Author Topic: Forum access regarding non-FSWers  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Paul W. Allen

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Forum access regarding non-FSWers
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:26:20 PM »
I was just wondering why the mission thread thread was moved behind closed doors? Granted, I haven't paid the $25 or signed the SOI, but then again I already live here. I just hang out and offer advice when I can to people that really don't understand Wyoming in all its challenging glory. Why would this discussion be moved? I've been hanging around for a couple of months trying to figure out what twist was awaiting my beloved state and now it seems no better than the local school board moving into executive session to shield discussion. What a shame. I figure Boston would have learned more about how we really view things in Wyoming. We like to know who our neighbors are and where they stand. Upforth, open and honest. Pity. :(

This is explained in greater depth further on in this thread, and at:
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?topic=3118.0

I understand where other Forum access confusion comes from.?
It's because there are several? levels of access:

#1? several basic boards readable by all, including non-registered viewers (who are not "users" and thus cannot post).
#2? above, plus 98% of topics readable by registered users (except for FSW Member/Associate boards and admin stuff)
#3? above, plus FSW Associate boards (requires unsigned SofI)
#4? above, plus FSW Member boards (requires signed SofI)
#5? above, plus admin staff board
#6? above, plus our Forum Administrator's privileges (no extra boards, but software control)

In summary, the first time on the forum, you read a few of the public pages.? That was #1.
Then, you register as a Forum user.? That brought you to #2, and is where most users are today.
If you later send in an FSW SofI and $25, then you get to #3 or #4, depending on a signature or not.?
(On this point, see http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?topic=3118.0 )

The remaining levels are admin staff, myself, and Joseph.

Finally, mere registration on the Forum is not the same thing as being an FSW Member or Associate.
The classifications of Newbie, Lurker, Casually Interested, etc. refer only to the user's quantity of posts--nothing more.

I hope this clears things up.? I apologize for the confusion!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:41:40 PM by Boston »
True freedom is only found through self reliance.

MarthaK

Re: Moved????
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »
We like to know who our neighbors are and where they stand. Upforth, open and honest.

Thank you for putting in a few words what I couldn't seem to articulate.

Martha

Offline Paul W. Allen

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »
Just tellin' it straight.
True freedom is only found through self reliance.

Offline Beulahtrash

• Wolverine
  • Needs To Get Out More
  • I enchant the easily entertained
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:17:01 AM »
Yeah, I finally got a chance to catch up and I can't access that part anymore. That coupled with a diconcerting private message from a fellow Crook County resident really makes me wonder what's going on.
"May your enemies be on full-auto" -Col. Jeff Cooper
"& may their side arms be modern 1911's." -Beulahtrash

III

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »
I moved the post to the Members/Associates board because the
discussion was pertinent to them, vs. the public.

The FSW mission has been quite clearly stated in our FAQs.
MarthaK was apparently trying to make it into more than it is,
which made her post more appropriate for Member/Associate business.

If FSWers hash out a different FSW mission than the current one,
it will be posted for public view.? Meanwhile, any discussion about it
is our own business, vs. the forum at large.

Boston

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:43:43 PM by Boston »

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »
I was just wondering why the mission thread thread was moved behind closed doors?

The question almost answers itself, if you think about it.  :)

A mission is for members to work out. If you want to have a say in it, you have to join. That is only reasonable.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline PatriotAR15

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
I have yet to hand in my SOI and $25 (Just haven't gone around to it yet), and I understand completely why certain functions of this board are closed to me. If there are paying members, they should obviously have much more of a say on the board, than someone who hasn't. I dont know why so many have a problem with this!

BTW,  Boston, where do I send the SOI? To your publishing company, Paladin Press?
Happiness is a cold gun, and a warm beer... Also could use a cure for dyslexia. - Jack

Offline PatriotAR15

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
Oops, I meant Javelin Press!  :o ;D :D
Happiness is a cold gun, and a warm beer... Also could use a cure for dyslexia. - Jack

Jed Bodacious

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
PatriotAR15,

You and I came onto this pretty much at the same time if I recall, and I remember logging onto the forum and following your progress across the country to Wyoming. I have personal accounts from Jared, Tom and my old childhood friend Michael (who went back to Oklahoma) that they met you, and that you are a real person with a real desire to be apart of this movement. You have done far more than filling out a piece of paper and spent far more then $25 to help in the mission........I think that speaks far more to your intent than the other way.

A signed statement and $25 is a much easier way to get the "low down" and dig up "trash" about the members here, getting "member only information" or what ever else the reasons may be. The life changing acts you have demonstrated and your willingness to be among one of the first in my view gives you ipso facto membership with all rights and privileges granted to the $25 members.

That's where I coming from. ~W~

-Jed

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
All of the information, and the address to send it to is on the FSW statement itself.

FSW  c/o Javelin Press
P.O. Box 3/W
Ignacio, CO 81137-0031

In the interest of privacy, please use the above zip code as the return address.

Hope this helps. :) ML
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:58:53 PM by MamaLiberty »
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Jed Bodacious

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »
Oh and you have been quite active on this forum to boot! Sounds like a guy who should be granted membership to me.

-Jed

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »
from Jed:
The life changing acts you have demonstrated and your willingness to be among one of the first in my view gives you ipso facto membership with all rights and privileges granted to the $25 members.
Then, by that single criterion (of having moved to Wyoming), all such
relocators should be granted automatic FSW membership?

The SofI contains not only a pledge of relocation, but of broadly common conduct and goals.

A signed statement and $25 is a much easier way to get the "low down" and dig up "trash" about the members here, getting "member only information" or what ever else the reasons may be. The life changing acts you have demonstrated and your willingness to be among one of the first in my view gives you ipso facto membership with all rights and privileges granted to the $25 members.
What you're saying is that so far an insincere SofI and $25 unfairly gets
more access than a helpful Forum user who's yet to send in a sincere SofI.

I can see your point, however, there's just no reasonably simple or effective
"sifting" process between the two regarding FSW Membership.  We must take
signed SofIs at their word, barring subsequent evidence to the contrary.

Oh and you have been quite active on this forum to boot! Sounds like a guy who should be granted membership to me.
Forum participation is not a requirement of FSW Membership.

PatriotAR15 himself has stated no objection to all this, and intends
to formally join the FSW when it suits him.?

Boston

[/color]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:03:31 PM by Boston »

Jed Bodacious

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 04:29:04 PM »
First let me just say a phone call would do this topic much more justice........

However.......

All I am really trying to say is that people are different, and if part of the goal is to get people on the ground.....and they have made contact with other FSW members, spent time with them, helped each other, been active on the forum, and what ever else you may want to add or take away.....that means something! So much more than a signed SOI and $25. I'm not saying do away with the original way, simply give credit where credit is do...that's all.

I can tell you since I came across this forum, read your book, made my first trip up there....tried to get my friend to get into this, I have incurred thousands of dollars........I believe in this, and I very passionately want to see this work! I'm one your side! All I'm asking for is to be recognized for this and others who have done (and will do) the same.

The SofI contains not only a pledge of relocation, but of broadly common conduct and goals.

Okay, that's fair.....I don't have any real problems with that, but what of others? Some people feel about signing statements like others do about their privacy.

I'm just trying to help, and this one size fits all membership is not helping us.

As for PatriotAR15, his method of joining is his business, (simply put) his post presented me a perfect example of my main complaint about membership.

-Jed

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 04:46:17 PM »

from Jed:
First let me just say a phone call would do this topic much more justice........
lol.? Then I'm the wrong guy, as I really loathe having to use the phone.

Besides, I'd rather cover common questions openly, for the general readership,
and thus not have to answer the same question multiple times.

I can tell you since I came across this forum, read your book, made my first trip up there....tried to get my friend to get into this, I have incurred thousands of dollars........I believe in this, and I very passionately want to see this work! I'm one your side! All I'm asking for is to be recognized for this and others who have done (and will do) the same.
I do recognize that, as do others here.
I'm replying to your questions and discussing this with you, aren't I?

And, yes, it appears that you have done more than many FSWers, both here and for yourself.
But, you've not signed our common pledge, so you're not yet an FSW Member or Associate.
That has been your choice.

Some people feel about signing statements like others do about their privacy.
OK, what exactly is your issue with either signing statements, or the FSW SofI?

I'm just trying to help, and this one size fits all membership is not helping us.
I understand, and appreciate your comments, but will two sizes fit all?? 5?? 10?
Somebody will always have some objection to something.
If there is one thing in Life I've learned, it's to gravitate towards simplicity.

As for PatriotAR15, his method of joining is his business, (simply put) his post presented me a perfect example of my main complaint about membership.
Ironic, because he wasn't complaining...

Boston

[/color]

Jed Bodacious

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
from Boston:

lol.  Then I'm the wrong guy, as I really loathe having to use the phone.

It shows ;D....and I do understand, I'm not overly fond of them either. However they do seem to convey a person?s humanity better than mere words on a page.

Besides, I'd rather cover common questions openly, for the general readership,
and thus not have to answer the same question multiple times.

That's fine, but my reasons for the phone are to head off misunderstandings that lead to bitter feelings and folk leaving the forum.....of which there are already too many examples.

I do recognize that, as do others here.
I'm replying to your questions and discussing this with you, aren't I?

Perfect example of text vs. phone.....it can come off as sounding negative. "aren't I"

And, yes, it appears that you have done more than many FSWers, both here and for yourself.
But, you've not signed our common pledge, so you're not yet an FSW Member or Associate.
That has been your choice.

Again, can be taken in a less than positive way."it appears"

Actually I have signed it. Yep, my choice.

OK, what exactly is your issue with either signing statements, or the FSW SofI?

Personally I don't have a problem with the FSW SofI in principal; I just feel deeds speak louder than words or signed statements.

I understand, and appreciate your comments, but will two sizes fit all?  5?  10?
Somebody will always have some objection to something.
If there is one thing in Life I've learned, it's to gravitate towards simplicity.

I think your pretty much spot on about the simplicity thing; I don't know how many sizes it would take (hell does it really matter?) I think the more I ponder this crazy little topic, the more I come to realize I just want to see what kind of people run this outfit.....are they the type who always hold to absolute thinking or do they recognize rules of thumb and see value in other peoples points of view? Am I testing you the other members here, the decision makers....yes, I would say so........you see I have a pretty dim view of authority, and I have lots of doubt about people and organizations......I figure if they are willing to bend here and there, then they must have a fairly good amount of humanity in them......it is hard to pin down, but when someone does something for me they did not have to, I feel I'm in good company, and in turn I want to do the same for them.

In short don't kill the sprit with absolutes.

Ironic, because he wasn't complaining...

Very true, however Irony can be a great teacher......and that was my aim ;)

-Jed