Author Topic: Wyoming get's slammed!  (Read 17387 times)

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
Wyoming get's slammed!
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »
I was reading the book "Enjoy the Decline" by Aaron Clarey. This is a book about the decline of America and general guides and suggestions on how to deal with the decline. One of the options he talked about was moving to new places and he discussed the benefits and risks of doing that (and how to minimized them) when I got to this quote:

"While there is no set amount of time you should visit, I would recommend spending at least a year's worth of cumulative time in any country you are seriously considering. not only do you get to experience all the seasons and cultural changes that come with it, but more importantly you will discover any "unforeseen deal breakers" which would disqualify that country as a place to live. These "unforeseen deal breakers" are what you really have to look out for because they're "unforeseen." For example, though not outside the United States, when I moved to Wyoming I was very excited because I was finally going to be able to live my dream of mountain climbing and fossil hunting. However, I did not foresee the deal breakers: There is a dearth of interesting or intelligent people in Wyoming. I erroneously assumed people were of average intelligence no matter where you lived. But after having to foreclose on enough trailer homes, watch bloated single moms raid the local WIC office and wait in line as half of Wyoming still pays by check, I quickly realized a lack of intelligent conversation was a deal breaker."

OUCH!
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Wyoming get's slammed!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »
There is a dearth of interesting or intelligent people in Wyoming.
Really? Sorry I let you down. I can speak German and Russian, and my programming skills launched a video media player, as well as a few Linux and FreeBSD device drivers.
... as half of Wyoming still pays by check, I quickly realized a lack of intelligent conversation was a deal breaker."
What does checking have to do with anything? Oh, well. This author is probably of low intelligence pretending to be at a higher stature. If that feeds his/her ego, I understand and while I pity the creature, I won't directly oppose it.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
Don't sweat it...it's called disinformation, and preparing the battlespace.  Make the enemy go somewhere and somewhen of your choosing...i.e. NOT Wyoming (or in my case, Montana).

BTW, we're all dullards here in Flathead County, too.  Nothing to see, go elsewhere.
Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »
I got the impression he worked at a bank, hence the forclosed trailers comment, and I recall him talking about how his office window was right across from the WIC office, which would give him an inaccurate impressive of the town/state.

He was quite funny, talking about the parade of fat WIC mothers dragging their two or three fat kids into the office starting at the crack of noon.  :)

I also got the impression he wasn't happy with the men-women ratio in his age group.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:39:44 PM by Steve C. »

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »
What does checking have to do with anything? Oh, well. This author is probably of low intelligence pretending to be at a higher stature. If that feeds his/her ego, I understand and while I pity the creature, I won't directly oppose it.

I could be wrong, but here's what I'm thinking. If you want privacy you pay with cash. If you want convenience you pay with a debit/credit card. Paying with a check is slow, inconvenient AND has no privacy. I think that's why he associates it with lack of intelligence. (Plus everyone has to wait and watch while they balance their checkbook in public)

Offline Mark Davis

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »
I used to see tshirts and bumperstickers that said "Montana sucks, go home and tell your friends"
to lazy to chase arrows

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:12:02 AM »
I used to see tshirts and bumperstickers that said "Montana sucks, go home and tell your friends"

Damned right it does!
Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
I've read his book, and it's about as quirky as its author.
There's a lot we'd all agree with, but he has some odd asides (end-game suicidal thoughts, for one).

While Wyoming hasn't a plethora of hottie Colorado-type chicks, at least our ladies usually haven't Denver-type issues.  He wants to ballroom dance, hence his frustration in Casper . . .

I heard he's now in Minneapolis. 

Boston

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »

He's got some of the right idea embedded in his title. Having just read
the description on amazon I suspect it's one of those books that
delivers 90% of its value in the title and the rest of the book is
fluff many of the people on this site could write, themselves.

Is that too pessimistic or accurate?
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:53:14 PM »

I didn't think it was too bad. His biggest point it (IMHO) is to determine the truth, no matter how painful or distressing it is and change to meet this truth.

For example, he suggests that 50 years ago a degree was a big deal but today, unless you are getting a science & math degree or going into medicine, you are taking a huge risk to borrow $80,000 for a degree in 18th Century French Lesbian Poetry. That you shouldn't "follow your bliss" unless you are prepared to work at a Starbucks & live in your parents basement when your non-dischargeable in bankruptcy student loan comes due.

That feminism has "destroyed the quality of women" in America. If I remember correctly, he said he's dated over 500 women and he would only consider three of them "marriage" material.

He has a lot of wild ideas that I think are important to at least think about. (even if they might be wrong in the end)

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

I didn't think it was too bad. His biggest point it (IMHO) is to determine the truth, no matter how painful or distressing it is and change to meet this truth.

For example, he suggests that 50 years ago a degree was a big deal but today, unless you are getting a science & math degree or going into medicine, you are taking a huge risk to borrow $80,000 for a degree in 18th Century French Lesbian Poetry. That you shouldn't "follow your bliss" unless you are prepared to work at a Starbucks & live in your parents basement when your non-dischargeable in bankruptcy student loan comes due.

That feminism has "destroyed the quality of women" in America. If I remember correctly, he said he's dated over 500 women and he would only consider three of them "marriage" material.

He has a lot of wild ideas that I think are important to at least think about. (even if they might be wrong in the end)

Thanks for the review, Steve.
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
500?  Huh.  I doubt that . . .
And even if his # were accurate, it would comment more about him than American women.
I.e., something is off with him, or he's fishing in the wrong waters.

Boston

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 01:08:21 AM »
I double checked. It was "over 300" not 500. My mistake. :(

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Even if he included all those he actually had coffee with after meeting in the Safeway checkout line, I'd still doubt his "over 300".  Either he's a gomper, or just too picky.   :)

Boston

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »
My mother used to want me to marry a virginal catholic girl...
after a few years it was a good catholic girl...
after a few more years is was a good Christion...
now she's just hoping for someone with a pulse.  >:D