Author Topic: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!  (Read 89431 times)

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
Re: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
The link is now there; thanks LadyLiberty.

Also there is:

What makes a "Wyoming person"?

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=4999.msg36335#msg36335

Free State Wyoming Blogs
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=3863.0

All are ready for your contributions!

Thanks,
Boston

Offline Dr.Tramp

• Social Type
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »
 Hello. Dr.Tramp here. Why I moved to Wyoming? Hmm..... First let me tell ya'll a bit about myself.
 I've been a wanderer all my life. Never lived more than 6 years in one house and usually much less than that. I've been in every state of the US, parts of Canada, China, Mexico, Vietnam, Australia and I lived and worked in 3 countries in Europe for about 5 years.
 Spent a lot of time off and on down in Colorado but it's become to Californicated anymore for my taste.
 Always liked the mountains and the plains and when I decided to settle somewhere I picked Cheyenne because here I have easy access to both, it's big enough to have everything I need but small enough to have that small town friendliness to it.
 Bought a small house, joined a shooting club and am getting to know the place better.
 What do I do besides wander? I fix things. I worked in the motorcycle industry for 25 years, 3 as an instructor for the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute, and I have about 15 years of experience in industrial mechanics.
 That about covers it. Any questions just holler.
 Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the government. Patrick Henry.
 There are only two kinds of people in my world. Those that bother me and those that don't. Dr.Tramp

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
What do I do besides wander? I fix things.
Ah, one of the most honorable and noble professions, right alongside the people who build things.  Glad to have you around!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 10:28:03 PM »
Howdy Dr .Tramp I would love to share a campfire with ya if you are free to come to the get together in June. Sounds like you might have a lot of stories to tell.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »
"Dr. Tramp" -- that's funny.
Glad Wyoming is such a good fit for you, and welcome here!
Thanks for your post,

Boston

Offline MacAaron

• Reader
    • Militant Libertarian
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »
This might take a while.  Grab a beverage.  Make it a soda.  They're gonna put a tax on those soon.

Before moving here to Wyoming, my wife and I lived in the Salt Lake City area of Utah.  For those who haven't lived there, Utah (especially the Salt Lake and Utah Counties areas) is very unique.  It would be a real nice place if it weren't for the people.  Specifically the "soccer mom" Mormon types.  It's pretty amazing.  Believers of the LDS faith who live outside of Utah (we have neighbors now who are Mormon) are much different than those who live in Utah, where they are 49% of the population.  We called them the "Mormon Taliban."

They are the reason it's a near-criminal act to buy alcohol, smoke a cigarette, or carry a gun in the city.  On top of that, there's the city itself.  I hate cities.  Salt Lake City was the largest I'd ever lived in.  I have no plans to ever go back to that.  I consider Cheyenne (which is 1/10 the size) to be "big." 

We were definitely stuck in Utah, however.  While housing is relatively cheap, the costs of living are huge.  Taxes are high and wages are generally low.  Worse, there is a huge glut of educated workers in Utah, so even a college degree and a real skill won't guarantee you a good income.  Getting out was a priority, but we had a lot going against us. 

One night, my wife and I sat down and talked about it.  I'd met Boston through my friend Fran and have read every one of his books.  I was critical of Molon Labe (I'm hard to please, I didn't like Suprenowitz' Black Arrow either), but greatly enjoyed the analysis at the end of the book regardless.  It fit in with discussions that I and my compadres had been in many times.  Usually through thick cigar smoke and lots of local brew.

She had just started school on the first leg towards becoming a nurse (Assoc. Medical Assisting) and I was working hard labor because my business had failed.  I knew that $13/hour wasn't going to go far for long and she wanted to cut back.  I'd thought about starting a new (temporary) career and truck driving seemed to be it.  We scraped up the cash and I went to trucker school.

Then I went over the road for a local outfit hauling produce.  Trucking is a unique business.  What got me interested was the extreme independence most drivers enjoy and the fact that you're paid for performance (miles driven/goods delivered) rather than just for showing up.  Despite the heavy (new) federal regulation, there is still some money to be made in trucking.  It's not an easy job, though.  Someone without self-discipline and forethought will not get far truck driving.

I drove for three years and made pretty good money.  She finish school after two years and we started looking towards Wyoming.  She wanted to leave Utah, I wanted to go to Wyoming.  She was happy with Wyoming.  As long as it wasn't Utah or California, she was game.  We then looked at our circumstances and narrowed our choice of where to live based on those.  I originally wanted to move to Crook County near Hulett, but that wasn't realistic for us.  She needed access to a sizable town with medical facilities so she could work and I wanted to be where I could get home once in a while in the truck, even though driving was temporary. 

We looked at housing in Cheyenne, but one trip to town told us that we could get more for our buck outside of town and I had no interest in trading one city for another--even one as small as Cheyenne.  We eventually settled on Pine Bluffs.  What sold me was the town's size (officially 1,200 people, but the city limits spread pretty far, there's maybe half that actually in-town) and the crime statistics.  Namely the lack of them.  For the year 2006 (the last year available before we moved here), there were the following: 3 aggravated assaults, 1 auto theft, and that's it.  The assaults were all at the bar and the vehicle theft was a teenager stealing his parents' car. 

One visit to the town sealed the deal and it took little time to find our new house.  We moved in on Labor Day weekend in 2008.

My wife commutes to work daily (45 miles each way, all freeway) and I work at home now.  We've started an animal rescue group with some locals and teamed up with a shelter in Carpenter.  I've managed to piss off the mayor (who's been handily voted out of office) and the town cop (Tom) thinks I'm hilarious (telling my dog, LeRoy, to "act natural, it's the fuzz" whenever Tom comes around helps).  Tom also thought it was great (he's originally from Jersey, I try not to hold that against him) that I told the city council during a meeting that their plans and the reasoning behind them were "f@#*ing stupid." 

Turns out, one member of the council agreed with me.  He's now the new mayor. 

There are few places with a political and cultural climate quite like Wyoming's.  There's some cowboy, some patriot, and some farmer/rancher all rolled in there.  Mostly it's a "lemme alone, gubmint SOB" theme.  My neighbor is the caretaker at the local elementary school.  He was telling me about the lock down drills they have to do (thanks to the fedgov) and how stupid they are.  I asked him why they don't just take down the "no guns" signs.  He said that the PTA had been asking them to do that and had actually pushed for the school district to allow teachers with CCW to carry in-school.  That didn't fly with the federal rep, of course. 

Imagine that? Public schools where the parents and teachers actually want to be able to carry guns in the school. 

The other thing you'll find here is friendliness.  People wave, whether they know you or not, just because they're passing by.  People help one another out, hold the door, say "thank you," etc.  Town parades involve the entire town: if you're not in it, you're watching it.  Nobody sends the cops over if you haven't mowed your lawn or properly trimmed your trees. 

Basically, it's country life.  It's not the country life you see on TV with monster trucks and people randomly shooting into the air.  It's real country life.  Friendly like. 

Come out to Wyoming and see it for yourself.  Hang out for a couple of weeks somewhere (randomly pick a spot, it doesn't matter).  Talk to people.  See the sights.  I bet you'll only leave to go get your stuff to bring it back here.  :)
--Aaron
of clan MacAaron, of Wyaska

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »
....and the town cop (Tom) thinks I'm hilarious (telling my dog, LeRoy, to "act natural, it's the fuzz" whenever Tom comes around helps).  ...

Must be a bad, bad LeRoy Brown...dog... ;D

Good to see you on here MacAaron...and look forward to more of your posts about living in-town Wyoming...

Big cities (with nasty ol' Wal-Mart & such) are close enough when they are an hour away...all the convenience none of the hassle.

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline MacAaron

• Reader
    • Militant Libertarian
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:30 AM »
Must be a bad, bad LeRoy Brown...dog... ;D

Good to see you on here MacAaron...and look forward to more of your posts about living in-town Wyoming...

Big cities (with nasty ol' Wal-Mart & such) are close enough when they are an hour away...all the convenience none of the hassle.

MANUMIT

That song is exactly where his name came from, actually.  Baddest dog in the whole damn town. :) 

Ya, we have access to Wally World and Sam's Club in Cheyenne as well as most of the standard Big Box stores.  I do a lot of shopping online and buy a lot of stuff locally as well.  I wish I had known last year that there's a Farmer's Market in Kimball, NE (20 miles east).  Kimball also has an awesome hardware store (old time, where you walk in and tell him what you want and then talk politics for an hour) and a great thrift store as well. 
--Aaron
of clan MacAaron, of Wyaska

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »
My neighbor is the caretaker at the local elementary school.  He was telling me about the lock down drills they have to do (thanks to the fedgov) and how stupid they are.  I asked him why they don't just take down the "no guns" signs.  He said that the PTA had been asking them to do that and had actually pushed for the school district to allow teachers with CCW to carry in-school.  That didn't fly with the federal rep, of course.

Imagine that? Public schools where the parents and teachers actually want to be able to carry guns in the school.

Actually this is state law; Wyoming's CCW law is less than ideal because it has too many restrictions where you can't carry concealed. For example, in Oregon you can carry concealed in govt. schools. The obvious answer, if people really want teachers carrying in school, is open carry. "Discrete" open carry would do the job...
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
Here I am...

I Flew into BFF on 9/11 with a case full of firearms (take THAT TSA), bought a proper truck (79 Chevy 1/2 Ton) within 2 hours of landing, and, after sleeping/showering off the stench of Chicago, arrived in-country on Saturday (9/12).

I'm here to make sure that those persons held in the new Torrington Prison for commiting force or fraud take the opportunity to reflect on how lucky they are to be alive...and to spread the gospel of ZAP and personal responsibility to them... at least until such time as a properly minarchist/agorist non-state eliminates the state incarceration system.  ;)

Now I just need to find a place to rent in Torrington that will accept Cats, Guns and a proper individualist mindset.  ;D

CUAGAUPT!
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline SunDog

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
We had lived in Black Forest, Colorado, in El Paso County for 9 years after an eye opening 5 years in California. It was a nice place, and we probably would have stayed forever on our 5 acres, but layoffs were frequent and the population growth was unbelievable. In 1995 we bought "retirement property" in Wyoming, near Bighorn. Events conspired, and we found ourselves living in California, again (sigh). We sold the property but kept the idea, and in 2002 we bought another place north of Sheridan. Events conspired again, and we found ourselves moving to Colorado in 2007. The state had changed for the worse - more people, more progressives and the supporters of O won the state! Shocking! But fate was not through, and we received notice - a letter from a lawyer, actually - that we would be moving again, thanks to our landlord's bankruptcy. So we notified our tenants in Wyoming that we would not renew their lease. In April we began a 3 month process of renovating the house (it's amazing what tenants will do to a place) and by July were were here. Next time, if events conspire to push us out, we're pushing back!

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
Hello Folks,

After years of thinking about it, I finally moved to Wyoming.  Arrived yesterday, after a 3.5 day drive alone from Taxachusetts.

The reasons why I moved are similar to those covered in earlier posts...more freedom, less taxes, and a sincere desire to have a better, more fulfilling life, with people who are more like me.  I lived in/around Boston for 10+ years, but was a small town girl the entirety of my life before that.  Moved there for money (a mistake); left for freedom (mistake corrected!).

Special thanks to those on the forum who reached out that first time I visited:  Mama Liberty, manfromnevada and Rich…every one of you made a difference and gave me a positive first impression of Wyoming and, ultimately, made my decision to move that much easier.  Further, thank you for your friendship and support since that first visit.

And, of course, a big shout out to Boston.  Without your eye-opening BGB…I’d probably still be a prisoner of my home state.  Thank you!

Looking forward to meeting more of you, and doing what I can to promote Liberty.

Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline Rich

• Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Your Very welcome Kelly!

Congratulations on your move from tyranny and escape to Freedom!

We Welcome you as an official FSW Member, In Wyoming!

Rich
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 06:13:37 AM »
Yippeeee! Kelly's here!  :):):)

It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »

When you get the time c'mon down to Newcastle. I think we can get a few of us together, maybe some folks from Sundance and around the area can make it to.....................CONGRATULATIONS.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine