs have been made in SoCal, TN and border states.  DHS/TSA/ICE has now proclaimed the BoR is no longer effectively in force not just 30m from the border, but 100m since they claim the right to ignore RAS and seach/question at will.  How long will it be before it's the entire country?

wybhroots, if you don't decide to replant in WY, be sure to get West of the Missouri R and north of Colorado.  If you're Mormon, Utah may be a good choice.  But don't stray to far West.  I have friends and relatives East of the Cascades/Sierra Nevada's and it's truly the land of fruits and nuts.  Sure, there are some good people there, but they have diminishing say-so in how the places are run.  It's lost to the statists.

To Add:  Does it really matter what others think about you moving?  You are the sole determiner of what is best for you (aside from any spiritual considerations) and the one that has to take the ultimate responsibility, so do what you have to do as soon as you can put it together.

Also, I don't buy the argument that independent types would all be lumped together and easier to 'deal with'.  If the balloon goes up, especially in a big way, the PTB will have their hands full with the many metropolis's coming unglued and won't have the manpower to spare.  I think you'll find we'll actually be ignored on about all fronts.  There are many reasons why and is a topic for another day.  If I'm wrong, I'd rather be wrong in WY than somewhere else. ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:45:22 PM by bobcat »
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
If I'm wrong, I'd rather be wrong in WY than somewhere else. ;)

AMEN!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
If all goes well...we might be there in a year or a little less. (Or at least one of those "west of the Mississippi/north of Colorado" places well east of the Cascades.)

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
Thanks for your input bobcat.
You are certainly correct....it is up to us and it really doesn't matter what other people say about our decisions.   Where ever do we end up moving to, it WILL be further west than MN (where we are now).

This journey continues to be a lonely road, but it's worth it to be free.

300dragonflies:
That's great news :)
And regarding your earlier post.....we like to drive, so no big issues there.  Many times we will drive 2 hours one way to visit some someone and then drive back the same day.  It's also a way we get to learn other roads/routes and enjoy the scenery. 

I'm still optimistic the solitude will be a good thing.  We even search it out where we live now (large city),  it's just nice once in a while to connect with other people. 

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »

bhowell,

You are welcome wybhroots.

Fortunately I don't get lonely here because I am with my closest family members. If I was ever close to feeling lonely it would be more like bored, which only happened once when I was here. I have a shelf of books I'd love to tear through if I had the time. There's a lot of work that needs to be on the house as well. Of course if I were a single man, I'd have to admit Wyoming may be a bit tough though. Distance isn't that bad when you drive really fast. Safe but fast.

Good Luck!
B
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner