Author Topic: Family and friend reactions to move  (Read 23672 times)

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
Family and friend reactions to move
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
Hello Everyone~

I was wondering what reactions you may have received from family and friends about moving to Wyoming and specially about the FSW (if told that was the reason for move).

I want to be clear that we will move to a place where we feel our principles will be accepted and our family/friends will not hinder us from pursuing such a move.
Also, we have not shared many details to our family or friends, except for a select few that are aware of what's happening in the world.....basically those that haven't drank the "kool-aid".

However, a couple close friends who are "like-minded" in many ways seem to think gathering in one state (or county) is a poor choice.  We would be a sitting target or at the least, joining a cult of some sort.  I'm guessing they are referring to the group of people who are settling in Idaho (?) in a closed society.   They also argue that it would be best to stay put where we currently are and fight at the local political levels.  Mind you, we have tried this and have been active, but nothing is changing for the better in this "land of 10,000 taxes".   In fact, this last election our state, county, and precinct was turned over completely to the democrats.   Not surprising, but still cannot stomach the fraud (& PAC money) around here either. 

I'm just at the point where.....why should we stay in this State at all?  My husband and I both have said we feel like we are drowning here......the life is being sucked out of us the longer we stay.  It's really sad, since we do like the country in Minnesota as well.  We've considered the rural areas here too, but it's just as bad there(local politics).

Thanks for any replies : )
~Amy
“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”-Mark Twain

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Family and friend reactions to move
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:40 AM »
Just wondering if you've read the official "frequently asked questions" post by Boston: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=24.0

Should settle all of the "cult" questions.

As for my family and friends in California... most of them thought I was out of my mind to come here. Those who really care about me have now accepted the fact that I am healthier, happier and much better off here than I was there. Some of them plan to join me, as soon as they can.

In the end, as much as I cared about them, I had to do what was best for me. I suspect that's about the bottom line for everyone.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
wybhroots.
It's easy to be associated with other groups. It's always negative. That's one reason I never refer to anyone with the FSW as "freestaters". That term is not a positive one due to connotations with other groups, like those in ID that you mentioned. Actually, the original "freestaters" were those who moved to Kansas in opposition to slavery. The term is overused.

Even today I don't say "I'm a member of the FSW", but rather, "I know several people who value their freedom and have also moved to WY."

But don't let others deter you. Besides, it's not like we're a close band of fringe people flashing the "secret sign" at secret meetings deep in the woods. We are quite open. Nothing to hide, but it's best to avoid scuttlebutt amongst the rest of the locals out here. That's why I posted what I did on the "Amish" thread.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
I never mentioned FSW as a reason for my move; as it was not THE reason.  Though it certainly was an impetus.

Family and friends were quite surprised, however, as it was 'odd' for a woman to move 2000 miles by herself where she really knew no one (yet).  Especially odd to them since I had only visited twice before moving.  My mother thought I was joking.

I just told them I was tired of being nannied and taxed to death by my home state and desired to live somewhere with less nanny-ism and with like-minded folks who value freedom. 

Interestingly, my male friends were jealous; my female friends were horrified.  "Why don't you move someplace I actually want to visit" was one reaction.   :D

Anyway, your reasons are your own.  If they can't accept that, then it just reinforces the reasons you're leaving in the first place.

Best of luck,
Kelly

The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline marciab

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
You ar absolutely correct on that Mac.  Right after I moved back to WY, there was an article puclished in the local weekly paper about FSW. Some locals were upset, thought a cult was moving in to take over.  That is how I came to join the forum.  I wanted to learn and  did, and put some minds to ease.  You are absolutely correct, in that naming a group, could make them unwelcome, and a target.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
Uh, there is no cult. This is a cult.

Maybe we should start calling the FSW founder "Bhagwan T. Party."  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
None of you know the secret hand signal and shake?   :o :o :o

>:D >:D >:D

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »
I know the secret hand signal, but I usually reserve it for politicians and the guys who drive the cars with the lights on top.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »
I know the secret hand signal, but I usually reserve it for politicians and the guys who drive the cars with the lights on top.

Tex

Exactly!

Online rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
None of you know the secret hand signal and shake? 

I am still trying to figure out how to use the three shells.

("Demolition Man" reference...)
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline NiteRider

• Needs To Get Out More
  • Take Responsibility, Take Power!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
My folks cautioned me about moving away from systems of support, namely family and church, and also warned me about associating with "anti-government types".  I hate to say it, but many in my family are quite statist.  My pastor has stated his belief that he is planted in his current location, inferring that I am also.  While I respect the opinions of those who disagree with the idea of moving to Wyoming, I'm still evaluating whether God is indeed inspiring a redoubt to the mountain region and is calling me to be part of it.  I'm planning to visit the northeast part of the state again this spring or summer to check out the job and real estate markets and find a Reformed church or fellowship where I may worship.
To the degree you demand any individual or institution to be your savior, to that equal degree will that individual or institution demand to be your lord!

Offline Brownhouse

• Casual Observer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
It seems to me that if you're drawn to a certain place and you end up there, then that's where you're "supposed" to be.  Conversely, It's entirely possible to find that the place you've always been isn't where you really belong.  Only you know the right answer for you.  The opinions of family and friends are good to consider, but those people don't have to live in your shoes, and they can't take into consideration everything that's important to you.  Ultimately, only YOU can decide what's right for you.

I do find the "don't associate with anti-government types" advice humorous, as if people who want less government intrusion in their lives are inherently subversive or wrong.  I'd argue that the opposite is true, that anyone who's ok with ceding individual liberty to the government is subversive to individual liberty.  It doesn't mean I'm "anti-government", it means that I am pro-individual-liberty.  That's what our country was founded on!  And as for the "cult" reference, look how backwards things have become, to suggest that people seeking FREEDOM are strange and "cult-like".  I find it reassuring that there are like-minded people who are heading towards parts of the country that are amenable to individual liberty, I look forward to making friends with like-minded people, but I certainly don't see any group-mentality going on.  People who value individual liberty also tend to value independence, not collectivism.
--
Mike

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
Adding to what Brownhouse said,
Just look how the MSM has treated the Tea Party. Sure, some wore funny clothing to mimic the period, but their main impetus was LESS government, LESS taxes, LESS regulation, LESS spending, LESS debt, more FREEDOM.
Since it was a movement and not a "party" there were of course wide variations, but the general concept, I believe, was as I stated above.

But how did the media and general public react? Much as Brownhouse stated. Are you crazy? Less government? Are you crazy? Less taxes? It seems that more regulation is welcomed by the great majority of the people, but the opposite is suspect.

The government and MSM is doing a great job at perpetuating this divide, and continue to consider such people as "the fringe".
The Occupy Movement, on the other hand, seemed much more accepted by the MSM even with their violence and demands for more spending.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Uh, there is no cult. This is a cult.

Maybe we should start calling the FSW founder "Bhagwan T. Party."  :)

Do we get spiffy hats with that?

;)
Kelly

The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline Brownhouse

• Casual Observer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
Absolutely right, Manfromnevada, typical liberal causes always get traction, because the MSM agrees with them and pushes them.  They're also always packaged very nicely, and compared to an intentionally-negative representation of the conservative viewpoint.  Plus conservatives by their very nature tend to be less outspoken and more interested in their LIBERTY than organizing for their CAUSE.  When you have outspoken propagandists fighting an anti-liberty cause, and you have liberty-minded people minding their own business, just wanting to live and let live, who wins?
--
Mike