Author Topic: Another from Kalifornia looking for freedom  (Read 6391 times)

Offline AlbannachDragon

• Reader
Another from Kalifornia looking for freedom
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »
Hi all,  I would first like to allay any fears about folks fleeing California, we are not all leftists and not all of us voted for the absolute insanity that has taken over here.  It wasn't that many years ago when we were more freedom loving and constitutional in ideology.  Unfortunately over the last 40-50 years there has been a big influx of east coasters and foreigners, and this has single handedly changed the culture from constitutional to communist.  There are even a few of us that grew up in rural areas, raising livestock, hunting/fishing on a whim, and experiencing, first hand, true freedom.

Anyway, I've been haunting this forum, and FSW in general, for a spell now, and I thought I would introduce myself.  My name is Jim, I am a computer guy, and I have been desperately looking for a place to escape to for several years now.  I have examined Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, etc...  and I think I have found relative paradise in WY.  From the pictures I have seen the Sheridan area appeals to me most.  However, I won't know until I actually start visiting.  Toward that end I am planning a week long trip over the week of July 4th.  I would like to see how patriotic you (Wyomingites?) all are.  Reference: here in So. Cal.  I have one neighbor who sports his canadian flag on the 4th, and down the street are some folks from england who sport the Union Jack on the 4th (yes I intentionally used lower case spelling of those nouns), not to mention the mexicans.  It's all I can do to keep from burning those flags every year...

So... If you all would be so kind as to direct me to a place or event that would be fabulous for my family to visit on the 4th, and experience Independence like true patriots, while getting a taste of Wyoming, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Jim-

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Another from Kalifornia looking for freedom
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »
As one of those X Californians, I welcome you.

Too bad you can't come in June to the Jamboree. Then you'd meet a couple of hundred of us. Anyway, there is an annual 4th of July event in Hulette, so maybe you can join the bunch there for a BBQ, fireworks and all sorts of other things. Keep your eye on this thread for more information http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?board=9.0

MamaLiberty

It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »
Howdy Jim, Here is one list of things happening in July.

http://wyomingtourism.org/discover_wyoming/events/index.php?month=7&year=2007

I would bet that most of the towns in Wyoming have a fireworks display. Rock Springs has a pretty good show every year.

Miles

" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Prairie Fire

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »
If you are looking towards Sheridan County, there is a real big fireworks display on the evening of July 4 at the Polo Field near BigHorn (there's been polo here for about a hundred years.)

The display is long, close-up, and loud.  In the past, crowd size has been estimated as approaching 10k if I remember right.  There's another one 30 miles east of Sheridan at Ucross, same evening.

Sheridan does have a parade during the morning.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »
      Hi Jim. We here in Laramie are planning a blue helmet shoot for the 4th. You may want to reconsider your trip as the 4th is the beginning of the madness with tourists here. Yellowstone will be virtually unaccessible and the Highway Gestapo will be hoping to fund themselves for the next year. The FSW Jamboree is a must for those of you wishing to re-locate. B

Offline Jackpot

• Social Type
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:22:32 PM »
In the last 6 years ivel lived in California, Texas, Florida, Illinois, and last but not least Wyoming.  Wyoming does the 4th of July right and is by far home to probably the last partriots through and through.  We refer to this holiday in wyoming not as the 4th of July, but Cowboy Christmas because if any date stands for what we believe its this day. 
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:29:33 PM »
In the last 6 years ivel lived in California, Texas, Florida, Illinois, and last but not least Wyoming.? Wyoming does the 4th of July right and is by far home to probably the last partriots through and through.? We refer to this holiday in wyoming not as the 4th of July, but Cowboy Christmas because if any date stands for what we believe its this day.?

Cowboy Christmas!,? love it? ?:D..........? I've not heard the phrase before as it relates to the 4th, anyway.........

BTW, a hearty welcome to A-Dragon.  Join the refugees from slavery in the rest of the country.

Regards, Danl ~W~
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:46:52 PM by Danl »
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline AlbannachDragon

• Reader
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »
Thanks for all your responses!

Unfortunately I cannot make the Jam this year.  I am planning on coming next year.

I have a more long term plan on relocating.  For family reasons I cannot leave Cal for approx. 3 years.  When the timing is right I will leave.  I had been looking at Northern Arizona, Northern Nevada, Colorado, but found each to have significant political shortcomings.  I've lived in Alaska, too cold, lived in Utah, too many Mormons, not bad people but if your not one of them, well... your not one of them.  I'm white and my wife is black, I have heard stories about Idaho and blacks, so that didn't seem right.  I only recently (last 6 months) discovered the free state project, and subsequently FSW.  FSP seemed to have a political agenda, and I really did not want to leave the west.  I like the more free spirit of FSW, the lack of the feeling that one must tow the party line, it just seems "freer".  Wyoming just "feels" right, I will know for sure after a few visits, and the 2008 Jamboree.

Thanks again for all your consideration, it puts a mind at ease knowing there ARE other like minded individuals out there.

-Jim-
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Offline Derringer

• Reader
  • Border Security = Homeland Security
    • Libertarian Party
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 12:11:17 AM »
Jim, I have been struggling with the same decision. It's a big one for me since I am moving with limited resources having just started a company and also looking for a job to help float the expenses. Since you are in computers I have some ideas. Email me directly if you can.... dlarsonrmg@yahoo.com

Dave

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:30:34 PM »
I'm white and my wife is black, I have heard stories about Idaho and blacks, so that didn't seem right.

Don't believe everything you read in the (statist) newspapers. My Chinese wife has never had any problem in any of these states - Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. In fact the only places we had any trouble were in liberal Portland (skinheads) and liberal California!

Look at this piece written by a friend of mine, Quincy OrHai:
http://www.geocities.com/holy_instant/freepolitics.html

He's wrong in #3 though. The problem is not just in Laramie and Missoula.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:36:26 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline AlbannachDragon

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 11:17:16 AM »
Thanks Paul B!  That was a good read, and reassuring.  Curious though, why is #3 wrong? 

Offline biathlon

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:12:27 PM »
    Albannach Dragon, your wifes skin color is totally irrelevant. In fact, the culture here has a long history of accepting folks from "out of town" Look closely at Lewis and Clarks notes from their trip through here and you'll find references to "some very dark skinned natives with the hair af negros" That's because the Northern Arapaho and Western Shoshone had a policy of granting assylum to refugees from the south. Wyoming NEVER had or endorsed slavery and in fact some of our most famous cowboys were/are black. Jesse Stahl, One Horse Jolly, Ism Doc, Bill Picket,,     the list is too long. You and your wife will only be judged by your work ethic and personal integrity. Welcome. B

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »
AD,

I don't think the skin issue will be a problem.  I need to reiterate what Paul said regarding Quincy Orhai's article.  It is a must read.  I would encourage everyone to read this article and other at this website.

Look at this piece written by a friend of mine, Quincy OrHai:
http://www.geocities.com/holy_instant/freepolitics.html

Quincy and his son Max have earned the respect of about everyone they come in contact with.  Great fella........

Regards, Danl ~W~

Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 10:34:24 PM »
Yeah, Max is one of the good ones too! Wrote a Liberty Magazine article about the Free West movement.

Curious though, why is #3 wrong?

Look at my signature line, I spend an inordinate amount of time analyzing the bills in the Wyoming legislature. There are liberty-hostile members of the legislature for sure, but they are not concentrated in Laramie but scattered around the state, most of them not Californai immigrants but good old Wyoming boys (and girls). Sorry, that's the truth as far as I can see, even if it violates closely-held presumptions of most Wyomingites. I can't say one way or another about Montana in this respect.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Blakejoh

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »
Jim, I sympathize with you and your situation.  Like you, my wife and I considered different Western states.  Then, when we finally made our choice (Idaho), it took us 6.5 years to actually make the move from Kalifornia (for family and financial reasons).  It wasn't until after we moved to Idaho that I learned of the FSW, so now we begin the process all over again...  :-)

I hope to meet you in Free Wyoming someday.

-John
P.S.  Hi everyone.  This is my first post.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you, and learning all I can about Wyoming.
He who conquers must vanquish; he who defends must merely survive.